Armbian usable on RK TV-Boxes?

chessplayer

On 8/15/2018 at 10:17 AM, balbes150 said:

Power supply 2A. This means that you will not be able to fully use all the features of the device. So have to spend money to buy a new PSU.

Well done Balbes, but it doesn't say a word about PSU :-(

Good morning forum, this is my first post here , didn't find a presentation section, so here I am

thanks to the work of some people finally there is a kernel 4.4. stable and well running on RK 3229 tv boxes
The original ROOTFS from linaro is starting fine and all is working out of the box, except the wifi chip ssv6051 that never has been compiled. The desktop is debian with lxde environment and is showing up in all parts
But has been personalized for another purpose that is respeaker echo system

What is missing is the hardwate accelleration so I was wondering if the armbian method and scripts could be usefull to bring up support for better performances on video or those scripts are specific only to rk 33xx platform and not to rk32xx platform

The sources are public avaible from rockchip 

Anyone interested in testing on rk 3329 tv boxes?

Edited by fabiobassa
mispelling a word

On 10/6/2019 at 11:31 PM, fabiobassa said:

thanks to the work of some people finally there is a kernel 4.4. stable and well running on RK 3229 tv boxes
The original ROOTFS from linaro is starting fine and all is working out of the box, except the wifi chip ssv6051 that never has been compiled. The desktop is debian with lxde environment and is showing up in all parts

Where can I get this version you say can run on rk3229?

hello amirul , doesnt exist yet a github with final work since the video acceleration is actually insufficient
Also many variables since a lot of different harware combinations even on same shape box

anyway if you would have a test ( not good for playing videos in youtube or vlc thought, perfect to have a server, a pihole , a samba share , a print server at the moment) i can give you useful infos to compile all stuff by youself ( only kernel because root file system is public gpl from respeaker)

which board have you?

On 10/13/2019 at 12:32 PM, fabiobassa said:

which board have you?

I have the Magicsee N6 Max. Currently running Armbian_5.98_Rk3399-tv_Ubuntu_bionic_next_5.4.0-rc2-next-20191011_desktop from @balbes150

Running great but lost wifi in the move from kernel 4. Waiting for panfrost to get up to speed for some hw acc goodness on the desktop :)

hi @fabiobassa - it might be good to write down your information how to get it working on rk3229 either here or maybe make a new thread for the rk3229. this way the information would be publicly available and others might join your effort or try it out.

best wishes - hexdump

@amirul

but you are speaking of a Rk3399 , here we talking of rk3229. Maybe I misunderstood ?

@hexdump

sure this is a nice idea: maybe opening a whole new thread would be the best

in the meanwhile I would like to share how difficult is working on those boards !! Look here:

two board apparentely ugual but one is emmc the other is nand!
On one the whole stuf is booting out of box, on other wont boot because uboot don't recognizes nand

By the way actually  have a stable 4.4 kernel with a decent rootfs from linaro debian stretch 9 with decent usabe desktop
what is missing is the propietary acceleration , I am trying to adapt some scripts I found on this forum for other boards but need collaboration

Ok let me know what is the best to do,if continue here or open a new thread

photo_2019-10-17_11-19-53.jpg

Edited by fabiobassa
added some infos

@fabiobassa Open a new thread focusing just on rk3229. It's a very old SoC, and probably you won't get much support from the community because of the newly-released SoCs, but nonetheless it's easier by far to find and share experiences in a dedicated thread.

About acceleration, I guess you mean hardware graphics acceleration? If so, it's up to rockchip to release the right ARM Mali drivers tailored for the rk3229 chip, nonetheless the opensource lima driver landed in mainline kernel and mainline mesa and it is already working at least for some clients (ie: Kodi)

as @fabiobassa seems to have never created its own rk3229 thread, i'll just add some information sources regarding this topic here in case others want to continue working on it (i myself do not have any rk3229 device anymore):

best wishes - hexdump

@hexdump

yes you right never opened a different 3ad 

but I went in bad mood when I read this on official respeaker site:

rockchp's xf86-video-armsoc looks like a semi-finished product, This feature may not be supported in the future

it seems no interest in developing a decent support to video acceleration
BTW i can publish at least a method to get a working kernel if this interests someone

On 12/8/2019 at 5:10 PM, fabiobassa said:

@hexdump

yes you right never opened a different 3ad 

but I went in bad mood when I read this on official respeaker site:

it seems no interest in developing a decent support to video acceleration
BTW i can publish at least a method to get a working kernel if this interests someone

My armsoc variant (you can find it here) has decent support for video acceleration. To be honest I just fixed some minor issues to get page flipping when in full-screen and copy-pasted some code to allow rockchip, amlogic and allwinner chipset to use the DRM dumb buffers in mainline kernels; nonetheless using it you can then use the proprietary Mali drivers to get windowed and full-screen 3d acceleration. I don't what is the state of DRM bits for rk3229, maybe it worth a try (but you need mainline kernel).

@jock
first of all ty for your kind replay

well you are the 1st to go deep in specific problem.
I googled a lot about this  , what i am experiencing when I launch chromium by the command line is:

* Device driver API mismatch
 * Device driver API version: 900
 * User space API version: 850
[1783:1783:1208/160338.308404:ERROR:gl_surface_egl.cc(744)] eglInitialize Default failed with error EGL_BAD_ALLOC
[1783:1783:1208/160338.308774:ERROR:gl_initializer_x11.cc(166)] GLSurfaceEGL::InitializeOneOff failed.
[1783:1783:1208/160338.350669:ERROR:gpu_child_thread.cc(252)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
[1711:1745:1208/160338.520673:ERROR:browser_gpu_channel_host_factory.cc(103)] Failed to launch GPU process.

as I said many many times I am not a coder, but a good technician with good soldering skills and optimum hardware modding, but of couse can even read a bit of " diagnostic" so it is clear there is a mismatch between kernel driver and userspace libraries

anyway here it goes the new 3ad on rk3229  devices

https://forum.armbian.com/topic/12401-long-story-linux-on-rk3229-rockchip/

I have no problems to go on mainline 5.x.x, but here is lacking of rk_nand drivers so compilations will only work on devices with emmc

post scriptum :
maybe you forgot the link to your  work ???

you can find it here

where ??

Edited by fabiobassa
added link to new 3ad

2 hours ago, fabiobassa said:

@jock
first of all ty for your kind replay

well you are the 1st to go deep in specific problem.
I googled a lot about this  , what i am experiencing when I launch chromium by the command line is:

as I said many many times I am not a coder, but a good technician with good soldering skills and optimum hardware modding, but of couse can even read a bit of " diagnostic" so it is clear there is a mismatch between kernel driver and userspace libraries

anyway here it goes the new 3ad on rk3229  devices

https://forum.armbian.com/topic/12401-long-story-linux-on-rk3229-rockchip/

I have no problems to go on mainline 5.x.x, but here is lacking of rk_nand drivers so compilations will only work on devices with emmc

post scriptum :
maybe you forgot the link to your  work ???

where ??

Oops, I removed the link by mistake... <_< I fixed it, so you can following the link in the previous post. You can compile the driver and install it, it may work or may not work, as I said I don't know the DRM state for rk3229. Then you need to compile and install the kernel driver for mali 400/450 (rk3328 has the mali 450, you should be able to use that one), then install the userspace egl/opengles libraries. It's a bit long journey, I know.

Thanks for the new thread, I will read it into, even if I don't own an rk3229 box (I got a rk3288).

edit: You can take a look to this post, you can find there a precompiled armsoc (which may or may not work for your xorg server version) and some instructions on how to install it. Armsoc driver replaces the default Modesetting xorg driver, which in general is not a great idea, but only Armsoc is capable to let EGL and OpenGL ES proprietary userspace libraries work for 3D acceleration.

edit 2: hardware acceleration should also work on legacy 4.4 kernel. There you should also get some video decoding acceleration which will probably never be supported on mainline for that chipset. But you will need a different armsoc driver than mine if you want to run it on legacy 4.4 kernel because the DRM interface is different (no generic dumb buffers on 4.4, instead there are per-vender IOCTLs :/ ) and the armsoc driver has to deal with that.

• Werner locked this topic