1 1
gounthar

Where to build Armbian in the cloud?

I have machines available at work, but I loose quite a big amount of time fighting with proxy issues.
I also have VM available with proxy almost correctly configured (some protocols/ports don't work, like for adding gpg key), but the disks aren't big enough.
At home, I have network without any proxy, but it's not that good...
So, I was wondering if I could try and build Armbian on the cloud... for free.
I tried several websites like google cloud and other services offering Docker, but I haven't found any with enough disk space.

tar: gcc-linaro-7.2.1-2017.11-x86_64_arm-eabi/lib: Cannot mkdir: No space left on devicetar: gcc-linaro-7.2.1-2017.11-x86_64_arm-eabi/lib/libmpfr.a: Cannot open: No such file or directorytar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors[ o.k. ] Download complete[ warn ] Low free space left [ 0 GiB ]Press <Ctrl-C> to abort compilation, <Enter> to ignore and continue

Is anyone of you building in the cloud?

Thanks.

15 minutes ago, gounthar said:

It's a nightmare to get Docker to work on my work Windows machine because of security constraints.

Why don't you use full virtualization then? Virtualbox for example?

16 minutes ago, gounthar said:

I will have to buy a NUC for home or something like that in order to build it.

Just remember that this will be slow :) Get rather some used, Intel I7 4790K, pre/previous generation gaming PC without a dedicated graphics card. It will be way more bang.

Thanks a lot for the advice @Igor. I already managed to build some of the images with VirtualBox, but as some of them don't build on my system, I thought this was linked to my use of VirtualBox. I'm using Docker on Linux machines which are stuck behind a corporate proxy, and who don't have much disk space.
And as I have lots of security constraints on my Windows machine, some ports close after some time, so it's difficult to get a full build without being always next to the machine to check its state. :blink:

This week-end, I'm trying to build for the OrangePi One Plus, but I'm spending too much time finding a clean build environment instead of working for Armbian. :(

I'll see if I can find something with an I7.

41 minutes ago, TonyMac32 said:

I use an i7-3770 for the job.

doesn't need to be an i7.. :P i5-2500k, 8GB DDR3 ram and a decent SSD (samsung evo).. besides the SSD, this system is around 6-7 years old and builds images in 10-20mins (depending on 'cachelevel'). Even on my 5 years old i5 notebook (i5-3317U with 4gb ram) I'm able to build an image in 20-30min. Both machines work obviously with native ubuntu without doker etc. (not recommended)

Edit: the first build on my shitty notebook will take a way longer... probably 2 hours.. 

Ah, a XEON would be nice. my machine won't boot an nvme directly so I have a spinner for the system, I put the ccache local on the ssd.  16 GB DDR3.

I also have a setup on a cheap $300 ASUS laptop, i3 and spinning disk.  It is slow, but works if I'm wanting time away form my in-laws. :lol::ph34r: