New Fresh Install or System Upgrade?

freezr
Go to solution Solved by SteeMan,

Hi guys,

which is the Armbian recommended way to jump to a newer Userspace version?

1. A fresh install ?
  2. A regular system upgrade ?

Thanks in advance, 🙏

F.

Edited by freezr
to clarify my question...

• Solution

Upgrade to what newer version?  A userspace version (i.e. ubuntu focal to ubuntu jammy) or a kernel upgrade (i.e. 23.02 based armbian kernel to 23.05 armbian kernel)?

For userspace it is recommeded to do an install, as upgrades are not tested (but I just did a focal to jammy upgrade last night and they generally do work).

For the kernel, you can just do apt update/upgrades to continue following the builds over time (assuming you don't have your kernel frozen in armbian-config).

Thank you guys,

I would have another question, is it recommended to update the firmware before to change repository and perform the dist-upgrade?

Before to do a fresh install I want try to update by CLI, a fresh install requires to dissemble the case, remove the emmc, flash it and so on...

Thanks,

F.

13 minutes ago, freezr said:

a fresh install requires to dissemble the case, remove the emmc, flash it and so on...

? - What sbc are you working with?  Generally you burn to SD card and then use armbian-config to move that install to emmc when you are happy with it.

@SteeMan

? - What sbc are you working with?  Generally you burn to SD card and then use armbian-config to move that install to emmc when you are happy with it.

I am trying to upgrade my Odroid-XU4, for this board I flashed directly the eMMC but I didn't know you can move your data from the SD to the eMMC; however in the armbian-config menu I didn't notice anything that expressly says that you can move your data from a storage to another, thanks! 🙏