creited

Congestion Control

Hi,

I'm using armbian on a FriendlyElec Zero Pi device as my wireguard server. This is a extremely cheap device and for this reason it was chosen since I don't need powerful performances.

It happened that I found a tutorial that switching the Congestion Control for BBR (mine says it is cubic), would allow me to experience performance improvements.

I'm not being able to change this parameter in my image already configured using:

root@zeropi:~# sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_congestion_control=bbr

The output says:

sysctl: setting key "net.ipv4.tcp_congestion_control": No such file or directory
net.ipv4.tcp_congestion_control = bbr

Using this command:

sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_available_congestion_control

Outputs:

net.ipv4.tcp_available_congestion_control = reno bic cubic westwood highspeed hybla htcp vegas nv veno scalable lp yeah illinois

As far as I understood, the BBR option is not available to be selected. And I really want to have it running in my setup.

Is there a way to enable this in my armbian in a way I don't need to start everything from scratch?

If the answer is NO, how should I proceed to have an image with this option enabled? If you have a step by step tutorial, it  would be very helpful, since I'm not an expert in building linux.

Thank you for your support.

Whenever asking for support please provide the output of armbianmonitor -u

Check if tcp_htcp and tcp_cubic kernel modules are loaded.

Hi,

Here is the output of armbianmonitor -u:

http://ix.io/2mTm

Thank you!

20.05.0-trunk                    

Since you are using either a 3rd party build or built the kernel package by yourself you should already know your way around and adjust the kernel config to include the modules mentioned above.

Uboot loader 2019.10

Not relevant but you missed to update U-boot to 2020.04 which is commonly built with the kernel package.

12 hours ago, creited said:

Thank you for your support.

https://github.com/armbian/build#support 
We can't possibly cover research and development on your behalf. More of it ...

I have no idea what is missing in the kernel but we will accept your PR to the kernel config https://github.com/armbian/build/tree/master/config/kernel. If you speed up, there will be a release in a week, two. And this functionality will come with an update.

12 hours ago, creited said:

If you have a step by step tutorial, it  would be very helpful, since I'm not an expert in building linux

https://docs.armbian.com/Developer-Guide_Build-Preparation/

Personal guidance is not possible.

5 hours ago, xwiggen said:

Already enabled in master (CONFIG_TCP_CONG_BBR=m) at least since 5.4.41

requires modprobe tcp_bbr

Is it possible to update my running version to 5.4.41? Mine says 5.4.35, so modprobe returns an error.

@Igor, I have no idea on how to proceed with a pull request. Actually I am not a developer, but I would be happy to help with anything that I could.

It seems like enabling tcp_bbr with modprobe shall solve my point. Thanks for everyone that replied.

Cleiton

1 minute ago, creited said:

Is it possible to update my running version to 5.4.41? Mine says 5.4.35, so modprobe returns an error.

At this moment possible by switching to nightly builds but this is not recommend in production. Nightly images are our development builds where things sometimes just break and can remain broken for days. That branch is ... for testing, but currently its safe, since we are near to the release. Go there and go back to stable after the release ...

3 minutes ago, creited said:

I have no idea on how to proceed with a pull request.

There are many guides. Perhaps this one is better https://help.github.com/en/github/collaborating-with-issues-and-pull-requests/creating-a-pull-request

4 minutes ago, creited said:

Actually I am not a developer, but I would be happy to help with anything that I could.

- reworking documentation

- running projects

- forum moderating

What should I add to sources.list in order to enable nightly images to be installed? Or to update to 5.4.41, another process should be performed?