Odroid XU-4 NAS Hard drives automatically in standby

pinie_pinie

Hello, I use an Odroid XU with Armbian and Webmin as a NAS drive. I have 6 hard drives (GPT format) connected. Under an old Linux version I was able to put the hard drives into standby with /etc/ rc.local (hdparm -S). Since I started running the system with Armbian, standby no longer works. A query via hdparm says "Standby", but the disks are still spinning. Am I fundamentally doing something wrong? Thank you!

9 hours ago, pinie_pinie said:

Since I started running the system with Armbian, standby no longer works.

With XU4 we follow Hardkernel official path and provide what they provide - stock kernel with minor modifications. I would suggest you to made a complain here:
https://forum.odroid.com/viewforum.php?f=225

or switch to old 5.4.y kernel via armbian-config and freeze it.

14 hours ago, pinie_pinie said:

is different now with /etc/rc.local

Armbian still support this way. I verified yesterday on Ubuntu Jammy derivative. Just add some command like

touch /run/test

following by reboot, login and see if file was created at /run

I suggest you to use previous build (or latest but choose 5.4 from armbian config -> old kernels menu), freeze kernel upgrade and enjoy. I am not sure at this point what we will do with this kernel. If Hardkernel stop maintaining it, we might need to roll back to 5.4.y.

14 hours ago, pinie_pinie said:

I always have a stomach ache when it comes to changing the kernel.

I know. We are trying best to take that pain away. Also this way: https://github.com/armbian/os?tab=readme-ov-file#latest-smoke-tests-results but problem is that all this costs a lot of time and we have to cover this from our own pockets almost entirely. Even doing it for everyone, also for our competitors that only wants you (our users) but not our costs of software support.

Hello, First of all, thank you very much for your support and your work on the system. I can imagine how much work goes into this project. As feedback, I would like to share my findings. As I said, I have little knowledge of Linux. But maybe they will help others. The downgrade to kernel 5.4 was unsuccessful under "jammy". It just didn't work. I loaded “bookworm” and it worked there without any problems. Of course I'm not an expert, but I followed the same steps. Anyway, just for information. You were right, under kernel 5.4 the "rc.local" is evaluated with the hdparm command and works. I continued testing. On kernel 6.1 I uninstalled "hdparm" and installed "hd-idle". Under Kernel 6.1 "hd-idle" works without problems. I'm excited. So from my point of view the following conclusion: Kernel 5.4 "hdparm" does not work under Kernel 6.1. I continue to use Kernel 6.1 and send my hard drives to sleep with "hd-idle". You can certainly assess or classify my findings better. In any case, my problem is solved with your support. Thank you for that!!! I found out that “plex” can be installed under armbian-config. My system runs very smoothly with Armbian + Plex on my XU-4. Thank you!!!!