I can't find the script.bin file to change hdmi resolution

vr@m

Good morning everyone, I'm trying to find the script.bin file in my nanopi M1 in order to change HDMI resolution but untill now it has been impossible to find it. I'm using the debian that provides friendlyarm in version 3.4xxx (the one attached to in the page). I've been using all I commands and modes that I know, even show hidden files and nothing

I know this is not a conventional linux device (its a development platform with a ARM Alwinner H3 processor in it) but since it has debian jessie, I think somone can help me find where the HDMI config files are.

when I use find, it shows this:

root@FriendlyELEC:/# find / -name script*.bin
root@FriendlyELEC:/#
[/CODE]

what means it simply found nothing.

the image "Sistema de archivos del nanopi M1.png" shows the explorer of the nanopi:

The developer of the platform says that those files are in the root directory of the TF card's boot partition but...I can't find it!

Thanks in advance for the help

Sistema de archivos del nanopi M1.PNG

25 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

You should add quote to find command : find / -name "script*.bin" .

You will find it in /boot ...

Hi @martinayotte, thanks for your answer. Look, the first place where I looked was the /boot folder but there are only the folder System Volume Information, the boot.img file and the bootlogo.bmp, I've searched for hidden files in that folder and nothing shows up, then I used the command find and nothing at all. What else can I do?

I was thinking about creating the script.bin file but I need to take care about the possible options.

Contenido de boot.PNG

1 hour ago, martinayotte said:

Which image file are you using ?

1 hour ago, giri@nwrk.biz said:

Please post the output of following command:

sudo ls /dev/

It is probably in a separate partition ...

1 hour ago, giri@nwrk.biz said:

Jep I also think so

From this link: http://wiki.friendlyarm.com/wiki/index.php/NanoPi_M1#Get_Image_Files, I'm using the image file nanopi-m1_debian-jessie_3.4.y_YYYYMMDD.img.zipDebian-Desktop Image File, kernel:Linux-3.4.y (the third in the list) because in accord to the developer, it has all the drivers configured (the 4.x doesn't).

And yes, I think it is in another partition because in the old M1 wiki that I've downloaded, says this:

HDMI Resolution

Our Debian system's HDMI resolution is set by a script.bin file in the root directory of the installation TF card's boot section. By
default the resolution is 1080P60. There are multiple script.bin files under that directory for different resolutions. For example
if you want to modify the resolution to 720P60 you can use the script-720p-60.bin file to replace the existing one by using the
following command:

# in TF card boot partition
cp script /script-720p- 60.bin . /script.bin

but in the actual wiki they doesn't have any reference to it, in the other hand, I taught that there is another hidden partition whose I don't know how to access. Can you help me?

The answer of the ls command is this:

ls en dev.PNG

the new wiki doesn't add any reference to the HDMI resolution.

Edited by vr@m
forgot to write something

8 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

To mount the other partition, since "df" is proably reporting that /dev/mmcblk0p2 mounted as root /, doing a "mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt"  will mount it in /mnt, and therefore you can find the script.bin file there...

Well, I did the "mount" command and if I do a "df" again, it shows that mmcblk0p1 is mounted in /mnt but when I do a "ls" or look through the file explores, it shows the System Volume Information, the boot.img and the boot..bmp, only that.

37 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

The link you provided above, http://wiki.friendlyarm.com/wiki/index.php/NanoPi_M1#Get_Image_Files , doesn't provide any such file nanopi-m1_debian-jessie_3.4.y_YYYYMMDD.img.zip , and several other links are broken.

Sorry, I can't help more ...

I suggest that you use Armbian instead !

I've forgot to tell, over the table there is a small arrow that leads to the download site, just if you wanna see, either way I will try armbian

Just now, martinayotte said:

Yes, I saw that link, but this page https://www.mediafire.com/folder/3q2911p1qp33p/NanoPi-M1Board doesn't provide any images in any subfolders, it is kind of another broken/useless link.

Probably some sord of problem with mediafire in your zone, I've just opened and the link that directs to all the image files supposedly supported by friendlyarm is this: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/3q2911p1qp33p/NanoPi-M1Board#dc73df73c6dk6.

Just to clarify: I'm givin you the direct link just to inform, in fact, I'm very grateful with your help, you told me a lot of things in this post. The thing is that I'm trying to solve the problem with this board is because it comes with a lot of libraries to work the device GPIO in C language what is the principal language that I wanna use, plus the WiringPi redeloped by other user and all the usual things, python, etc, etc.

Maybe I forgot to check this specific sub-folder and looked at all the other ... :(

Anyway, even with Armbian image, you will still be able to use WiringPi and other libs.

Have some happy hacking !

EDIT : I've downloaded the image, and effectively, I didn't find any script.bin, which look a bit strange ...

23 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

I didn't find any script.bin, which look a bit strange ...

You won't. It's glued with u-boot and changing any parameter is not very user-friendly: https://github.com/friendlyarm/h3_lichee. This kernel has only few screen sizes and certainly no utility for changing.

Some time ago, this was hacked and brought to script.bin loading more human way.

Maybe I forgot to check this specific sub-folder and looked at all the other ... :(

Anyway, even with Armbian image, you will still be able to use WiringPi and other libs.

Have some happy hacking !

EDIT : I've downloaded the image, and effectively, I didn't find any script.bin, which look a bit strange ...

Well, with WiringPi (i think it is programmed like an arduino) the GPIO can be programmed but is a programming method that doesn't like to much because it jumps over all the program practices of C and C++ and it lands directly like if one were programming inside the interrupt routine for ever (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), it is extremely good if you want to solve problems quickly or program a PLC but for now (and for having a litle bit of practice) I prefer to program in C or C++.  Either way I will try Python and of course, Java and others. I have a lot of pending code to make a home automation project. :D

And thanks for the good wishes @martinayotte :beer:

37 minutes ago, Igor said:

You won't. It's glued with u-boot and changing any parameter is not very user-friendly: https://github.com/friendlyarm/h3_lichee. This kernel has only few screen sizes and certainly no utility for changing.

Some time ago, this was hacked and brought to script.bin loading more human way.

Hi @Igor, I was expecting a more friendly news but well, i'll learn how to make things but first the first. If I create the script.bin file and the other resolutions .bin files and after that I dumped all in the /boot folder which is in mmcblk0p2 (the one that @martinayotte shows me), it is possible to force the kernel to load this script.bin file on boot?

I was thinking that because the image in the file that I've downloaded when I buyed the board, I could see those files but friendlyarm decided to changed the way you said and because I saw this article (in spanish)

https://descubriendolaorangepi.wordpress.com/2017/02/16/modificando-script-bin-cambiar-resolucion-de-salida-de-video-hdmi/

where is told how to modify the HDMI resolution of an H3 board by changing the content of the script.bin.

Edited by vr@m
forgot to write something

5 hours ago, vr@m said:

Well, with WiringPi (i think it is programmed like an arduino) the GPIO can be programmed but is a programming method that doesn't like to much because it jumps over all the program practices of C and C++ and it lands directly like if one were programming inside the interrupt routine for ever (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

I've never look to WiringPi in details since I'm mostly using this Python library : https://github.com/duxingkei33/orangepi_PC_gpio_pyH3

Even if you wish to write C/C++ application, this library could be useful by copying plain C part of it (mostly gpio_lib.*).

The thing is that most libraries, including WiringPi, is accessing GPIO registers using /dev/mem mapping to a base pointer, and then doing proper registers manipulations.

So, even for Java, you could do some plain C binding ...

8 hours ago, vr@m said:

Hi @Igor, I was expecting a more friendly news

I hope you didn't miss this answer? FriendlyARM did not change anything relevant regarding the kernel since it was released, about 2-3 years ago. They are using stock Allwinner SDK which is in a terrible state.  In Spanish article is used our kernel - as it is used in most cases since it's in the far better state. Also userspace. Literally years ago we also started with that Allwinner kernel, more precisely we took a kernel that was already slightly fixed and invested "thousands of hours" over the top to make it usable, remove bugs, add functionality, ... You are welcome to use whatever kernel/image you like but not expect our support for that since it ends with our PGP signed images. For many reasons. You will also not get any support for this image from their creators.

You are deciding between minefield of troubles with no help VS https://www.armbian.com/download with ours and community help. 

8 minutes ago, Igor said:

I hope you didn't miss this answer? FriendlyARM did not change anything relevant regarding the kernel since it was released, about 2-3 years ago. They are using stock Allwinner SDK which is in a terrible state.  In Spanish article is used our kernel - as it is used in most cases since it's in the far better state. Also userspace. Literally years ago we also started with that Allwinner kernel, more precisely we took a kernel that was already slightly fixed and invested "thousands of hours" over the top to make it usable, remove bugs, add functionality, ... You are welcome to use whatever kernel/image you like but not expect our support for that since it ends with our PGP signed images. For many reasons. You will also not get any support for this image from their creators.

You are deciding between minefield of troubles with no help VS https://www.armbian.com/download with ours and community help. 

Well, thank you @Igor, you are giving me a pretty good reasons to change the image of my nanopi to raspbian, thank you a lot.

3 hours ago, martinayotte said:

I've never look to WiringPi in details since I'm mostly using this Python library : https://github.com/duxingkei33/orangepi_PC_gpio_pyH3

Even if you wish to write C/C++ application, this library could be useful by copying plain C part of it (mostly gpio_lib.*).

The thing is that most libraries, including WiringPi, is accessing GPIO registers using /dev/mem mapping to a base pointer, and then doing proper registers manipulations.

So, even for Java, you could do some plain C binding ...

Thank you @martinayotte, I will try this image. You and Igor gave too good reasons to change to armbian.

No problem. It's a lot of confusion in our world ... so another small clarification might be on the spot here. Raspbian is another trick used by the board maker marketing departments to suggest RPi compatibility while it's just this immature kernel we are talking about and Raspbian userspace.

On 15/10/2017 at 2:36 AM, Igor said:

No problem. It's a lot of confusion in our world ... so another small clarification might be on the spot here. Raspbian is another trick used by the board maker marketing departments to suggest RPi compatibility while it's just this immature kernel we are talking about and Raspbian userspace.

armbian isntalled and untill now it seems to me a lot better than the original debian jessie of friendlyarm but I've a new problem with the sound, please check this new thread:

https://forum.armbian.com/index.php?/topic/5493-armbian-in-nanopi-m1-with-no-hdmi-sound/