armbian can not boot in Rock Pi4 v1.4

wureka

Hi,

I just bought a Rock Pi4B v1.4 recently. 

I tried to boot it with https://dl.armbian.com/rockpi-4b/Debian_buster_default_desktop.7z and  https://dl.armbian.com/rockpi-4b/Ubuntu_bionic_default_desktop.7z

However it was all in vain.

I also had tried SDCard and emmc but none of them worked.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Edited by wureka

4 hours ago, wureka said:

v1.4

We only have v1.3 around which works. We need to see the diff and probably bootloader needs adjustments. Unless you didn't do some basic errors?

8 hours ago, wureka said:

I tried to boot it with ......

However it was all in vain.

Any suggestion?

Without any information on what error messages you see it is almost impossible to suggest what may be wrong.

Are you using a good power supply?

Have you tried a different supply?

Have you tried a different SD card?

Is the bright led on? Have you tried other distros? Did they boot normally?
How long did you wait? With the rock pi it can take minutes before it starts booting. But that's with the mainline kernels.

To my knowledge the only difference with 1.3 and 1.4 should be the addition of spi flash.
How did you burn the images to the sd-card or eMMC? 

I have been happily booting Rock Pi 4B v1.4 since August with both eMMC and SD.

As others already pointed it would be good if you had some console logs.

At this point I am running custom Armbian build based on latest u-boot and open source ATF but will burn SD with latest "official" image, check if it boots and will get back with the results.

I have checked the latest default buster images (desktop and no desktop - 20191009) and both of them boot fine:

____            _    ____  _       _  _   ____
|  _ \ ___   ___| | _|  _ \(_)     | || | | __ )
| |_) / _ \ / __| |/ / |_) | |_____| || |_|  _ \
|  _ < (_) | (__|   <|  __/| |_____|__   _| |_) |
|_| \_\___/ \___|_|\_\_|   |_|        |_| |____/

Welcome to Debian Buster with Armbian Linux 4.4.192-rockchip64
System load:   0.61 0.29 0.11  	Up time:       1 min
Memory usage:  2 % of 3876MB 	IP:
CPU temp:      28°C
Usage of /:    3% of 58G

root@rockpi:~# uname -a
Linux rockpi 4.4.192-rockchip64 #1 SMP Tue Oct 8 18:39:24 CEST 2019 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Hi, 

Just though i could share this.

I had the exact same issue. tried both desktop bionic and desktop buster latest img from armbian website

Even checksum them to be sure.

TV not showing anything except "no signal" but RockPi led's are blinking as if it's loading.

Try this : restart your TV by shutting it off and on again.

You should see the screen pop on in terminal asking for your login at first boot.

You can also try to unplug / plug HDMI cable from both sides (TV and RockPi)

I have to restart my TV each time i boot / reboot the rockPI or i will not have any image.

Edit : same issue even after sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Spoiler

Operating System: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS

Kernel: Linux 4.4.192-rockchip64

Architecture: arm64

root@rockpi:~# journalctl -p err -b

-- Logs begin at Sun 2019-11-17 11:16:24 UTC, end at Sun 2019-11-17 11:27:30 UTC. --

Nov 17 11:16:24 rockpi kernel: rockchip-vop ff900000.vop: missing rockchip,grf property

Nov 17 11:16:24 rockpi kernel: rockchip-vop ff8f0000.vop: missing rockchip,grf property

Nov 17 11:16:24 rockpi kernel: i2c i2c-9: of_i2c: modalias failure on /hdmi@ff940000/ports

Nov 17 11:16:24 rockpi kernel: dwhdmi-rockchip ff940000.hdmi: PHY PLL failed to lock

Nov 17 11:16:24 rockpi kernel: rk_gmac-dwmac fe300000.ethernet: cannot get clock clk_mac_speed

Nov 17 11:16:24 rockpi kernel: rockchip-dwc3 usb0: fail to get drvdata hcd

Nov 17 11:16:24 rockpi kernel: rockchip-dwc3 usb1: fail to get drvdata hcd

Nov 17 11:16:24 rockpi kernel: .. rk pwm remotectl v1.1 init

Nov 17 11:16:24 rockpi kernel: rk_tsadcv2_temp_to_code: Invalid conversion table: code=1023, temperature=2147483647

Nov 17 11:16:24 rockpi kernel: cpu cpu0: Failed to get pvtm

Nov 17 11:16:24 rockpi kernel: cpu cpu4: Failed to get pvtm

Nov 17 11:16:24 rockpi kernel: vcc_sd: unsupportable voltage range: 3300000-3000000uV

Nov 17 11:16:24 rockpi kernel: rockchip-saradc ff100000.saradc: failed to get voltage

Nov 17 11:16:24 rockpi kernel: /spdif-sound/simple-audio-card,cpu: could not get #sound-dai-cells for /spdif@ff870000

Nov 17 11:16:24 rockpi kernel: asoc-simple-card spdif-sound: parse error -22

Nov 17 11:16:24 rockpi kernel: Error: Driver 'ov4689' is already registered, aborting...

Nov 17 11:16:24 rockpi kernel: Error: Driver 'ov7750' is already registered, aborting...

Nov 17 11:16:24 rockpi kernel: Error: Driver 'ov13850' is already registered, aborting...

Nov 17 11:16:24 rockpi kernel: Error: Driver 'sc031gs' is already registered, aborting...

Nov 17 11:16:25 rockpi kernel: asoc-simple-card es8316-sound: ASoC: no source widget found for MICBIAS1

Nov 17 11:16:25 rockpi kernel: asoc-simple-card es8316-sound: ASoC: Failed to add route MICBIAS1 -> direct -> Mic Jack

Nov 17 11:16:25 rockpi kernel: asoc-simple-card es8316-sound: ASoC: no sink widget found for IN1P

Nov 17 11:16:25 rockpi kernel: asoc-simple-card es8316-sound: ASoC: Failed to add route Mic Jack -> direct -> IN1P

Nov 17 11:16:25 rockpi kernel: rockchip-pcie f8000000.pcie: PCIe link training gen1 timeout!

Nov 17 11:16:25 rockpi kernel: rockchip-pcie f8000000.pcie: deferred probe failed

Nov 17 11:16:25 rockpi kernel: cgroup: cgroup2: unknown option "nsdelegate"

Nov 17 11:16:25 rockpi [383]: failed to execute '/lib/udev/mtp-probe' 'mtp-probe /sys/devices/platform/fe3e0000.usb/usb4/4-1 4 2': No such file or directory

Nov 17 11:16:25 rockpi kernel: rk-vcodec ff650000.vpu_service: could not find power_model node

Nov 17 11:16:25 rockpi kernel: rk-vcodec ff660000.rkvdec: could not find power_model node

Nov 17 11:16:30 rockpi kernel: CONFIG-ERROR) dhd_conf_set_intiovar: txbf setting failed -23

Nov 17 11:16:31 rockpi wpa_supplicant[962]: dbus: wpa_dbus_get_object_properties: failed to get object properties: (none) none

Nov 17 11:16:31 rockpi wpa_supplicant[962]: dbus: Failed to construct signal

Nov 17 11:16:32 rockpi kernel: [drm:dw_hdmi_rockchip_set_property] *ERROR* failed to set rockchip hdmi connector property

Nov 17 11:16:32 rockpi kernel: [drm:dw_hdmi_rockchip_set_property] *ERROR* failed to set rockchip hdmi connector property

Nov 17 11:16:38 rockpi pulseaudio[1915]: [pulseaudio] backend-ofono.c: Failed to register as a handsfree audio agent with ofono: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.ofono was not pr

Nov 17 11:16:38 rockpi pulseaudio[2031]: [pulseaudio] pid.c: Daemon already running.

Nov 17 11:17:54 rockpi systemd[1]: Timed out waiting for device dev-ttyFIQ0.device.

Hope it helps

Hi,

I face the same issue, on a recently bought a Rock Pi 4B v1.3.

Steps followed:

1. Downloaded official (Radxa) Ubuntu Server Bionic  as well as Armbian Buster Desktop (Armbian_5.98_Rockpi-4b_Debian_buster_default_4.4.192_desktop.7z) via torrent.

2. Wrote both images to different SD cards (Samsung Evo Plus Class 10) using dd. The one with Radxa Ubuntu boots, but Armbian buster does not. The red Led keeps blinking, no output via HDMI. Rewrote and tested the Armbian image twice, but no change.

One difference I noticed is that on writing the Radxa image 5 partitions are created, one of which is type vfat name boot and one is type ext4 name ubt-bionic. The disk partition format is gpt. With Armbian only 1 partition of type ext4 is created and disk partition format is mbr.

3. Bought a CH340G USB TTL converter thinking I could use it if needed. Connected to Rock Pi 4 using breadboard wires, but could not get any output.

I am new to Armbian, Rock Pi 4 and SBCs in general; familiar with Linux.

Let me know if I can try something or provide more information.

Kind regards.

Edit-

With the latest Armbian image (Armbian_19.11.3_Rockpi-4b_buster_current_5.3.11_desktop.7z) was able to boot!

The red led keeps blinking, but the system booted up and is working. Thanks for the updated version.

Edited by aaditya
updated version worked

7 hours ago, aaditya said:

One difference I noticed is that on writing the Radxa image 5 partitions are created, one of which is type vfat name boot and one is type ext4 name ubt-bionic. The disk partition format is gpt. With Armbian only 1 partition of type ext4 is created and disk partition format is mbr.

Armbian uses only 1 partition. So that's not a problem. When the led blinks it should mean it's is booting. 

7 hours ago, aaditya said:

3. Bought a CH340G USB TTL converter thinking I could use it if needed. Connected to Rock Pi 4 using breadboard wires, but could not get any output.

I think for all RK3399 devices the baud rate is 1500000
Could be only for the M4 tho. Be sure to connect the correct wires. you've got to revers the data wires.  RX -> TX and TX -> RX. 
Not all serial programs seems to be able to use 1500000 baud rate. I've used putty in the past and that worked I think? There's other posts on the forum about what program is bes for serial use. 

The 5.3 is a mainline. Not an updated version. There is less support for this as it's not the default rk3399 kernel.

I'll try some images an mine and see what happens.

I tried the https://dl.armbian.com/rockpi-4b/Buster_legacy
It did boot on my V1.3. But there seems to be something wrong with the wifi on it. Can't connect with armbian-config. It does see the connections, but when trying to connect. Activation failed : No Reason Given. 
When i plug a usb wifi dongle in everything starts crashing. from Armbian-config i go to a black screen full of 

Message from syslogd@localhost at Nov 19 08:34:47
kernel : [ 492.422993] Code : f1002df fa401a64 54000120 f9400260 (f9401000)

A lot more but with different error codes.
When trying to boot with the usb wifi dongle it hangs for 8 minutes at network manager. Can't login system hangs and doesn't do anything.

Doesn't seem normal to me? I'll try the ubuntu version now. 

Bionic has the same issue's. Booted with a usb wifi dongle and it gave a lot of errors, didn't want to login. Took a long time before I even could give login credentials. Then after 2nd time password it just didn't do anything anymore.

Without a usb wifi dongle it did boot into the desktop and I was able to connect on-board wifi. Plugging in my wifi dongle crashes the desktop, can't go into any other terminal. All stuck.
Strange things. I don't know what's wrong. I guess network manager is messing up something. Just a guess. 

Edit.
After very long boot with user name already done, and wifi dongle in. It does boot eventually into desktop. But I can't do armbianmonitor or dmsg or anything alse. No wifi icon is shown. All just unuseable.

12 hours ago, NicoD said:

Armbian uses only 1 partition. So that's not a problem. When the led blinks it should mean it's is booting. 

I think for all RK3399 devices the baud rate is 1500000
Could be only for the M4 tho. Be sure to connect the correct wires. you've got to revers the data wires.  RX -> TX and TX -> RX. 
Not all serial programs seems to be able to use 1500000 baud rate. I've used putty in the past and that worked I think? There's other posts on the forum about what program is bes for serial use. 

Hi NicoD,

You are right there! I was connecting the RX of the USB Serial to the RX GPIO pin, while the correct way was to connect RX of the USB serial to TX on the GPIO. With correct connections it worked today.

The chip was not a problem. Thanks to martinayotte, I knew which USB serial device to try and buy

I will retry the old build which was failing to see if I can provide more information.

The 5.3 is a mainline. Not an updated version. There is less support for this as it's not the default rk3399 kernel.

I'll try some images an mine and see what happens.

The 5.3 kernel is interesting for me as its mainline and more open source I believe! Will try it and report any issues if possible.

Thanks for the help and videos. :-)