Jetson Nano

balbes150

Question

Good news.  :)

Thanks to the work of many, there is now a real opportunity to run the Armbian system with the main core on Jetson Nano, and more importantly, it is easy to integrate the image build process into the official GIT Armbian. In the near future, I plan to post ready-made images with the latest kernel 5.10.22 on the download site. To run them, you need to update u-boot to Jetson Nano. This is very easy to do, just run the latest official version of Ubuntu for Jetson Nano from the SD card, it will update itself in SPI (?) u-boot to the latest version (2020.04), after that you can run Armbian from any SD card or USB media. The new u-boot supports automatic system startup from both media or over the network. Also, now you can build an Armbian image for Jetson Nano yourself, easily build the latest kernel with the necessary options, etc.  

https://users.armbian.com/balbes150/

https://mega.nz/#F!j9QSDQSQ!6WpasOlbZYIInfw6yo4phQ

https://disk.yandex.ru/d/XBRXnig7F1M4rw?w=1

21 час назад, Igor сказал:

It works!

I checked the native build of the image works on the Jetson Nano itself. But while there is no fan control in the main core, I had to use a USB fan for cooling (all resources are used during the build  :)

3 часа назад, hexdump сказал:

is the nouveau/tegra gpu acceleration actually working with this mainline kernel? (glxgears -info should show nouveau or tegra as driver instead of llvmpipe)

I have no idea, I haven't checked.

did anyone already test to boot this image on the 2gb model of the jetson nano? i just tried it and it does not boot - the nano already has the new u-boot in the spi ... looks like i have to connect a serial console when i find some time

ok - false alarm ... looks like something was still wrong with my u-boot ... rerunning the jetpack image once more seems to have fixed it and now the image is booting fine also on the 2gb model :)

gpu acceleration is not working yet (llvmpipe is used instead), but in general it looks quite good: the tegra and nouveau drm drivers are properly loaded without errors ... according to https://github.com/NVIDIA/tegra-nouveau-rootfs and https://github.com/NVIDIA/tegra-rootfs-scripts it looks like maybe some special xorg server and/or mesa needs to be compiled ... will maybe have a look at it over the weekend

btw. have any kernel patches been required to make it work with mainline or is the mainline support that good meanwhile that it just works?

best wishes - hexdump

i did some more research and for sure the nvidia gpu firmware is missing in the armbian-firmware - https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/tree/nvidia/gm20b/gr - it is part of the regular linux-firmware package

but even with that we are not there yet - i tried both xorg and wayland and both times ended up with GL_OUT_OF_MEMORY errors which i do not understand yet, but large parts of the probing looks good ... looks like nouveau.modeset=1 parameter might be required on boot as well ... will have to investigate things further ...

You can try using the latest kernel 5.12 or 5.11. Maybe there will be better support. You don't need any patches for this, just build the kernel on the Jetson Nano itself and copy it with the Initrd rebuild and the installation of modules.

just a little update: i got the open source nouveau gpu driver working with the mainline kernel finally by using a self compiled xorg server from the latest sources (required - see: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/3505), a self compiled mesa 21.0.1 (not sure if this is really required) and the "nouveau.modeset=1" kernel cmdline parameter - what is nice is that it is opengl 4.3

so far the good part, the bad part is that it is extremely slow (glmark2 score of 68) as it is clocked at the lowest gpu frequency by default and trying to increase the gpu frequency via /sys/kernel/debug/dri/128/pstate seems to make the system quite unstable or quickly hangs it (maybe my power supply - 5.1v/3a - is not powerful enough?)

i'm also able to run a wayfire wayland session using the nouveau gpu driver, but it shows quite a few graphical artifacts when scrolling in a terminal or doing other activities - glmark2 score here is 83, but its also for lima or panfrost higher in wayland/wayfire than in xorg/xfce

all in all it looks like the quality of the open source nouveau driver on the jetson nano (maybe even in general?) is not really the best and as it looks to me far behind the quality of the lima and panfrost open source drivers for the mali gpus in other socs

02.05.2021 в 20:02, TonyMac32 сказал:

So far my Jetson Nano won't get to desktop using the images on the download site.  I have the original one, is this a device tree issue?

What model do you have and what image do you use ? Have you updated u-boot to the latest version ?

Hello everybody,
Thank you very much for the great message regarding Jetson NANO and DEBIAN - Kernel. I wanted to try it out right away, but it doesn't really work for me.
I tried that with the different images and also - I hope - heeded the "U-Boot" change. But which image is the best here? Because I used the XUBUNTU for this. I would be very grateful if you could help me here and tell me which image I would like to use best. Thank you very much in advance.

Matthias

@Zhexue. - did you install the latest jetpack from nvidia first (it just needs to be installed and booted once - as part of it it will ask you if its ok to update the boot firmare)? it is required to get a boot loader onto the board which is able to boot those images.

best wishes and good luck - hexdump

Hey hexdump,

thank you very much for your answer. This is, what I want to know, because on XUBUNTU - Version for this, they don't change the "u-boot"....

Well I would like to try on Weekend and give an response....

Best wishes

Matthias

Hey hexdump and hello together.

I want to say "Thank you very much" for this IMAGE of Jetson NANO.... With little help from "hexdump" it's work and it's really faster than NVIDIA Image.

One question is open:

How can I use the WLAN - Interface? I've installed the extra module on this board, because I would like to use it an my "AI-Racer" ..... If there anyone, who can help me here, please....

Thanks in advance....

Matthias

Good Morning all.
I am really very enthusiastic about your LINUX package for JetSon Nano. It's very fast and very stable.

Since I am using this board in a project for autonomous driving and it is installed on the WaveShare kit, I would also like to activate the WLAN module, but unfortunately it keeps failing.
With the command: lspic -k I can see the board, but you can also see that the driver is not installed.

lspci -k
00:01.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation Device 0fae (rev a1)
        Kernel driver in use: pcieport
00:02.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation Device 0faf (rev a1)
        Kernel driver in use: pcieport
01:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 8265 / 8275 (rev 78)
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation Wireless 8265 / 8275 (Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)
        Subsystem: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
        Kernel driver in use: r8169
        Kernel modules: r8169

I also tried to install these drivers using "apt install firmware-iwlwifi". The system does this, but does not create a new kernel and I cannot find anything in the relevant directory .... What else can I do? For me this is really important, because the "overhead" for the NVIDIA package is simply too big for testing and development with far too much BALAST ....

I would really be very grateful if you could help me here quickly. Thank you in advance.....

Matthias

About this Module:

01:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 8265 / 8275 (rev 78)
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation Wireless 8265 / 8275 (Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265)

This is an additional board for Jetson Nano 4GB ...