6 6
jock

CSC Armbian for RK3288 TV Box boards (Q8)

Recommended Posts

On 10/29/2018 at 10:45 AM, Sergei Steshenko said:

Any news on new images ?

 

Just built this new Armbian Bionic 5.65 - dev kernel 4.18.16, which seems to work quite well with the updated Media Script by @JMCC for Bionic, but still no hw acceleration for video decoding. This build raises a kernel error about an "Unbalanced IRQ", but the system is stable and the functionality does not seem to be hindered.

 

I also built a default rockchip kernel image. but does not boot. I'm thinking to build the rockchip kernel without armbian patches to see if it is definitely in a bad state or there is some misconfiguration or patch triggering issues. For this you have to wait some time :/

 

edit: I see from the armbian commits that rockchip kernel has been forked by Armbian people, maybe there's a good chance to get something stable soon...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2018 at 1:10 AM, jock said:

 

Just built this new Armbian Bionic 5.65 - dev kernel 4.18.16, which seems to work quite well with the updated Media Script by @JMCC for Bionic, but still no hw acceleration for video decoding. This build raises a kernel error about an "Unbalanced IRQ", but the system is stable and the functionality does not seem to be hindered.

 

I also built a default rockchip kernel image. but does not boot. I'm thinking to build the rockchip kernel without armbian patches to see if it is definitely in a bad state or there is some misconfiguration or patch triggering issues. For this you have to wait some time :/

 

edit: I see from the armbian commits that rockchip kernel has been forked by Armbian people, maybe there's a good chance to get something stable soon...

I have tried the new image and the new media script - in which I chose the experimental option.

 

After playing a short HD video (2:15) in Chromium the desktop got stuck. First the mouse pointer was still moving, but I couldn't do anything with it, e.g. I couldn't move a window. Then the system got stuck completely.

 

I will try the stable version of the media script.

 

At the moment I have a much bigger heatsink (38mm x 38mm x 25mm), so the CPU temperature according to 'armbianmonitor -M' is about 45C, i.e. this is not a factor of instability.

 

Upon boot I still see the vertical magenta strip on the left side of the monitor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sergei Steshenko said:

I have tried the new image and the new media script - in which I chose the experimental option.

 

After playing a short HD video (2:15) in Chromium the desktop got stuck. First the mouse pointer was still moving, but I couldn't do anything with it, e.g. I couldn't move a window. Then the system got stuck completely.

 

I will try the stable version of the media script.

 

At the moment I have a much heatsink (38mm x 38mm x 25mm), so the CPU temperature according to 'armbianmonitor -M' is about 45C, i.e. this is not a factor of instability.

 

Upon boot I still see the vertical magenta strip on the left side of the monitor.

I have tried the stable version of the stuff in the media script. To make sure there's no mix up I ref-lashed the SD card, i.e. it was a clean install.

 

Things are better with the stable version. E.g. Chromium does not cause the system to become uncontrollable as a result of playing the same video.

 

MPV works quite well.

 

GST player appears to be useless, and it was so in earlier images. It is useless in the sense it doesn't play the same videos MPV can play, and it doesn't report any problem. I.e. it does nothing.

 

The bad news is Kodi. It didn't start after asking the used password, and the system became uncontrollable - like in the quoted post. I.e. mouse pointer moves, but that's it - I can do anything. I can't move windows, I can invoke another application, etc.

 

Regarding audio - there are two items with the same name in the sources to select from - IIRC the name is "Built-in Analog Stereo" or something like this. Sound through HDMI plays if I choose the upper entry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, if I first switch to a virtual terminal, and then from there invoke Kodi, it at least partially works. I .e. I was able to watch a video.

 

The vertical magenta stripe is still there - removed by unplugging and plugging again the HDMI cable. Audio source should again be selected, i.e. Kodi is not aware of settings made during the desktop session.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for reporting back all these infos!

At the moment I'm looking into pulseaudio "Build-in Audio Stereo" issue for both SPDIF and HDMI.

A little trick to know who is who is to click on the speaker on the upper right corner, then go to "Default Sink" and then hover the mouse cursor on a label: there should appear a large overlay with many details about the sink, including the hardware name.

 

I'm also experimenting with xf86-video-armsoc driver, which provides a very smooth desktop experience. Some drawbacks are the lack of vsync (can be annoying watching videos), and some strange issues with fullscreen: kodi and glmark2 don't update their content, but quake/quake2 works really well. By the way, I still did not experience any lockup or freeze using it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Sergei Steshenko said:

Do the images correct reported in this thread issues ?

If you mean issues about the Media Script, no it won't because the issues are of the Media Script (and related things) and not the Armbian image itself.

By the way, I'm having discrete satisfaction using armsoc xf86 driver instead of modesetting: it has good 2D performance and 3D works. Videos are still decoded in software, but Kodi and mpv seems to run fine. I'm using the TV Box as desktop replacement (mostly browsing with Firefox) and it works pretty well!

 

If you want to give it a try, I suggest you to start from a fresh image with mainline or dev kernel.

Decompress this archive (armsoc compiled driver against X.Org 1.19.6, works only on mainline kernels) into /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers and create /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-armsoc.conf with this content:

Section "Device"
        Identifier "Mali FBDEV"
        Driver "armsoc"
EndSection

Then decompress also the Media Script and install the Mali drivers with:

$ sudo dpkg -i packages/libs/libmali-rk-midgard-t76x-r14p0-r0p0_1.6-1-0armbian1_armhf.deb

it should be sufficient to run Kodi and mpv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have read https://github.com/paolosabatino/xf86-video-armsoc - what is "bo" in, say, "Summary of bo reference counting" - ? Is it Buffer Overlays ?

 

Also, regarding "Decompress this archive (armsoc compiled driver against X.Org 1.19.6, works only on mainline kernels)" vs "I suggest you to start from a fresh image with mainline or dev kernel" - does it mean that for dev (not mailine) kernel one has to compile xf86-video-armsoc himself ?

 

What are practical advantages of using xf86-video-armsoc compared to what comes out of the box ?

 

Regarding the issues I've mentioned. I meant issues like sound devices names, for example. And IIRC somebody else was talking about IR remote control codes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sergei Steshenko said:

I have read https://github.com/paolosabatino/xf86-video-armsoc - what is "bo" in, say, "Summary of bo reference counting" - ? Is it Buffer Overlays ?

That's X11 nomenclature which I did not dealt with. It may be Buffer Object or whatever, my main purpose for creating another fork of Armsoc driver was to leverage mainline kernel DRM interface and add hardware mouse cursor for Rockchip. Eventually it turned out that the same driver was "tidied up" to run on amlogic and allwinner devices too and made VSynced page flipping somewhat working.

 

11 hours ago, Sergei Steshenko said:

Also, regarding "Decompress this archive (armsoc compiled driver against X.Org 1.19.6, works only on mainline kernels)" vs "I suggest you to start from a fresh image with mainline or dev kernel" - does it mean that for dev (not mailine) kernel one has to compile xf86-video-armsoc himself ?

armbian next and dev kernels are both mainline kernels, instead default (or also legacy) is the kernel branch developed by Rockchip.

You can use the Armsoc driver in the archive I pointed you both with next or dev armbian kernels (which are mainline), but it won't work with default (or legacy) kernels

 

11 hours ago, Sergei Steshenko said:

What are practical advantages of using xf86-video-armsoc compared to what comes out of the box ?

For my personal experience, it works much better with 2D desktop graphics than modesetting + glamor and allows 3D acceleration too. It is far from being perfect, but it is another choice which works and may better fit some needs.

 

11 hours ago, Sergei Steshenko said:

Regarding the issues I've mentioned. I meant issues like sound devices names, for example. And IIRC somebody else was talking about IR remote control codes.

Still working on that pulseaudio issue, trying to find the least intrusive way to define the soundcard description names. Instead I'm not aware about IR remote control codes issues, can you point it out to me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sergei Steshenko said:

 I meant bottom part of

post.

 

The remote keycodes are already fixed ages ago, and it was just a cosmetic issue (I used scancodes instead of human-readable constants, nothing to really worry about)

The i2s problem turned out to be a pro777's box issue.

The soundcard name in the device tree filters into ALSA device name but is not collected by pulseaudio, but I'm working on it. As a workaround you can add these two lines at the bottom of /etc/pulse/default.pa file:

update-sink-proplist alsa_output.platform-soundcard-hdmi.stereo-fallback device.description="HDMI Digital Output"
update-sink-proplist alsa_output.platform-soundcard-spdif.stereo-fallback device.description="SPDIF Digital Output"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@jock I just signed up to the forum. I just wanted to thank you for your work.  I've been reading through the forums for the past few days.  Many years ago I purchased a MK903V Android TV stick.  https://us.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_157926.html I had a lot of fun messing around with it in Android with emulators and whatnot but It struggled to play videos.  It collected dust for a few years.  With the release for the Tinkerboard,  I got excited to see the RK3288 being used for current Linux builds.  Long story short and through trial and error I was able to get your Q8 Debian (Russian build) running.  I have a lot for learning to do, most of these posts are like a foreign language to me but it's awesome have linux running on this device.  Thank you and everyone else who have shared their work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
6 6