bpi-m5 cinamon contains core dump in the xz, hdmi screen goes away when gui starts monitor goes off, stays off

gene1934

new release date 8/21, boot goes thru first boot stuff ok, but when it starts the gui, hdmi dies and monitor shuts off, no ssh access either.Tried to dl xfce version, won't. Advise gheskett@shentel.net

Earleir image worked fine until update this morning, is now stuck in uboot loop forever.

Thanks

1 hour ago, gene1934 said:

new release date 8/21, boot goes thru first boot stuff ok, but when it starts the gui, hdmi dies and monitor shuts off, no ssh access either.Tried to dl xfce version, won't. Advise gheskett@shentel.net

Earleir image worked fine until update this morning, is now stuck in uboot loop forever.

Thanks

Strange. Vendor asked us to update images with new boot loader that should support most recent board revisions with new memory chips. I don't have that latest board, but those images are:

- automatically tested on stable and unstable kernels https://github.com/armbian/os#latest-smoke-tests-results (no issues found, but testing is limited)

- manually tested Bookworm with Cinnamon desktop (this) on M2PRO (which is identical to M5, just different size and comes with onboard wireless) . Logs https://paste.armbian.com/elogateles

For further diagnosis:

- console boot log
- pcb photo

I don't have facilities or a monitor to hook up to whatever a uart is. I'm out in the middle of nowhere usa, limited to what u-sd cards I can get from wallmart.

I mid prosess of writing the 6.1.30 xfce desktop img to 3 diffferent onn 64gig cards just to save time testing if one will boot, cards are rate 4kuhd with a bg U and a 3 in the middle of that U. This worked and is working on another of these boards, I have a half dozen of them and am in the process of bulding a 3d printer farm of at least 4 printers. But it all went in the toilet when I apt updated the install this morning which put in a newer kernel. Now I'm afraid to update the only one running.. I had made the sd cards with dd up to now, but pulled the latest balenaEtcher AppImage which is now making the 3rd card with the older 6.1.30 xfce image just to see if that makes any diff.  These tests are from a full powerdown and the bpi is powered from a 5 amp box.  These bpi's were purchased from amazon in 2 different shipments, if this doesn't work, I'll try the last new bpi-m5 next.  Thank you for the quick response Wener,

the boot loop has a big block of a hex dump on screen for maybe 300 milliseconds before the screen blanks as it makes yet another attempt at booting, Gone way too fast to snap a picture of it.

The cinnamon 6.1.46 released this morning suffers this and so does the 6.1.30 if its updated to today by apt.  More later, possibly after I've swapped the m5 to a yet sealed one.

call in the st. bernards and drink the whiskey yourselves. I found it. I had plugged in a sabrent usb hub with a vivitar card reader in one port of it,  preparatory to putting a klipper flash into the BTT cards I am putting into the printers. Unlug that piece of crap and it boots just fine. I'll rewrite this morning cinnamon 6.1.46 just to make sure.

Take care and stay well Werner.  Cheers, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net>

There was a time, 45 years ago when I was carving code for an rca 1802 with nothing but the rca programmers manual and a hex editor in a cosmac super elf, when I would have been in hog heaven at the prospect of such an offer But now I'm 88 and have mechanical things in my heart to keep my diabetic ticker running & keeping me going.  So the info traded would likely be from you to me, which doesn't pay your net bills However, there one law no one can break, TANSTAAFL. And I don't do business with paypal since their delays in approving an ebay purchase 20 years ago cost the owner of the tv station I was at, playing consulting engineer ar the time, about $50,000  in lost revenue, Rig your donation page to take my mastercard and you will see a donation as soon as I discover I can use one of my cards to pay w/o having to move it thru paypal.

In the meantime Igor, take care and stay well.

Cheers, <gheskett@shentel.net>

On 8/21/2023 at 8:55 PM, gene1934 said:

pay w/o having to move it thru paypal

I, too, have nothing but disdain for them.

If you follow the link to LiberaPay in my signature (reproduced here for posterity: https://liberapay.com/armbian/) you will find that they also accept credit card payments via Stripe as a processor.  IIRC, you can also do a one-time donation (besides the regular, ongoing subscription).