No HDMI Sound OpiPC/Armbian

DeterminedOpier

Hello all.  

Try as I might, I can't get HDMI sound on my OpiPC.  

orangepi@orangepipc:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: audiocodec [audiocodec], device 0: SUNXI-CODEC sndcodec-0 []
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: sndhdmi [sndhdmi], device 0: SUNXI-HDMIAUDIO sndhdmi-0 []
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I originally had no asound.conf, but I made one:

pcm.!default {
   type hw
   card 1
}

ctl.!default {
   type hw
   card 1
}

Looking around, I see an unanswered question on this from '16.  HDMI on the TV does work with a Meego stick. 

I did have audio through the headphone jack before I went and added the asound.conf and edited the alsa config file. But HDMI just refuses to work. 

HDMI sound works for me on a legacy desktop version with Orangepi PC.

Whenever reporting some malfunction, provide as much useful data as possible. We operate too many boards.

Hi again Igor. Thanks for explaining the utility. I hope at some point you'll come back.  I have a new development.  Burned an image of retrorangepi and lo and behold, the HDMI sound works.

So I may try to make this image do what I need it to do for my main project. But I'd still like to get the base image working correctly.

This is the link for the retrorangepi system: http://sprunge.us/WDdG

thank you guys just SO SO much for all the information as i have the exact same problem - no HDMI sound and i was wondering what's going on. i am now going to try your methods and will come back to update later. as for now thanks again for everything and thanks determinedopier for link https://musclegurus.com/ do you mind if i am going to have some other questions to ask you people later? i see you really know these things! thanks again!

On 21.11.2017 at 3:51 AM, DeterminedOpier said:

pcm.!default {

type hw
   card 1
}

ctl.!default {
   type hw
   card 1
}

mine has one line more - on many different Pi-computers - doesnt know if this line does the magic:

pcm.!default {
    type hw
    card 1
    device 0
}

ctl.!default {
    type hw
    card 1
}

because

card 1: sndhdmi [sndhdmi], device 0: SUNXI-HDMIAUDIO sndhdmi-0 []

Thanks. But didn't work. :) I also tried copying the asound.conf from the HDMI sound working image from retrorangepi and that didn't work either. They have this whole dmixer thing going on there, and I did an apt-cache search on dmixer and got nothing. Wish I could get the dongle to work on the other image at least. It's like a circle. One does one thing I want and the other one does the other thing, but ner the two shall meet. 

On 11/24/2017 at 5:44 PM, Thistried said:

thank you guys just SO SO much for all the information as i have the exact same problem - no HDMI sound and i was wondering what's going on. i am now going to try your methods and will come back to update later. as for now thanks again for everything and thanks determinedopier for link. do you mind if i am going to have some other questions to ask you people later? i see you really know these things! thanks again!

Lol I didn't give any information and my methods have failed.  Just tried to burn a fresh image for the opipc and same issue, sound through headphones but not through hdmi. Fortunately the TV has an 1/8" audio in.  It looks like on the retrorangepi image they used some fancy software footwork to get the hdmi to work. 

Igor replied in the opi board. 

I have no idea how to switch from analog to HDMI.

It is very simple and it works. I just checked on latest Ubuntu desktop image with legacy kernel. Click to audio settings/icon in upper right corner and switch "Default sink" to sndhdmi analogue stereo

I tested playing this video http://samplemedia.linaro.org/H2 ... fps_7200K_short.MP4