Armbian for TV box rk3328

balbes150

Following mx10-fast example changed t9 dtb

trip-point-0 temperature to 90000

trip-point-1 temperature to 105000

No discernable difference yet...

and gpu-opp-table + dmc-opp-table -> better desktop performance?

changed

opp-1392000000 {
            opp-hz = <0x0 0x52f83c00>;
            opp-microvolt = <1350000>;
            opp-microvolt-L0 = <1350000>;
            opp-microvolt-L1 = <1325000>;
            clock-latency-ns = <0x9c40>;
Now running 1.392 :thumbup: 

Let's see stability...

sysbench --test=memory --memory-block-size=1M --memory-total-size=100G --num-threads=1 run

1921.72 MiB/sec compared to 3006.54 MiB/sec on MX10

rk3328-t9-fast-gpu-dmc-1.3.dts

Hi,  first of all i would like to thank balbes150 and all members who helped on this topic,

i share my experience and hope that could help others,

i have an MXR PRO 4gb 32gb emmc (gearbest link) and this box doesn't boot from SD (i tried all the tips given but no way),

the solution to install armbian on this box is to write it directly to the emmc,

1) Put your box in maskrom mode by erasing the flash with AndroidTool or other tool

2) Unpack a rom that is compatible with your box to extract the MiniLoaderAll.bin
    Use AndroidTool or RK3066_IMG_Mod_Tool to unpack on Windows

3) Download and extract Armbian_5.82_Rk3328-tv_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.4.154_desktop_20190427.img from the *img.xz

4) Use rkdeveloptool On linux to flash the emmc (i use Ubuntu 16.04 on a VM)
        Thanks to Gergely from freaktab for the tips(freaktab topic)
        Link to install rkdeveloptool on linux wiki.radxa.com post)

sudo ./rkdeveloptool db images/MiniLoaderAll.bin
sudo ./rkdeveloptool wl 0x0 images/armbian.img
sudo ./rkdeveloptool ul images/MiniLoaderAll.bin
sudo ./rkdeveloptool rd

if you have a Creating Comm Object failed!
execute this command (https://wiki.radxa.com/Rock/flash_the_image#Creating_Comm_Object_failed.21)

echo 'SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="2207", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"' | sudo tee /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules

With those manipulations my box boots with armbian ethernet is working, 

but i don't know if the performance could be improved, if someone can give me tips to check if can i improve the performance i am volunteer,
Thanks

@balbes150 - do you remember where the mx10-fast dtb is coming from or do you know, what exactly makes it faster? i compared it to the normal mx10 dtb on an mx10 box and it is indeed about 10% faster ... then i compared the two dts files, but the differences are huge and the mx10-fast looks more like a modified evb dts. i'm doing all this to find out, if it is posssible to speed up the t9 box a bit as well - it is with my t9 dtb as fast as the mx10 box with the regular mx10 dtb. comparing all those dts files the only obvious differences which might be relevant for the speed are the ddr timing (which is nearly the same for the mx10-fast as for my t9 dtb, so not much to gain here), the cpu opp tables (also very similar, only the mx10-fast dtb uses higher voltages than the others) and the dmc opp tables (same as for the cpu opp tables). i think that only rasing the voltages doe not speed up anything without raising the clocks too and will just produce more heat - right?

in general the mx10-fast dtb is at 1296mhz comparable to an amlogic s905w at 1200mhz (i.e. only a few percent faster), but with the non fast dtbs those rk3328 boxes seem to be about 10% slower than the amlogic ones at the same/similar clock speed and this does not really make too much sense as they are all using a53 cores and their performance scales nearly linearly with clock speed (for instance a raspberry bit 3b at 1.2ghz has nearly exactly the same cpu performance like an amlogic s905w at 1.2ghz).

1 hour ago, balbes150 said:

Try it and tell the others :)

PS I do not have such equipment, I do not know whether it will work or not.

I am tempted to, its cheap enough but maybe lets wait for more info on the rk3318

here is the latest round of my dtb for t9 and h96max+ rk3328 tv boxes - changes since last version:

• properly enable dmc (i think this allows better memory timing)
  • raise voltage for the 1.392ghz clock (disabled by default) to the values which worked for @amirul as well
  • raise thermal trip points slightly to 85/95/110 degree celsius
  • add a rk3328-t9-fast.dtb which has the 1.392ghz cpu clock and higher memory clocks enabled (the 1.512ghz cpu clock is still disabled by default as its likely not working or too unstable in most cases)

the cpu performance ist about 5-10% better than my last t9 dtb for the regular t9 dtb and about 10-15% better than my last t9 dtb for the t9-fast dtb and as such the cpu performance is now about even with the mx10 box one ... i noticed that the usb2 port might be a bit unstable at times, so better use the usb3 port - maybe this is a general problem for rk3328 boards ...

best wishes - hexdump

rk3328-t9.dts rk3328-t9.dtb rk3328-t9-dtb.diff rk3328-t9-fast.dtb rk3328-t9-fast.dts rk3328-t9-fast-dtb.diff

7 hours ago, hexdump said:

here is the latest round of my dtb for t9 and h96max+ rk3328 tv boxes - changes since last version:

• properly enable dmc (i think this allows better memory timing)
  • raise voltage for the 1.392ghz clock (disabled by default) to the values which worked for @amirul as well
  • raise thermal trip points slightly to 85/95/110 degree celsius
  • add a rk3328-t9-fast.dtb which has the 1.392ghz cpu clock and higher memory clocks enabled (the 1.512ghz cpu clock is still disabled by default as its likely not working or too unstable in most cases)

the cpu performance ist about 5-10% better than my last t9 dtb for the regular t9 dtb and about 10-15% better than my last t9 dtb for the t9-fast dtb and as such the cpu performance is now about even with the mx10 box one ... i noticed that the usb2 port might be a bit unstable at times, so better use the usb3 port - maybe this is a general problem for rk3328 boards ...

best wishes - hexdump

rk3328-t9.dts 81.71 kB · 2 downloads rk3328-t9.dtb 68.64 kB · 2 downloads rk3328-t9-dtb.diff 18.09 kB · 2 downloads rk3328-t9-fast.dtb 68.63 kB · 2 downloads rk3328-t9-fast.dts 81.7 kB · 2 downloads rk3328-t9-fast-dtb.diff 18.08 kB · 2 downloads

rk3328-t9 works for me.

rk3328-t9-fast gets random lock-ups :(

@amirul - can you please try to set the two entries with status = "okay" in the dmc-opp-table section to status = "disabled" in t9-fast and check if this runs more reliable? the opp-table entry now uses the voltage, which worked for you, so that should not be the problem.

best wishes - hexdump

8 hours ago, hexdump said:

@amirul - can you please try to set the two entries with status = "okay" in the dmc-opp-table section to status = "disabled" in t9-fast and check if this runs more reliable? the opp-table entry now uses the voltage, which worked for you, so that should not be the problem.

best wishes - hexdump

Stable so far. :)

...nope, still locks up after a while

Edited by amirul
update

Hi,

I just got my T9 box RK3328 and am looking for Armbian_5.82_Rk3328-tv_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.4.154_desktop_20190427.img.xz

a stupid question: where the hell can I download that image, please? 😂 google did not help, all links go to this forum ...

sorry for that, please respond :)

thanks

16 hours ago, mgx0 said:

I just got my T9 box RK3328 and am looking for Armbian_5.82_Rk3328-tv_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.4.154_desktop_20190427.img.xz

Hi,

Did you look at the first post of this topic?

1 minute ago, jeanrhum said:

Hi,

Did you look at the first post of this topic?

As I said, stupid question, sorry. I have fount it until my post has been approved, so I could not edit it. Sorry again

5 hours ago, hexdump said:

please keep in mind, that you will need a special t9 dtb for the t9 box - just see my last post a bit up from here to download it

best wishes - hexdump

yeah thanks a lot man, good stuff. I got it running, starts fine. I'll keep investigating and I'll get back with the details

hit some problem when trying to install the latest image to eMMC. following is terminal output from armbian booted off SD card (with dtb file from hexdump)

root@rk3328:~# mount | grep mmcblk
/dev/mmcblk0p2 on / type ext4 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,errors=remount-ro,commit=600)
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /boot type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/mmcblk0p2 on /var/log.hdd type ext4 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,errors=remount-ro,commit=600)

root@rk3328:~# ls -la /dev/mmcblk*
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 179,   0 Apr 27 15:23 /dev/mmcblk0
brw-rw---- 1 k 179,   1 Apr 27 15:23 /dev/mmcblk0p1
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 179,   2 Apr 27 15:23 /dev/mmcblk0p2
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 179,  32 Apr 27 15:23 /dev/mmcblk2
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 179,  64 Apr 27 15:23 /dev/mmcblk2boot0
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 179,  96 Apr 27 15:23 /dev/mmcblk2boot1
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 179, 128 Apr 27 15:23 /dev/mmcblk2rpmb

install.sh sets the destination to mmcblk1pX because mmcblk0pX is mounted from SD card.

this is truncated output from install.sh (see mmcblk1p1 does not exist)

root@rk3328:~# ./install.sh
Start copy system for eMMC.
/dev/mmcblk0p1 /boot vfat rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro 0 0
Formatting BOOT partition...mkfs.fat 4.1 (2017-01-24)
mkfs.vfat: unable to open /dev/mmcblk1p1: No such file or directory
done.
mount: special device /dev/mmcblk1p1 does not exist
Cppying BOOT...done.
Edit init config...done.
umount: /ddbr/install: not mounted
Formatting ROOT partition...
The file /dev/mmcblk1p2 does not exist and no size was specified.
e2fsck 1.43.4 (31-Jan-2017)
e2fsck: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/mmcblk1p2
Possibly non-existent device?
done.
Copying ROOTFS.
mount: special device /dev/mmcblk1p2 does not exist
Copy BIN
Create DEV
Copy ETC
tar: etc/fstab: time stamp 2019-04-27 15:27:57 is 124.421815093 s in the future
Copy HOME
Copy LIB
tar: lib/firmware/cxgb3: time stamp 2019-04-27 15:25:54 is 1.11954926 s in the future
tar: lib/firmware/bnx2: time stamp 2019-04-27 15:25:54 is 0.988122802 s in the future
tar: lib/firmware/kaweth: time stamp 2019-04-27 15:25:54 is 0.708338343 s in the future
tar: lib/firmware/dpaa2/mc: time stamp 2019-04-27 15:25:54 is 0.420168176 s in the future
tar: lib/firmware/rkwifi/bcmdhd: time stamp 2019-04-27 15:25:54 is 0.20225176 s in the future
tar: lib/udev/rules.d: time stamp 2019-04-27 15:27:23 is 20.601957435 s in the future
Create MEDIA
Create MNT
Copy OPT
Create PROC
Copy ROOT
Create RUN
Copy SBIN
tar: sbin: time stamp 2019-04-27 15:27:27 is 23.46567281 s in the future
Copy SELINUX
Copy SRV
Create SYS
Create TMP
Copy USR

I am leaving it to finish but I don't expect to have some effect. looks like the eMMC is on /dev/mmcblk2 and it's not mountable

does anybody have an idea what is going on please?

ddbr performs fine, it can copy the mmcblk2 drive

So, ethernet is working fine, ddbr has done a backup of mmcblk2, performance is a bit below S905X. So the machine is good, I just need to remove that Android crap and put something useful onto it :-)

I could repartition mmcblk2 in two partitions, update install.sh script and run it, but I'm not that good in knowing linux on these  particular devices. I don't want to brick my device

any idea what to do with mmcblk2 please? How to proceed with installing onto emmc?

12 hours ago, mgx0 said:

any idea what to do with mmcblk2 please? How to proceed with installing onto emmc?

To change in the script "install.sh" the number of the device mmcblk1 to mmcblk2

16 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

To change in the script "install.sh" the number of the device mmcblk1 to mmcblk2

16 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

thanks for the reply

the problem is that there is no mmcblk2p1 and mmcblk2p2, which the install.sh script tries to mount.

there are four partitions on eMMC:  /dev/mmcblk2boot1 /dev/mmcblk2boot2 /dev/mmcblk2rpmb and /dev/mmcblk2 (this should be actually the physical disk)

$PART_BOOT and $PART_ROOT variables are set to /dev/mmcblk1p0 and mmcblk1p2. which one has to be changed to mmcblk2? and what to do with /dev/mmcblk2boot1 /dev/mmcblk2boot2 and /dev/mmcblk2rpmb ?

or does the /dev/mmcblk2 need to be repartitioned? i mean create new /dev/mmcblk2p1 and /dev/mmcblk2p2 ... did anybody need to do that on T9?

EDIT: CRAP! I'm not reading the instructions again! I'm sorry for confusion

are lines in bold (which were not executed) the cause of what I see? I'll do that this evening. sorry again, my fault

1. Download, unzip and burn the image to SD card.

2. Start Armbian on the TV box and perform the initial setup of the system.

3. If the system works correctly and you are satisfied, run the utility "ddbr" and create a full backup of eMMC (this is a prerequisite).

4. Rename the file "/boot/mvr9-uboot.img" in "/boot/uboot.img".

5. Run as user "root" script "/boot/create-mbr-linux.sh"

6. To run the script "/root/install.sh"

1 hour ago, mgx0 said:

the problem is that there is no mmcblk2p1 and mmcblk2p2, which the install.sh script tries to mount.

Replace all mentions of mmcblk1 with mmcblk2 in the script. You don't have to create partitions, the system has to do it itself.

5 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Replace all mentions of mmcblk1 with mmcblk2 in the script. You don't have to create partitions, the system has to do it itself.

yeah now it does not complain about anything. had to replace mmcblk1 with mmcblk2 in install.sh and also in /boot/create-mbr-linux.sh

now it's installing ...

EDIT: AAAAND booted! thanks a lot for your hard work!

Hello everybody,

I'm new in this forum and after I saw your posts and see that @amirul got it working, I decided to buy a H96max+ (cheap but yet powerful) and tried to make it run with linux (believing that it could be possible for me). I tried to follow these steps:
- write the image provided by @balbes150 (5.82) with dd command, in both sd card and usb stick (Armbian_5.82_Rk3328-tv_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.4.154_desktop_20190427.img)
- mounted the first partition and copied the dtb files provided by @hexdump into /dtb/rockchip and use them from the extlinux/extlinux.conf. (tried rk3328-mx10-fast, rk3328-t9, rk3328-t9-fast)
- insert both devices into the H96max+ and plug in the power cord.
Result: Black screen. If I remove the devices it boots into Android normally.

I'm missing something? the HDMI doesn't works and I has to use a serial connection?
Is there any way to install linux without opening the box? If there is no other way, can someone give me a reference explaining how to do this process?

Thank you for your help.

@Sico - if you use my rk3318-t9.dtb it should work with only the sd-card, so the sd-card and usb-stick procedure should not be required. maybe doublecheck that you have the proper dtb and that it is referenced properly in extlinux.conf (FDT /dtb/rockchip/rk3328-t9.dtb and no FDTDIR defined) and then it should simply work. only try the t9-fast one if you have it running stable with the normal t9. mx10 usually will not work on t9 and h96max+ with sd-card only, as it does not detect the sd-card after booting. what might also be possible is that the manufaturer changed the hardware meanwhile - this can always happen with those cheap chinese tv boxes. if you do not get it running at all, it might be required to solder wires to the gnd, rx and tx connection on the board and connect it to anther computer via some usb to serial adapter to see where it fails on the serial console output.

good luck and best wishes - hexdump

Thank you very much @hexdump for your quick response.

The file exists at /dtb/rockchip/ and my /extlinux/extlinux.conf looks like that:

LABEL Armbian
  LINUX /Image
  INITRD /uInitrd
  FDT /dtb/rockchip/rk3328-t9.dtb
#  FDT /dtb/rockchip/rk3328-mx10-fast.dtb
#  FDT /dtb/rockchip/rk3328-a5x.dtb
#  FDT /dtb/rockchip/rk3328-box-trn9.dtb
  APPEND root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=uart8250,mmio32,0xff130000 console=tty0 no_console_suspe$

I've opened the box, it quite easy, no glue, only two screws. In the board I can see that the chip is a RK3328_8D4_V1.1. The model of the H96max + I have a is 2GB RAM + 16GB ROM.

Any ideas before to perform some serious actions?

Thank you again.

Thank you @balbes150 for your advice. I successfully flashed the SD with Etcher and when I try to boot from it I've the same result: blackscreen, no boot. Maybe there is something wrong with my SD card (Transcend 16GB class 10, HC I). I just ordered a new one (Sandisk Ultra 16GB class 10, A1, HC I) that I expect to receive on Monday. I'll post the progress about this.