Orange Pi Zero 3

ag123

Armbian & Khadas are rewarding contributors

@burger242 wrote

I got to that Github throught Orange Pi's official page.
Where do I get them for 4gb then? Is there any kind of tutorial/guide?

note that Armbian is right here on https://www.armbian.com/ nowhere else.

you go to the 'wrong' link. the authentic Armbian for Orange Pi  Zero 3 images is here:

https://www.armbian.com/orange-pi-zero-3/

scroll down to the bottom

Note that this is a "community maintained" image, which means that that image is made possible by volunteers / contributors you see if you review this thread itself.

simply flash the image to the sd card e.g. using belana etcher plug that into the uSD slot and boot it up.

it is recommended that you use a usb-uart dongle to connect to the board on the 'debug uart' pins and use a serial terminal app e.g. https://www.putty.org/  to connect to it on the serial console.

you should be able to see it boot up in the serial console that way.

if you become any more 'advanced' than simply getting started, you can build your own image:

https://docs.armbian.com/Developer-Guide_Build-Preparation/

Hey, I've tried to build Armbian kernel for my orangepizero3 1GB board from Armbian main branch sources but always stuck on "Starting kernel ..." message, no leds come up, board seems dead.

Tried building minimal bookworm both current and edge versions with unchanged stock config.  Also verbosity is set to 7.

If I choose not to customize/build kernel during initial compile.sh prompt then the whole custom built root image works perfectly with the stock prebuilt kernel.  But as soon as I replace stock kernel deb with my own built kernel deb, or use the whole my custom built root+kernel image, then booting stops.

Before digging deeper - is this known issue, is there any patch for orangepizero3 missing in the repo, or hidden in some branch which I missed in the forums? I know this board is not officially supported yet so obviously issues expected.

Edited by evaldas325

7 hours ago, evaldas325 said:

Hey, I've tried to build Armbian kernel for my orangepizero3 1GB board from Armbian main branch sources but always stuck on "Starting kernel ..." message, no leds come up, board seems dead.

Tried building minimal bookworm both current and edge versions with unchanged stock config.  Also verbosity is set to 7.

If I choose not to customize/build kernel during initial compile.sh prompt then the whole custom built root image works perfectly with the stock prebuilt kernel.  But as soon as I replace stock kernel deb with my own built kernel deb, or use the whole my custom built root+kernel image, then booting stops.

Before digging deeper - is this known issue, is there any patch for orangepizero3 missing in the repo, or hidden in some branch which I missed in the forums? I know this board is not officially supported yet so obviously issues expected.

Instead of replacing with your kernel deb, try modifying the linux config to have what you want.

Sometime ago, I made instructions just for this, but for the orange pi zero

https://github.com/robertojguerra/orangepi-zero-full-setup/blob/main/README2.md

(warning, these instructions refer to a old kernel version)

Look for the part that explains the "Change kernel configuration"

On 6/25/2024 at 9:48 AM, evaldas325 said:

I've tried to build Armbian kernel for my orangepizero3 1GB board from Armbian main branch sources but always stuck on "Starting kernel ..." message, no leds come up, board seems dead.

I solved the issue, I think it was gcc 13.  robertoj answer pushed me towards building inside some virtual env instead of host machine.

Basically compile script installs host package gcc-aarch64-linux-gnu and my debian host distro has already aarch64 gcc 13 dependency for this package.   But this happens only if you do not have docker binary installed. If compile.sh detects docker binary then pulls ubuntu jammy image automatically with aarch64 gcc 11 and compiles inside docker jammy environment, which is the recommended way to go.

On 6/7/2024 at 12:25 PM, Stephen Graf said:

The community images from June 7 have analog and HDMI sound.  The analog sound needs to be unmuted which can be done with alsamixer.

Wonder if anyone can help me understand the options in alsamixer for the analog codec? I've got:

• LINEOUT - this one I understand; it's an on/off toggle for the audio output.
  • LINEOUT volume - I get this one too.
  • Left LINEOUT mux - this one I don't understand. It can be toggled between "LOMixer" and "LROMixer"?
  • Left Output Mixer DACL - can be muted or unmuted, but what is it?
  • Left Output Mixer DACR - apparently the "right" channel version of previous, but ???
  • Right LINEOUT mux - toggle between "ROMixer" and "LROMixer"?
  • Right Output Mixer DACL - ?
  • Right Output Mixer DACR - ?
  • Digital volume - self explanatory

Google has never heard of the terms "LOMIxer" or "LROMixer" so I'm kind of suspecting that all of this weirdness is due to a weird-ass driver that was haphazardly thrown together by shenzen xunlong. Has anyone dug into this and figured out what this stuff means and how to use it?

Edited by mc510
formatting

@mc510 It confuses me too, but I can get sound out of the correct channels by unmuting only Left Output Mixer DACL and Right Output Mixer DACR. If you leave these muted and unmute Left Output Mixer DACR and Right Output Mixer DACL the channels are reversed. If you unmute all four you get left+right in both channels.

I do not know what the LINEOUT muxs are for.

3 часа назад, Stephen Graf сказал:

I do not know what the LINEOUT muxs are for.

14.07.2024 в 21:21, mc510 сказал:
  • Right Output Mixer DACL - ?
  • Right Output Mixer DACR - ?

A little theory:
The listener is sitting in the 10th row in the center of the hall.
An orchestra is playing music on stage.
In the left ear, the sound from the instruments located on the left will be more intense than from the instruments located on the right.

The sound from the instruments located on the right will be shifted in phase in the left ear relative to the sound entering the right ear.
This is stereo sound from the front.

The sound travels through the entire hall and is reflected from the walls and ceiling.
It also enters the left and right ears of lower intensity and with a different phase shift.
This is a quadro effect.

In practice, when recording an audio track, the sound of individual instruments is recorded into separate audio tracks and then mixed

using special equipment and recorded into two parallel audio tracks.

This is stereo sound from the front.

The difference lies in how we listen to the recorded track.
If these are simple stereo headphones, then additional mixers allow us to create the effect of presence in the hall.
This is a pseudo quadro effect.

If you use a good sound card and it has 4 or more outputs and you listen to music through speakers located around the perimeter of the room,

then with the help of mixers you can achieve almost the full effect of presence in the concert hall.

With respect.

I got my OrangePi Zero 3 this week and running Armbian-unofficial_24.11.0-trunk_Orangepizero3_trixie_current_6.6.44_xfce_desktop (manully built, but I didn't change anything). 

Everything is fine, except that when running at 3840x2160@60Hz, the screen becomes flashy. If I change to 30Hz, problem disappears but mouse feels lagging. If I change resolution to 1920x1080@60Hz, it's fine then. 

Also seems hardware decoding is not there. I couldn't play youtube video in Chromium or Firefox.  I do have cedrus driver and /dev/video0 .

When I start firefox I got following error: 

[GFX1-]: glxtest: cannot access /sys/bus/pci

[GFX1-]: vaapitest: ERROR

[GFX1-]: vaapitest: VA-API test failed: failed to initialise VAAPI connection.