Armbian for Amlogic S805 and S802/S812

masteripper

Added the image of Armbian Bionic Mate. There are bugs in this image. You need to manually add the panel "Mate Bar".

If the sound does not work correctly , you need to remove the "pulseaudio" packages.

Hi,

I have a (very old) K200 (AML S802) device. I've got it to boot the Ubuntu Bionic Server image found here (mantained by @balbes150): https://yadi.sk/d/wc2jqGsHuKy48/Armbian/5.44. The image comes with some DTBs, but none of them are for K200. However, the one for K200B 1G SDIO eMMC mostly works. I have working HDMI with no overlay and wired networking works. So far, I've only found two issues:

- Wi-Fi doesn't work (not a great deal for my purposes anyway).

- For some reason, U-boot just kind of freezes if the HDMI output is notconnected.

Is the DTB file I'm using causing this? If so, where can I get a proper one (I have searched but not found anything). Thanks!

Edit: I've studied this a bit further and learned to extract dtbs from the stock Android image. This did help with a few other problems that I had (1G of RAM wasn't being detected, etc), but the HDMI-during-boot and Wi-Fi issues still persist. Suposedly, this means that the dtb isn't the source of the problems, since I am using the stock one, right?

Edited by 3442

There are 3 different wifi chips , you have to load the right driver module at startup  ( Ubuntu ; modprobe.d/blacklist.conf ) ; but that thats only half the way , setting up the nmcli or other network tools will also be difficult ( i had big problem with ntp-Service after 3 reinstalled Image it works for me)

1 hour ago, 3442 said:

- Wi-Fi doesn't work (not a great deal for my purposes anyway).

We should try to load the module manually. Details are in the first message in the topic about s905.

1 hour ago, 3442 said:

- For some reason, U-boot just kind of freezes if the HDMI output is notconnected.

Perhaps the reason for the survey is the core of existence connected HDMI.

1 hour ago, 3442 said:

Suposedly, this means that the dtb isn't the source of the problems, since I am using the stock one, right? 

I think the reason is not dtb. Can you connect your UART console to the TV box ? This will allow you to see the entire startup process from the beginning of u-boot and can help in tests with kernel 4.x.

11 hours ago, balbes150 said:

We should try to load the module manually. Details are in the first message in the topic about s905.

Thanks, that worked!

Perhaps the reason for the survey is the core of existence connected HDMI.

I think the reason is not dtb. Can you connect your UART console to the TV box ? This will allow you to see the entire startup process from the beginning of u-boot and can help in tests with kernel 4.x.

I don't have any UART adapter. However, I have some microcontrollers which I might use as ad-hoc converters. I found a 4-pin header in the box, which I suspect is the UART, but I cannot find any labels indicating which one is Tx, Rx, GND, etc... (I am a bit visually impaired, so maybe I'm not seeing them).

Thanks a lot for your amazing work and help!

I attached some images of my board to this post. By the way, I attempted  to run /root/install.sh and everything but the last step succeeded (fw_setenv fails with 'invalid argument"). If I attempt to reboot into the system partition I get a black screen. I guess this is another thing for which I need UART, no?

9082.jpg

9087.jpg

Usually in the UART connector the extreme pins are "ground" (usually it has a square contact pad, look at the back of the connector, what kind of pads) and VCC power (this pin is not used to connect the UART). You can check with the tester which contact is connected to the ground and use it to connect the GRN. Two internal contacts are Tx and Rx, they can be swapped (if there is no output to the console). Yes, you will need the console to debug the installation into the internal memory.

Usually in the UART connector the extreme pins are "ground" (usually it has a square contact pad, look at the back of the connector, what kind of pads) and VCC power (this pin is not used to connect the UART). You can check with the tester which contact is connected to the ground and use it to connect the GRN. Two internal contacts are Tx and Rx, they can be swapped (if there is no output to the console). Yes, you will need the console to debug the installation into the internal memory.

I have identified the pins with a multimeter as you suggested. Tomorrow I will attempt to read the boot log using an Orange Pi and will report the results. Again, thanks for your help!

I installed the system on S812,1G ram, 100 M lan, found the system could boot only the system connected to HDMI connector and must power on TV or AV receiver, otherwise the system can not boot at all, here I didn't connect UART to PC, so I didn't record log right now.  could I change or modify some parameter in system to avoid this kind of condition?

thanks!

8 hours ago, john123 said:

I installed the system on S812,1G ram, 100 M lan, found the system could boot only the system connected to HDMI connector and must power on TV or AV receiver, otherwise the system can not boot at all, here I didn't connect UART to PC, so I didn't record log right now.  could I change or modify some parameter in system to avoid this kind of condition?

Without the console UART is difficult to understand what point the system stops (what to fix). You can try to disable the processing of the monitor activation script. Connect the media from Armbian to a PC with Linux, mount the ROOTFS partition and disable the "hdmi" service.

4 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Without the console UART is difficult to understand what point the system stops (what to fix). You can try to disable the processing of the monitor activation script. Connect the media from Armbian to a PC with Linux, mount the ROOTFS partition and disable the "hdmi" service.

Hi,Balbes,

Please check below UART log:

UART log.txt means log from UART but because don't connect HDMI, so system halt.

SSH log.txt means log from SSH but success boot with HDMI connection.

SSH log.txt

UART log.txt

Hello. I own a MXIII 4k 2gb K200 tv box but i cannot manage it to boot to armbian. I have boot.scr in a boot folder and copied and renamed the .img file. The problem is that every time i boot there is a Screen flickering and after that the monitor deactivates (black screen). I waited for half an hour but nothing. Any idea? Thanks

Hi, I've looked though the forum but i can't see anything that will specifically help me. I'm running Armbian_5.44_S812_Ubuntu_bionic_3.10.108_server_20180521. The idea was to run it as a headless server sitting next to my router that i'd ssh into as when needed. I set up my MXIII 4K S812 2gb/8gb last night, connected to my TV and it works flawlessly whilst connected to the TV.  The problem comes when i move it to the router and power it back up it won't boot!

I think the issue is that it need to be connected to a display on the HDMI port otherwise it will hang on the various checks/mode changes performed on boot; When i hook it back up to the TV all works as it should, but it does hang for several seconds between 'hdmitx: system: physetting done' and 'sink is HDMI device'.

Is there a way to set something in hdmi.sh or likewise so that it doesn't look for a monitor and just defaults to the lowest setting? I figure you don't need 1080p on a headless server!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi,

eventually received my UART Adapter to determine the reason of the non-booting "3.10.108" Kernels

The "3.10.99" and also the "4.17.0-rc3" Kernels are booting fine.

The "3.10.108" is always stopping at the same place, independent which dtb.img is used:

Spoiler

[    2.996420@0] eth%d: PHY ID 001cc916 at 0 IRQ 0 (stmmac-0:00) active

[    3.000628@0] eth%d: PHY ID 001cc916 at 1 IRQ POLL (stmmac-0:01) active

[    3.007473@0] PPP generic driver version 2.4.2

[    3.011668@0] PPP BSD Compression module registered

[    3.016422@0] PPP Deflate Compression module registered

[    3.021597@0] PPP MPPE Compression module registered

[    3.026513@0] NET: Registered protocol family 24

[    3.031108@0] usbcore: registered new interface driver asix

[    3.036643@0] usbcore: registered new interface driver ax88179_178a

[    3.042828@0] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_ether

[    3.048789@0] usbcore: registered new interface driver dm9601

[    3.054480@0] usbcore: registered new interface driver net1080

[    3.060244@0] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_subset

[    3.066293@0] usbcore: registered new interface driver zaurus

[    3.071991@0] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_ncm

[    3.077765@0] usbcore: registered new interface driver qf9700

[    3.083457@0] usbcore: registered new interface driver sr9600

[    3.089227@0] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage

[    3.095402@0] mousedev: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice

[    3.101100@0] usbcore: registered new interface driver xpad

[    3.106495@0] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb_acecad

[    3.112513@0] usbcore: registered new interface driver aiptek

[    3.118216@0] usbcore: registered new interface driver gtco

[    3.123744@0] usbcore: registered new interface driver hanwang

[    3.129505@0] usbcore: registered new interface driver kbtab

[    3.135121@0] usbcore: registered new interface driver wacom

[    3.140755@0] i2c /dev entries driver

[    3.144681@0] device-mapper: uevent: version 1.0.3

[    3.149223@0] device-mapper: ioctl: 4.24.0-ioctl (2013-01-15) initialised: dm-devel@redhat.com

[    3.157957@0] hidraw: raw HID

Here is the full log from the UART Adapter:

https://pastebin.com/4vjB4HBD

I'm willing to help, if I can.

I have access to an Ubuntu 16.04 PC, so I'm able to modify the dtb/dts files as well as the uInitrd (if needed).

If absolutely necessary, I could setup a build-environment and try to build a custom kernel...

On 6/30/2018 at 1:18 PM, Komodo said:

Hello. I own a MXIII 4k 2gb K200 tv box but i cannot manage it to boot to armbian. I have boot.scr in a boot folder and copied and renamed the .img file. The problem is that every time i boot there is a Screen flickering and after that the monitor deactivates (black screen). I waited for half an hour but nothing. Any idea? Thanks

Read the instructions carefully. You need to copy the correct dtb file.

On 7/8/2018 at 3:33 PM, casper1977 said:

Hi, I've looked though the forum but i can't see anything that will specifically help me. I'm running Armbian_5.44_S812_Ubuntu_bionic_3.10.108_server_20180521. The idea was to run it as a headless server sitting next to my router that i'd ssh into as when needed. I set up my MXIII 4K S812 2gb/8gb last night, connected to my TV and it works flawlessly whilst connected to the TV.  The problem comes when i move it to the router and power it back up it won't boot!

I think the issue is that it need to be connected to a display on the HDMI port otherwise it will hang on the various checks/mode changes performed on boot; When i hook it back up to the TV all works as it should, but it does hang for several seconds between 'hdmitx: system: physetting done' and 'sink is HDMI device'.

Is there a way to set something in hdmi.sh or likewise so that it doesn't look for a monitor and just defaults to the lowest setting? I figure you don't need 1080p on a headless server!

Any help would be much appreciated.

To disable the monitor search, you need to build another kernel.

On 8/9/2018 at 7:32 AM, lev2k said:

eventually received my UART Adapter to determine the reason of the non-booting "3.10.108" Kernels

The "3.10.108" is always stopping at the same place, independent which dtb.img is used:

The answer is similar to the previous one, you need to build another kernel.

On 8/9/2018 at 11:32 AM, lev2k said:

The answer is similar to the previous one, you need to build another kernel.

Yes I know and thats no big deal, since I`ve already set up the cross-compile environment on my Ubuntu PC, (or even compile the kernel directly on the box which takes only 15-20 minutes).

I've compared the .108 and .99 .configs from your images, but they are completely different, so no idea where to start...

I also compiled the mainline Kernel (4.18.rc8) from here https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/khilman/linux-amlogic.git/?h=v4.19/integ

Boots and works fine so far, but like all mainline Kernel, no HDMI-Out with the S812, thus only useful for server OS.

Is there a known-good dtb and kernel for Tronsmart S89 Elite? With k200* DTBs I encounter various boot problems - hdmi kthread crashes or boot just hangs. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I can't figure what. Is there supposed to be UART console after boot? Because I don't know if my boot really hangs or just no console on UART. I'm looking for headless server solution.

Hi,

I have managed to flash the Armbian on SD card and boot it successfully with old way (stick on AV hole)

However, I failed to activate the multi boot, every time i sttart BAckup on Adroid it appear libreoffice zip file, not the (aml_update.zip) aml_autoscript.zip

Moreover, the Ubuntu recognize my Android box only 1GB RAM instead of 2GB of mine

Hi all,

Thanks again for the good work balbes and the rest of comunity.

I properlly managed to boot an image of debian strech to my S802, 1GB RAM, etc.

But It only recognizes 537MB RAM.

Could you help me to find how can I get t he full memory?

Regards,

On 8/26/2018 at 7:03 PM, CloudHoang said:

Hi,

I just flash this on M8S and boot with SD card.

Can you help me how to flash it to NAND???

I'm trying to run ./install.sh but I got the error /dev/data not mout.....

thanks for your help

Hello everyone, I have a similar error, I can run armbiam (Armbian_5.44_S812_Debian_stretch_3.10.108_server_20180521) from the sd card without problems but I can not make it install in the internal memory

I run the script ./install.sh without problems but when I remove the SD card to boot from internal memory, the screen remains black, any ideas?

root@minix:~# ./install.sh 
Start copy system for DATA partition.
Formatting DATA partition...
umount: /dev/data: not mounted
/dev/data contiene un sistema de ficheros ext4
        última fecha de montaje de /storage Thu Jan  1 01:00:01 1970
Sugerencia: utilice un núcleo de Linux >= 3.18 para disponer de una mejor estabilidad de los metadatos y de suma de comprobación del fichero de transacciones.
e2fsck 1.43.4 (31-Jan-2017)
/dev/data: limpio, 11/840480 ficheros, 79396/3356160 bloques
done.
Copying ROOTFS.
Copy BIN
Copy BOOT
Create DEV
Copy ETC
Copy HOME
Copy LIB
Create MEDIA
Create MNT
Copy OPT
Create PROC
Copy ROOT
Create RUN
Copy SBIN
Copy SELINUX
Copy SRV
Create SYS
Create TMP
Copy USR
Copy VAR
Copy fstab
Done copy ROOTFS
Writing new kernel image...
65536+0 registros leídos
65536+0 registros escritos
33554432 bytes (34 MB, 32 MiB) copied, 2,57343 s, 13,0 MB/s
writing boot image config in bootimg.cfg
extracting kernel in zImage
extracting ramdisk in initrd.img
extracting second stage image in stage2.img
reading kernel from /boot/uImage
Writing Boot Image /dev/boot
reading ramdisk from /boot/initrd.img-3.10.108
Writing Boot Image /dev/boot
done.
Write env bootargs
Complete copy OS to eMMC parted DATA
root@minix:~# 

My device is a minix neo 8x-h with 2 GB of RAM and 16 GB internal memory

Thank you very much

balbes150,
  I'd like to thank you for the time and work that you have put into the Armbian project. It is amazing that I can get even more life out of my old box.

I'm not asking for any help or fixes for any issues below, I'm just wanting to give some feedback.

(But if you have a link on how I could find the correct compatible flags and parameters, I'd appreciate it. Or do you have to read the datasheet for each part?)

Below are my experiences when using your builds on a Minix X8-h Plus (S812H SOC, 16GB NAND, 2GB RAM)
  I have installed the 3.10.108 and the more recent 4.16-4.19 versions on my Minix X8-H Plus device.
  All of them have booted successfully and are completely usable, but have a few issues that is probably due to a mismatched dtb file.
  I'm planning to use the system as a headless server, so audio/graphics weren't tested.

The dumps of the 6 dtb files from the original Android boot.img file and UART logs for the following builds are available if anyone finds them useful.

The X8-H Plus is an S812-H device (2GB RAM, 16GB NAND) with the following components (visual inspection):

• Ethernet: RTL8211F
  • Wifi/Bluetooth: AP6335
  • Power Controller: Ricoh RN5T6128M (UART says it's a RN5T618)
  • USB Hub Controller: GL852G
  • De-compiled Android DTB file (original version in link above)

Armbian_5.44_S812_Debian_stretch_3.10.108_server_20180521

• Using 'meson8m2_n200_2G.dtb'
  • Seeing only 1.5GB out of 2GB of RAM
  • Internal storage is accessible, but unable to successfully install and boot from NAND
  • Unable to boot without HDMI cable plugged in.
  •   -- You previously said that the service would need to be disabled by a kernel rebuild. I'm going to try using a dummy HDMI plug once delivered.
  • UART Log

Armbian_5.41_S812_Ubuntu_xenial_4.16.0-rc6_server_20180402
Armbian_5.41.1_S812_Ubuntu_xenial_4.17.0-rc3_server_20180502

Armbian_5.64_Aml-s812_Debian_XXXX_next_4.19.0-rc8_20181022

• Using 'meson8m2-mxiii-plus.dtb'
  • Seeing full 2GB RAM
  • Internal storage is inaccessible - I believe you have said this is expected for kernel version 4.x
  • Ethernet MAC address changes on every boot (DTB issue or kernel not reading uboot correctly?)
  • UART Log
Edited by kcender
Removed quoting user balbes150 in my reply.

15 hours ago, kcender said:

Armbian_5.41_S812_Ubuntu_xenial_4.16.0-rc6_server_20180402
Armbian_5.41.1_S812_Ubuntu_xenial_4.17.0-rc3_server_20180502

Armbian_5.64_Aml-s812_Debian_XXXX_next_4.19.0-rc8_20181022

To build version 4.x I use sources from Martin. It will be good if you test the version results with kernel 4.x will be duplicated in the mailing list, where this information will be able to see the developers.

http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-amlogic