bpi-r1 HELP router setup

dasgeraet

I need help with an BPI-R1 router setup with umts as fail-backup line.

The eth0.101 as gateway to the inet router works fine from router and client but the umts ppp0 line not working from client only connect to umts from the bpi-r1.

Igor can you make an section only for howtos

greetinx dasgeraet

Never done this so not sure. :o Check this configuration.

/etc/network/interfaces.bonding

You probably need to create a bond between ppp0 with and eth0.101 but than you need configure a dialer to dial if eth0.101 fails ... not sure.

Hi Dasgeraet,

do you want to use UMTS modem as second WAN? Solution is not so easy as it seems :( As I remember, network bonding through two different gateways is not working. OpenWRT has nice solution called MWAN, try to google a read something about it. The easiest solution is, if you are not in connection-critical enviroment, when internet connection is not working, plug 3G modem. You must have some scripts, which will after plug the modem disable WAN0, enable WAN1 (modem, ppp etc) and then ip route change default ....

igor tip is running but "petrmaje" yes i need scripts but i don´t have there to change the default gateway after reconnect

petrmaje is not an critical setup only for me is an travel router for holiday and living by friends

my config

####BOND Config

auto eth0.101
iface eth0.101 inet manual
    bond-master bond0
    bond-primary eth0.101
    pre-up swconfig dev eth0 set reset 1
    pre-up swconfig dev eth0 set enable_vlan 1
    pre-up swconfig dev eth0 vlan 101 set ports '3 8t'
    pre-up swconfig dev eth0 set apply 1

auto ppp0
iface ppp0 inet wvdial
provider t-mobile
bond-master bond0

####bond0
auto bond0
iface bond0 inet dhcp
bond-mode active-backup
bond-miimon 100
bond-slaves none

thanks for helping and sorry for my bad english

If you want easy config as you described, it means 3G modem OR wired connection, forget bond and let's try bridge. It is dirty solution, but it should work :)

Let's say that br1 has members ppp0 & eth101 = WAN. BR1 will act as switch so when you connect one of these connections, br1 will receive IP from dhcp server.

Try this, it's only idea, I never tested ....