Selling my helios4 & helios64

JRL

Hello everybody,

I would like to sell my helios4 and helios64.

They weren't in operation much and are like new. So they are perfect for spare parts or to use them as a complete replacement.

I really like the products but I don't want the hustle of fiddling around with every new armbian release.

So if anybody is interested you can contact me and/or write here a comment.

Thank you very much!

4 hours ago, JRL said:

I really like the products

What feelings do you have to people that maintain it with their free time and private savings? :) Do / did you help them? Without those people, hardware is just a paperweight, a fake promise.

4 hours ago, JRL said:

hustle of fiddling around with every new armbian release.

Package updates and kernel updates are common for many devices. We officially stop dealing with Helios64 long time / several years ago. I think it was even never officially supported. After that, it was up to random / nobody to maintain it.

In past year there was some self organised attempts to improve Helios64 https://forum.armbian.com/tags/helios64/ while I think Helios4 works just fine and also there we have someone that will keep it in good shape.

Yes, I contribute to many open source projects partially with my own free time and money. What added value does it bring to the topic? If it's not permitted to start such a topic in the first place then please go ahead and simply delete it.

To this point I use Linux on all of my private devices for many years now, so I'm not new to this stuff. But I'm also no kernel/package maintainer and I don't have the time to.

At the moment my devices (helios4 & helios64) are paperweight and my intention was to sell it to someone who can use it and in my opinion this is the right place.

24 minutes ago, JRL said:

Yes, I contribute to many open source projects partially with my own free time and money.

I am sure you do. Me too. I am just saying that project doesn't have enough support from users side to cover for maintaining this device. For you and all other open source projects ... I am sure you would not complain if there would be a better option out there.

What added value does it bring to the topic?

Making sure that everyone that reads this understands, that Armbian project is not to blame for the troubles you have. We didn't sold any promise of support, HW vendors usually do that. That is one reason why I replied and second to inform you that there is some progress on both devices so they are not completely paperweight. There is a hope. 

31 minutes ago, JRL said:

my opinion this is the right place.

It is. I wish you all the best.

and I don't have the time to.

See, we have something in common ;) 

I (still) use Helios4 which has been downgraded to "Community maintained" recently after Armbian 23.8.1. I'm aware that I have to migrate to a different HW later in 2025 because It's getting more difficult every day to deal with a 32-bit system using OMV (plus some docker based services) with Armbian.

Question: Is there any good advice for a 64-bit HW supported by Armbian and (at least) 4 SATA ports?

On 1/30/2024 at 3:50 PM, FredK said:

Question: Is there any good advice for a 64-bit HW supported by Armbian and (at least) 4 SATA ports?

This could be one option:

But beware that most of those cards, including this one, uses SATA port multiplication. For spinning rust over gigabit line this is enough ...

@Igor Thank you for your comment and caveat.

SATA port multiplication is definitely a no-go for my application (OMV6 + RAID5 with 4 8TB HDD). Is there any Armbian-based recommendation supporting 4 SATA ports "natively"?

I want to avoid to go away from Armbian and looking for for a Mini-ITX based configuration (e.g. Intel N100).