Firefly Station M3 (rk3588s)

balbes150

How can I get a driver for USB Geniatech MyGica Stick T230A please? I tried to compile drivers but I don't have the following error:
Preparing to compile for kernel version 5.10.110
File not found: /lib/modules/5.10.110-station-m4/build/.config at ./scripts/make_kconfig.pl line 33, <IN> line 4.
make[1]: *** [Makefile:376: alliesconfig] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/ady/media_build/v4l'
make: *** [Makefile:26: alliesconfig] Error 2
It installs linux-headers-generic (5.15.0.53.53) so I don't know what to do.
Thanks.

1 час назад, blondu сказал:

USB Geniatech MyGica Stick T230A

USB-DVB ?

1 час назад, blondu сказал:

It installs linux-headers-generic (5.15.0.53.53)

These headers will obviously not work with the 5.10.110 kernel. Use the old 5.10.66 kernel and its headers (station-m3-5.10.66)

Version 20221224 is EDK2-EFI.

EDK2-EFI\grub is used to run. Burn the image simultaneously to two media - an SD card and a USB flash drive.After recording, connect the SD card and USB flash drive at the same time. If you have a UART console, you can control the startup process.

Version 20230103-edge with kernel 6.2. LAN works and you can control the system via SSH.

and

version 20230103-EDK2-edge. kernel 6.2. the order of launching the EDK2 version is the same - you need to write the image to two media (SD card and USB flash drive) and use them simultaneously.

Hi gents,

Can anyone share some knowledge on how to dual boot StationOS and Armbian?

I've just installed a SATA 2242 ssd and would like to install Armbian on it.

I've checked out the stationOS website and it says it's done via "OS Assistant" app which should be in the stationOS firmware.

Problem is that there is no such OS Assistant app in the latest stationOS firmware which is installed on my M3 box.

The M3 support is on holidays for the Chinese new year and there is no information on their wiki either.

Also, if someone has this OS Assistant apk, can you share it please?

Thanks.

Edited by w1nner4fun

Version 20230208 kernel 5.10.110.

The kernel configuration has changed, driver support has been added to install additional packages with HW 3D support (ARM blobs and panfork).

When testing different variants on Station M3, the results were obtained.

steps to run HW with the latest images

When using DE with x11 (KDE5 XFCE + mesa-panfork) - glmark2 shows about 1100 parrots.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:liujianfeng1994/panfork-mesa

sudo apt dist-upgrade

reboot

When using gnome3+ARM bob, glmark2-es2-wayland showed about 4,400 parrots.

download  https://github.com/numbqq/mali-debs/blob/master/jammy/arm64/Edge2/wayland/linux-gpu-mali-wayland_1.0-g610-20220510_arm64.deb

and install it into the system with the command :

sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite  linux-gpu-mali-wayland_1.0-g610-20220510_arm64.deb

reboot

First of all, I was interested in running KDE5 + wayland, but checking both options (ARM blobs or panfork) did not give results, the GUI does not run in wayland mode, although when using the main kernel + panfrost on rk33xx rk356x, KDE5+wayland works well. surprisingly, even the weakest system (station m1 rk3328 with 1 GB of RAM) was able to work acceptably even with 1920 x 1080 desktop settings (plays full-screen video). Running panfork on gnome 3 + wayland didn't work, I think I made some mistakes, but gnome 3 doesn't interest me, so I didn't waste time on it. Add info steps to run HW with the latest images.

New version 20230219 with direct support for launching from USB. You don't need to copy anything manually anymore. When installing a new bootloader on eMMC, you get the opportunity to directly start the system from USB without using any additional devices. At the same time, you get the opportunity to start from USB when using SD\eMMC\NVMe, i.e. if you have these media with your system, when you connect USB to the system, when you turn on the power, the system starts from the beginning with USB. This is convenient for quick startup of other systems, without the need to change something or disconnect other media (SD\NVMe). For example, you can install the main Ubuntu system on NVMe and at any time quickly launch another version from USB - Debian, etc.

Hi, I tried two of the images today, the 20230219 Armbian_23.02.0-trunk_Station-m3_jammy_legacy_5.10.110_kde-plasma_desktop.img and 20230217 Armbian_23.02.0-trunk_Station-m3_jammy_legacy_5.10.110_kde-plasma_desktop.img

But both of these images just stop/freeze after creating the user account, at "entering the desktop environment".

I just have the mouse coursor frozen in the middle of the screen on black background.

FYI, I'm using a USB wireless Logitech mouse.

I have waited like 10 minutes to see if will go through and then unplugged power and booted again.

Still the same after reboot. It just stops after mouse coursor appears on the black screen.

The older images (the ones that had full speed fan) didn't show this issue.

Can you please advise?

Thanks in advance.

16 минут назад, w1nner4fun сказал:

I'd like to try the kde too, please help

There are several solutions. The simplest one is after the first login (after the initial setup, when the screen is black with the mouse cursor), wait 10-15 minutes (this is the time to reset the automatic login), turn off the power and turn it on again so that the LIGHTDM screen appears, select the x11 option (do not use wayland until the ARM-BLOB package is installed). Or switch to the console (Ctrl+Alt+F2), and install the ARM-BLOB or Panfork package and reboot the system.

I've just tried waiting longer than 15 minutes but the lightdm screen didn't appear.  Just the frozen mouse cursor on black background.

Also tried switching to console (Ctrl+Alt+F2 right after boot) after setup was done, but nothing happened. It would just go again to the mouse cursor on black background.

Also tried this key combination when the mouse coursor is on screen but no luck, as I didn't know when to input the Ctrl+Alt+F2 combination.

Anyway, I've had the idea of using putty on my desktop PC and succeeded to access the M3's console.

There I've typed sudo systemctl enable lightdm and rebooted. This worked.

Thanks, I can now try the KDE!

14 часов назад, w1nner4fun сказал:

I've just tried waiting longer than 15 minutes but the lightdm screen didn't appear.  Just the frozen mouse cursor on black background.

Nothing should appear on the screen at the first start, you are waiting only for the auto-login to be turned off automatically during this time and at the next reboot you will get a working login screen to choose which version to use (x11 or wayland).

14 часов назад, w1nner4fun сказал:

Also tried switching to console (Ctrl+Alt+F2 right after boot) after setup was done, but nothing happened. It would just go again to the mouse cursor on black background.

Also tried this key combination when the mouse coursor is on screen but no luck, as I didn't know when to input the Ctrl+Alt+F2 combination.

You need to switch to the console no earlier than 10-15 minutes, only after all automatic processes are completed.

Hi! Thank you for your very nice work and usable images, the only 2 problems left for me are :

1. When i enable the nvme dtb in extlinux.conf i loose the fan, it don't spin when system is on BUT it goes full speed a fraction of second when powering off the system. (fan is ok with the default dtb)

2. in the instructions for enabling 3D acceleration (the panfork way) ,my system (nvme dtb) don't have access to DMC peripheral (/sys/class/devfreq/dmc/governor)  for setting the governor the performance, hence mid-low glmark2 score.

PS: my system is copied to nvme and booted from sdcard, and the board is one of the very first batch sold by firefly roc-rk3588s-pc (v0.1)

25.02.2023 в 15:45, Darkdonut сказал:

. When i enable the nvme dtb in extlinux.conf i loose the fan, it don't spin when system is on BUT it goes full speed a fraction of second when powering off the system. (fan is ok with the default dtb)

I checked the fan operation with NVMe. Yes, there is a problem (I observe a different situation - the fan is constantly running at high speed.)

- the control does not work, the reason is the change of parameters (when the NVMe is physically connected, the control parameter changes). The control parameter is hard-coded in a binary file that is represented by Firefly. I have requested Firefly sources or a new binary version for NVMe. 

2. in the instructions for enabling 3D acceleration (the panfork way) ,my system (nvme dtb) don't have access to DMC peripheral (/sys/class/devfreq/dmc/governor)  for setting the governor the performance, hence mid-low glmark2 score.

All these "points" are marketing nonsense that you should not pay attention to. I recommend using ARM-blob, you can take deb packages from Firefly or connect their repository and install them over the network (see their Ubuntu image for details).

1. When i enable the nvme dtb in extlinux.conf i loose the fan, it don't spin when system is on BUT it goes full speed a fraction of second when powering off the system. (fan is ok with the default dtb)

To operate the automatic fan control when using NVMe, replace the /usr/bn/firefly-fan-control file with the new version at the link.

https://disk.yandex.ru/d/2ltDBcIso0z9hg

How we can operate automatic fan control??

I've changed dtb to nvme version and the new file firefly_fan_control and has the same problem: fan is full of RPM all time.

I've checked the dtb of official ubuntu in StationOS page, and nvme is ok an fan too, changing the content of dtb file, but in armbian i cannot to do it.

Note: best regards all members, and thanks for your work. I'm new in forum.

12 часов назад, netter сказал:

I've changed dtb to nvme version and the new file firefly_fan_control and has the same problem: fan is full of RPM all time.

What image are you using ?

This only works in the latest versions >= 20230216

Hi thank you for being so quick , tested your new files, the fan spins  but with an erratic behavior , it seems to start normally, the speed goes down at first but when i run glmark , it goes down until it stops completely while the load should(?) be generating more heat , tested with the latest image == 20230303

Edited by Darkdonut

Yes, is the latest version.

The problem was the execution permission. Granted execution permission to root, was able to execute the fan control.

The new problem is the same of Darkdonut: the fan not stops completely when device is running.

When M3 run the official Ubuntu version of Firefly, the fan stops completely and only run when the SOC is hot.

Thanks.

If you have any questions about the automatic operation of the fan,  contact the manufacturer. He provided only closed binary files, respectively, what and how it works is not available to me.

p.s. On my model rk3588s-roc-pc, the fan does not stop completely with any versions and systems, including with all official versions of Ubuntu.

On 3/6/2023 at 2:53 PM, balbes150 said:

On my model rk3588s-roc-pc, the fan does not stop completely with any versions and systems, including with all official versions of Ubuntu.

I've also tried firefly's official systems, both Ubuntu and Debian.

I can confirm that the fan doesn't stop completely on neither of them.

It slows down enough to keep noise low, just like it does with latest armbian image (thanks for that balbes150's)