Armbian for Amlogic S805 and S802/S812

masteripper

Hello! I was able to run on the MINIX X8-H only the old kernel Armbian_5.77_Aml-s812_Ubuntu_bionic_default_3.10.108_20190326.img with the file meson8m2_n200_2G_LAN100.dt

Tell me how to run a more modern kernel. I want to run docker. Maybe someone has such an experience

On 8/17/2019 at 7:27 AM, pushkarik said:

Hello! I was able to run on the MINIX X8-H only the old kernel Armbian_5.77_Aml-s812_Ubuntu_bionic_default_3.10.108_20190326.img with the file meson8m2_n200_2G_LAN100.dt

Tell me how to run a more modern kernel. I want to run docker. Maybe someone has such an experience

Hi, I'm in the same search.

I have an M8S (S812/BCM4335 wifi/2GB RAM/8GB eMMc). The only DTB that works for me is meson8m2_n200C_1G (I try all of them), on wich I have only 1 GB Ram and wifi doesn't work, but for the use that I give it serves me.

Now, I need to run Docker, and it works on 3.10 Kernel, BUT 64 bits systems, wich this image isn't.

On these folder https://yadi.sk/d/wc2jqGsHuKy48/Armbian/5.77/KERNEL_5 there is 2 images, but in none of them is the dtb that I need.

Any ideas?

Thank you Balbes150 for your GREAT job!

Hi!

My device is Netxeon M82G V2.0 S812/2G/8G/AP6330 (Tronsmart MXIII Plus clone?).
Armbian_5.77 from balbes150 works flawless from the first start. Only wifi needs "modprobe dhd" command or adding to "/etc/modules-load.d/modules.conf" for autostart.

1) How to install it to emmc memory?

2) Is there a chance for developing next Armbian releases for S812?

On 10/3/2019 at 5:43 AM, krokodyl said:

Hi!

My device is Netxeon M82G V2.0 S812/2G/8G/AP6330 (Tronsmart MXIII Plus clone?).
Armbian_5.77 from balbes150 works flawless from the first start. Only wifi needs "modprobe dhd" command or adding to "/etc/modules-load.d/modules.conf" for autostart.

1) How to install it to emmc memory?

2) Is there a chance for developing next Armbian releases for S812?

If you dont add to to /etc/modules. Will not initialize on reboot.

1 - install.sh in the 5.4.4 image. I had to edit mine base on how my bootloader initializes my boot.img (see fw_printemv - look at initargs). I have the s802 m8_K200_2GSDIO. works perfect. 

@balbes150 i have a question. First off thank you so much. And all the members as well. i read this entire forum 10 times. I had an old amlogic s802 k200 that was collecting dust and is now revitalized - on its way to being an IOT server.  I have all your imgs for the s802 working on it. sd, usb and emmc. 

The problem i am faced with is  that i have great sound and video with the debian image but with the ubuntu image, the video is choppy and sound not good. But with the Ubuntu image the power button works switching on an off but the debian does not allow power button to switch off. I am using the SDIO DTB extracted from my Android boot.img..but it cannot be the DTB since both ditros use the same DTB. This is the only problem i am having. I tried switch the kernels around and that made no difference. Could you please point me as to where to look?

dmesg.5.7.7.debian.desktop.txt dmesg.5.7.7.Ubuntu.Desktop.txt

Edited by K200_Noob
the debian dmesg is booting complete from internal media

On 10/1/2019 at 7:39 AM, tuyenda1985 said:

Hi everybody
I have a Tronsmart S89 device, which dtb file do I have to use?
Let my device boot successfully
Sorry, use google translate

I would suggest extracting the dtb image from your android firmware if you have one.  see the link below;

https://www.cnx-software.com/2014/05/12/how-to-extract-a-device-tree-file-from-android-firmware-files/

Use dtc to convert android dtb to dts and dtc once more to convert it back to dtb for formatting. Work flawlessly for me. i have the generic MXIII 2g 8emmc i believ its a chinagaddgets one, and was able to get the 2g ram to show up. Just be sure that if you are using the 5.77 image, the outputmode is set to 1080p. that should show up in fw_printenv. Dont confuse with hdmimode, these are 2 separate things. The 5.4.4 img uses an outputmode of 720p to display graphics. I am assuming its the same for your box.

Let me know if you need additional help.

Hi, i use old Wetek Core s812H. Does CE support this box? I tried to install using this manual:
https://forum.freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/606133-linux-images-for-s802-s805-s812-s905-s905x-s912-sd-usb-emmc
and i failed.
I have additional questions.

1. I read manual about copying dtp file to root folder on second partition. Its about folder "root" or just in root "/" ?

2. There is info about aml_update.zip file. In BOOT partition there is just aml_autoscript.zip.

First of all i flashed SD card using Etcher (im on macOS).

Thx in advance.

2. There is info about aml_update.zip file. In BOOT partition there is just aml_autoscript.zip.

the aml_update.zip is the file that you normaly use to activate linux and multiboot option from Android for bootloader (this updat the bootloader) , the aml_autoscript.zip is the one if you inside bootloader to update bootloader ( the autoscript.zip is part of the update.zip).

1. I read manual about copying dtp file to root folder on second partition. Its about folder "root" or just in root "/" ?

normaly the right dtb for your device go to /boot/ (<5.5 image) or the path inside uEnv.ini (>5.7 image)

@RaptorSDS

Thank You for answer.

Ad. 1. I'll try with <5.5 image.

Ad. 2. As my box has dual boot enabled so i dont need to to run aml_update.zip file i suppose. So only to do is to try using one of dtp files from dtp folder and copy to /boot folder and to check if it works. If none of them not working it means i there is no way to use Armbian on this box?

9 hours ago, Junoxe said:

@RaptorSDS

Thank You for answer.

Ad. 1. I'll try with <5.5 image.

Ad. 2. As my box has dual boot enabled so i dont need to to run aml_update.zip file i suppose. So only to do is to try using one of dtp files from dtp folder and copy to /boot folder and to check if it works. If none of them not working it means i there is no way to use Armbian on this box?

@Junoxe 

if you have mutiboot enable, the question is does it point the boot.scr namely s805_autoscript and/or emmc_autoscript to loaf the kernel, initrd and dtb file?

It should have the information below in your uboot env

start_autoscript=if usb start; then run start_usb_autoscript; fi; if mmcinfo; then run start_mmc_autoscript; fi; run start_emmc_autoscript;
start_emmc_autoscript=if fatload mmc 0 11000000 emmc_autoscript; then autoscr 11000000; fi; if ext4load mmc 0:${system_part} 11000000 emmc_autoscript; then autoscr 11000000; fi; if fatload mmc 1 11000000 emmc_autoscript; then autoscr 11000000; fi; if ext4load mmc 1:${system_part} 11000000 emmc_autoscript; then autoscr 11000000; fi;
start_mmc_autoscript=if fatload mmc 0 11000000 s805_autoscript; then autoscr 11000000; fi;
start_usb_autoscript=if fatload usb 0 11000000 s805_autoscript; then autoscr 11000000; fi; if fatload usb 1 11000000 s805_autoscript; then autoscr 11000000; fi; if fatload usb 2 11000000 s805_autoscript; then autoscr 11000000; fi; if fatload usb 3 11000000 s805_autoscript; then autoscr 11000000; fi;

the aml_autoscript is uboot wrapped with mkimage which when activated once using the button method writes this information to the uboot environment allowing to boot the kernel. the aml_autoscript needs to be in the root level of the /boot partition or any sdcard with single partition with it at the root level.

once that is done, what RaptorSDS meant was editing the uEnv.ini file to the location of the dtb file.

dtb_name=/dtb/<name-of-my-file.dtb> 
bootargs=root=/dev/data rootflags=data=writeback rw console=ttyS0,115200n8 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0 cvbsdrv=0 vdaccfg=0xa000 logo=osd1,loaded,0x7900000,${hdmimode},full cvbsmode=576cvbs 

the old .img needed to have dtb copied to boot/root level and renamed dtb.img but NOT with the new images. as you will be with the new s805_autoscript calls for uEnv.ini to be loaded for the dtb and giving the kernel the boot arguments.

This is how the kernel, initrd, dtb and uEnv.ini is loaded;

if fatload XXX # ${kernel_addr} uImage; then if fatload mmc 0 ${initrd_addr} uInitrd; then if fatload mmc 0 ${env_addr} uEnv.ini; then env import -t ${env_addr} ${filesize};fi; if fatload mmc 0 ${dtb_addr} ${dtb_name}; then run boot_start; else imgread dtb boot ${dtb_addr}; run boot_start;fi;fi;fi;

XXX is the device from where its loaded, mmc or usb ..etc

# is the device number ...0,1,2,3...

any questions we are here to help...

Hello folks,

I am missing some features in the currently included kernel (10.33.108), hence I wanted to compile my own one. Unfortunately it's hard to get the exact same (working) kernel version. All I could find so far is the amlogic 3.10.33 one.

Does anyone know where the source of the currently used kernel is located?

Thanks a lot!

On 1/7/2020 at 3:33 PM, menelike said:

Hello folks,

I am missing some features in the currently included kernel (10.33.108), hence I wanted to compile my own one. Unfortunately it's hard to get the exact same (working) kernel version. All I could find so far is the amlogic 3.10.33 one.

Does anyone know where the source of the currently used kernel is located?

Thanks a lot!

Start here maybe?  

https://github.com/150balbes/Amlogic_s8xx-kernel

try here:

https://github.com/umiddelb/armhf/wiki/How-To-compile-a-custom-Linux-kernel-for-your-ARM-device

1 hour ago, menthorul said:

Hello,

Anyone tried to use Armbian on MINIX Neo x8-h plus?

Don't how but wanna try.

Cheers

Hi,

I have exactly the same box (minix x8h-plus) and in past I was able to use armbian image with 3.10 kernel (with desktop), but was unable to use docker that was my main purpose (kernel 3.10 is to old to run docker). I've tried to run a more recent kernel build as per the advice of @ntux user but without success and give I up.

I've decided now to give another try (use Armbian + docker) and yesterday using the 5.78 with 5.1 kernel I've successfully manage to boot the box. Didn't make to tests but it boot and ethernet is working with no issue. Please note that is working headless, meaning no hdmi output, I'm connecting via ssh (I look fo the IP on a app installed in my phone that scans the lan). I’m using the out of the box dtb, that from top of my mind I think mxiii (I made no changes to uenv.ini)

My goal is to run docker with several server services so I'm now testing to build kernel with the required flags. I'm following @ntux user guide posted on this thread march 7 2019.

To be continued … :)

I have one question thus, I want that the built kernel includes the standard dvb drivers. I have a usb tuner that is supported since 4.16 kernel. Can anyone guide me on what flags should I use on .config file?

so I am having issue with massive frame drops when streaming youtube at higher resolution on either Firefox or Chrome and came across the below which i thought i would share;

root@s802:~# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
interactive

Extract: - CPU frequency and voltage scaling code in the Linux(TM) kernel

2.6 Interactive

---------------

The CPUfreq governor "interactive" is designed for latency-sensitive,

interactive workloads. This governor sets the CPU speed depending on

usage, similar to "ondemand" and "conservative" governors. However,

the governor is more aggressive about scaling the CPU speed up in

response to CPU-intensive activity.

Sampling the CPU load every X ms can lead to under-powering the CPU

for X ms, leading to dropped frames, stuttering UI, etc. Instead of

sampling the cpu at a specified rate, the interactive governor will

check whether to scale the cpu frequency up soon after coming out of

idle. When the cpu comes out of idle, a timer is configured to fire

within 1-2 ticks. If the cpu is very busy between exiting idle and

when the timer fires then we assume the cpu is underpowered and ramp

to MAX speed.

https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/common/+/a7827a2a60218b25f222b54f77ed38f57aebe08b/Documentation/cpu-freq/governors.txt

~ Just Sharing <Sharing is Caring>

8 hours ago, menthorul said:

Can anyone point me to the right img for Minix X8-h plus?
Amin the files neede to make the device running a desktop with eth at least if not wifi?
Thanks

did you try  the NEXT version?

https://forum.freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s812-aa/tronsmart-aa/620898-linux-for-amlogic-s802-s812/page3

05-31-2017, 09:50

Updated images Armbian 20170531. Changes to scripts activate the multi-boot and run system from external media. In the new version of the scripts allow to start the system from any USB socket (if the is connected other USB media). Back support "nodm", now in the images is used in common with the main branch Armbian authorization system. If you want you can install the package "lightdm" in version Mate-that-be to have a graphical authentication when you log into the system (just don't forget together with the installation of lightdm, remove the nodm package, otherwise they will interfere with each other). Other changes see the description of changes to main branch Armbian (replacement browser on Chromium, etc.).
New scripts activate the multi-boot and system start-up can be found here. You can download them and use for old images. To reactivate the multi-boot again.
https://yadi.sk/d/cEPIULGW3Jgpee
https://yadi.sk/d/QCGU0PIv3G5kEa
New script to activate the multi-boot on the Minix models H8x and H8x plus.
https://yadi.sk/d/BU_pyfHW3JgpEP

On 1/7/2020 at 6:06 AM, K200_Noob said:

any questions we are here to help...

I thought it will be a bit simple. It will work or not. :)
Well, im so lame and n00b that i can't ask a proper question propably. So may be ill try to describe sitiation.

I have S812H (Wetek Core) box. LE is working smooth in its last supported version. Onboard system is kind of linux which is unable to log to google anymore. So i thought about exchange stock linux with i.e. armbian.

Dualboot is enabled becuase i can boot LE or system with a remote button during start of box. Thats why i told is enabled. Propably i was wrong.

Whatever You wrote about such files like uboot env, kernels or scripts its too much for me. :) May be You can simple tell if its possible to run armbian on my old box in a more or less simple way. :) For sure i can log via ssh or something like this. For sure i've never compiled anything.

did you try  the NEXT version?

https://forum.freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s812-aa/tronsmart-aa/620898-linux-for-amlogic-s802-s812/page3

05-31-2017, 09:50

Updated images Armbian 20170531. Changes to scripts activate the multi-boot and run system from external media. In the new version of the scripts allow to start the system from any USB socket (if the is connected other USB media). Back support "nodm", now in the images is used in common with the main branch Armbian authorization system. If you want you can install the package "lightdm" in version Mate-that-be to have a graphical authentication when you log into the system (just don't forget together with the installation of lightdm, remove the nodm package, otherwise they will interfere with each other). Other changes see the description of changes to main branch Armbian (replacement browser on Chromium, etc.).

New scripts activate the multi-boot and system start-up can be found here. You can download them and use for old images. To reactivate the multi-boot again.

https://yadi.sk/d/cEPIULGW3Jgpee

https://yadi.sk/d/QCGU0PIv3G5kEa

New script to activate the multi-boot on the Minix models H8x and H8x plus.

https://yadi.sk/d/BU_pyfHW3JgpEP

So.To activate multi boot what do i have to do?

Just to format any usb stick in fat32 and copy to root of usb the aml scripts?

Or to use make uboot?

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

I have an old tv box with S802 

MXIII 4k 1g8g netxeon m82

Just wondering what the latest Linux image I can get it to run and where would I find an image file. Most I find seem to only be for 2g boxes or I'm misinterpreting the info, which isn't that unlikely. Everything I have tried has failed so it would be nice to know if someone else got Linux install on one and which version

Thank in advance

5 hours ago, menthorul said:

So.To activate multi boot what do i have to do?

Just to format any usb stick in fat32 and copy to root of usb the aml scripts?

Or to use make uboot?

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Much simpler would be...Every Armbian image for the s802/s812 comes with it in the boot partition. When you burn the *.img to the SD card, turn on your box with the recovery button pressed in using the toothpick method. you do have a recovery button? the boot logo flashes once then let go of the button and should flash once more on its own. you will hear a faint piezo tone from the box when it flashes..but those are details. just watch for the logo flashing off and back on. and you're set.