usb port not working since last kernel update

argulp argulp

Hello

I have two Rockpi A (without wireless)

since I have upgraded to latest kernel:

6.1.50-current-rockchip64

One of the two USB3 port is not working, the top one (from usb-devices and lsusb I don't see any special difference)

it seems USB2 port are ok

same issue on two rockpi cards, I have try many usb devices (storage, network etc...) without success

I am alone with this issue ?

armbianmonitor send to http://ix.io/4IE9

Rgds

Same problem here - Rock 4B+. The upper USB3 port is not working. It does not respect OTG-host switch at all. Using device overlay to switch to port to host/peripheral mode does not work either.

Edited by kolsi

37 minutes ago, Pietro Mezzaroba said:

root@DietPi:~# uname -a

Linux DietPi 6.1.53-current-rockchip64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Sep 13 07:43:05 UTC 2023 aarch64 GNU/Linux

You aren't even using Armbian.  Why are you complaining in an Armbian forum?  Go get support for your dietpi from dietpi.

Also remember that Armbian is based on the work of volunteers donating their time (you certainly haven't paid anything to support or further Armbian).  So it doesn't make any difference if there are 10 users of a board or many more, generally there is no revenue coming to Armbian to support any boards (as generally the board manufacturers don't want to contribute anything in order to actually provide support, and hope that the Armbian volunteers will provide long term support for their boards for free).  Unless you are paying for support you have no right to expect something for free from Armbian.

But again since you aren't even using Armbian, you are even farther removed from the right to expect support from Armbian.

ok sorry, we didn't understand each other, dietpi is based on armbian, I thought it was clear,
I installed armbian on my board so maybe I will be taken into consideration, obviously by not paying I don't expect anything but I just want it to be taken into consideration

I also remember that it hasn't worked for almost two months

dietpi@192.168.1.35's password: 
 ____            _    ____               __   _  _   
|  _ \ ___   ___| | _|  _ \ _ __ ___    / /_ | || |
| |_) / _ \ / __| |/ / |_) | '__/ _ \  | '_ \| || |_
|  _ < (_) | (__|   <|  __/| | | (_) | | (_) |__   _|
|_| \_\___/ \___|_|\_\_|   |_|  \___/   \___/   |_|

Welcome to Armbian 23.8.1 Bookworm with Linux 6.1.50-current-rockchip64

System load:   2%               Up time:       3 min
Memory usage:  4% of 3.77G      IP:            192.168.1.35
CPU temp:      40°C             Usage of /:    6% of 29G

Last login: Mon Oct 23 13:28:30 2023 from 192.168.1.12
dietpi@rockpro64:~$ dmesg -l 0,1,2,3
[    2.461314] rockchip-pcie f8000000.pcie: PCIe link training gen1 timeout!
[    2.554637] dw-apb-uart ff180000.serial: Failed to create device link (0x180) with 0-001b
[    2.706293] dw-apb-uart ff180000.serial: Failed to create device link (0x180) with vcc3v3-sys
[    2.931269] phy phy-ff7c0000.phy.6: phy poweron failed --> -110
[    2.931404] dwc3 fe800000.usb: error -ETIMEDOUT: failed to initialize core
[    2.967139] dw-apb-uart ff180000.serial: Failed to create device link (0x180) with 0-001b
[    4.127677] OF: graph: no port node found in /i2c@ff3d0000/typec-portc@22
[    6.092866] (sd-execut[344]: /usr/lib/systemd/system-generators/netplan failed with exit status 1.
[   11.237351] Bluetooth: hci0: command 0x0c03 tx timeout
[   19.429381] Bluetooth: hci0: BCM: Reset failed (-110)
dietpi@rockpro64:~$ uname -a
Linux rockpro64 6.1.50-current-rockchip64 #3 SMP PREEMPT Wed Aug 30 14:11:13 UTC 2023 aarch64 GNU/Linux
dietpi@rockpro64:~$

the problem at hand is this dwc3 fe800000.usb: error -ETIMEDOUT: failed to initialize core

here you can find more information about the tests https://dietpi.com/forum/t/rk3399-hdmi-output-and-usb-3-0-not-working-with-linux-6-1/17776/43

Thx for your time 

Just because someone (dietpi) forks Armbian, doesn't give credit to armbian, and doesn't contribute back to Armbian, doesn't mean that Armbian can then support their end users.  We have no idea what dietpi has done to their code after forking off of armbian, so we again can't help you.  Complain to those that can/should be providing you support.  We can't.  Of course you always have the option to install a genuine Armbian build.  That doesn't mean that this will get magically fixed, but at least we will not completely ignore your request.

29 minutes ago, Pietro Mezzaroba said:
dietpi@192.168.1.35's password: 
 ____            _    ____               __   _  _   
|  _ \ ___   ___| | _|  _ \ _ __ ___    / /_ | || |
| |_) / _ \ / __| |/ / |_) | '__/ _ \  | '_ \| || |_
|  _ < (_) | (__|   <|  __/| | | (_) | | (_) |__   _|
|_| \_\___/ \___|_|\_\_|   |_|  \___/   \___/   |_|

Welcome to Armbian 23.8.1 Bookworm with Linux 6.1.50-current-rockchip64

System load:   2%               Up time:       3 min
Memory usage:  4% of 3.77G      IP:            192.168.1.35
CPU temp:      40°C             Usage of /:    6% of 29G

Last login: Mon Oct 23 13:28:30 2023 from 192.168.1.12
dietpi@rockpro64:~$ dmesg -l 0,1,2,3

I agree that this branding is confusing for end users.

Hello, same problem for me.

I have 3 RockPI 4B+ and 1 RockPI 4A and after a kernel update to the latest version the upper USB3 port is not working anymore.

I tryed ather other distributions (DietPI, ArchlinuxARM) on one of my board and the problem is replicated.

It appears to be a kernel problem!!!!!

Welcome to Armbian community support.

17 hours ago, Luca Di Natale said:

It appears to be a kernel problem!

Probably you are right. You don't expect from a few Armbian maintainers to fix problems for all other (competitive wanna be) distributions? At least Dietpi is directly competing with Armbian OS and without a shame making up they are better Debian and Armbian ... Average Joe can't see their sales BS which is contributing nothing to stability or overall experience - which is the value people seeks. Their usual support response on real problems: "Oh, this is kernel problem. Armbian/* developers must(!) fix that". Really? We can't fix this for our users, but we must for theirs. Sick.

All replies after initial post are pretty much useless pressure making. Its against forum rules and you don't talk to open source developers this way. They are totally overloaded without this and can only turn you down? See? You feel nice about copy cats that lies "we are not responsible, they are", bad about us. This is how open source piracy works. Fixing problems is expensive. Very expensive. They, including people that sold you hardware, are equally responsible or not responsible. This year we invested lets say 10.000 hours into R&D, bug fixing, they invested 10m for fixing banal common problem.

Armbian core interest is maintaining build framework https://github.com/armbian/build Download it, try it and try to use it to fix the problem you have with this hardware. When you do, make a contribution to code we ship, or directly to kernel.org You don't know how to code, but you would like our help? Check https://forum.armbian.com/staffapplications/ and start contributing daily to open source project. One full time general purpose person can have significant impact on resolving problems. In span of 5 years, months can be saved, perhaps a year.

Just for sorting out labeling colors, which are still not in best order, https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/5916 I spent more then a day. I am sure this is a task anyone could do. There are tons of non hardcore development related tasks that developers are dealing with in order that this project operates and that we have fun. No fun? If there is not fun ... there is source. Dig in and fix a problem. In open source, this is your problem anyway.

Currently we are struggle with those issues: https://www.armbian.com/participate/ This one was not even recorded yet as we don't have people and hiring is still not possible.

Closing this topic down. Armbian provides best effort support. Nothing more to add here. If / when solution is found, its continued here https://github.com/armbian/build/pulls

• Igor locked this topic