OrangePi 5 Plus with kernel 6.10.x not booting?

Go to solution Solved by UnlikelyLass,

Hello! First time poster, long time admirer.

I've been unable to get ANY of the 6.10.x images to boot off SD card (Sandisk Extreme) for the Orange Pi 5 Plus.

Specific images which are not working for me:

Has anybody else had better luck?

Armbian & Khadas are rewarding contributors

I noticed that the 6.10 don't have te blue/green heartbeat, it stays red. 

Also, hdmi for unusual resolutions is not working yet.

Maybe you have the feeling that it's not turning on because of that. Can you try in a different monitor?

13 hours ago, Keno said:

yes I am running a weird display resolution too. 

But you are running kernel 6.1.y WHICH IS NOT KERNEL 6.10.y, that is mainline derived and still unfinished. It is clearly marked on the download side.

Kernel 6.1.y works with Armbian perfectly and on weird HW. Mainline (6.10.y) has been in development for several years by a company and several full time engineers. Not by single person.

Joushua uses identical kernel - bugs are identical too on low level.

13 hours ago, Keno said:

I stopped wasting my time

Use images with kernel 6.1.y recommended for end users. They work perfectly.

13 hours ago, Keno said:

I see people claiming its "hardware"

It's hardware interface. Use the one that works, 6.1.y, distro jumping makes no diff. But you should know that by now and you are of course free to choose. Just remember to make a donation to support developers - we don't compete for free riders, we work together to make it best for all!

On the Orange Pi 5  (Armbian_24.8.0-trunk.468_Orangepi5_noble_edge_6.10.2_gnome-kisak_desktop.img.xz) Is booting, but I get no output to a monitor via HDMI, using standard resolutions. However, I can access via ssh.

I would guess the relevant error from DMESG is 

rockchip-drm display-subsystem: [drm:rockchip_drm_platform_probe [rockchipdrm]] *ERROR* No available vop found for display-subsystem.

I also note my NVME drive goes missing.

Finally, it is not my experience that any version of Armbian, or Joshua Riek's distro, works well on the Orange Pi 5. All versions are problematic with the VPU, in my case, all versions eventually crash displaying 1080p HEVC video.  This is why I, and I suspect many others, are interested in the 6.10 kernel, with MESA/panthor. 

• Solution

Finally got back to this!

I was wrong — it’s definitely booting.  But the change to the LED color and the fact that it’s only outputting on one of the HDMI ports (the middle one) instead of both fooled me into thinking it’s not.

That said, I am unable to correctly do an initial setup (just tried again with today’s rolling image) due to the screen just filling with:

fdee0000.hdmi_receiver: hdmirx_wait_lock_and_get_timing: HDMI pull out, return

The usual setup output is visible initially, interleaved with the above text, but is eventually fully pushed off the screen.  And typing doesn’t appear to do anything — I haven’t been able to generate a functional normal booting instance this way, although it’s probably possible.

Anyway — I was wrong, it’s definitely booting, and my issues are a different set of issues entirely.

Thanks for the suggestions and information!

-Dana

I'll give it a try, here you go ... https://paste.armbian.com/waqaquzihu (the debug log)
Booting no hdmi display support, SSH is working fine.

And something just for fun :)

~$ vulkaninfo
Cannot create Vulkan instance.
This problem is often caused by a faulty installation of the Vulkan driver or attempting to use a GPU that does not support Vulkan.
ERROR at ./vulkaninfo/vulkaninfo.h:649:vkCreateInstance failed with ERROR_INCOMPATIBLE_DRIVER

Edited by Avatar Ng
typo