Help on quick installation guide on NVME

Khadas
Go to solution Solved by Khadas,

Before writing I searched the forum a bit but couldn't find any recent posts about it. I have an OPI5 board and on NVME I would like to install armbian.

I downloaded the image to micro sd and it boots fine.

At this point I don't know what to do because I had to waste a lot of time on it some time ago and I don't remember the steps.

With the armbian-config utility is it possible to clone the armbian release I am using on the micro sd? I remember that this wasn't possible some time ago.

I would like to know specifically the steps to take and whether it is advisable to delete any old partitions on nvme.

Thank you

I solved it but I don't understand why the armbian install command didn't copy anything on the nvme.

I had to delete the partitions on nvme, then copy the fresh image file onto the micro sd with a working image with scp and then load the image with dd.

By doing this I was able to fix it and it booted straight away.

4 minutes ago, Khadas said:

I don't understand why the armbian install command didn't copy anything on the nvme.

Because there really is no maintainer for this code.  There has been a plan to rewrite it from scratch for a couple of years that hasn't moved very far either.  So it just languishes, works sometimes and not others.

@Khadas

Having asked for the steps to be specifically listed, having now solved it yourself, might it be useful to others for you to list the steps that you took to obtain a resolution?

• Solution

Hi @compent you're right, I'll try to write what I did to solve the problem.

After these commands

run sudo armbian-install
   - option 7 to flash mtdblock0 (bootloader install)
   - option 4 (to install system and boot from mtdblock0)
     choose nvme0n1p2 partition to install system

After checking that when I rebooted it didn't start from nvme I did this

I deleted the nvme ssd partitions with fdisk

I copied the armbian image with SCP from another PC into a currently working installation folder on Microsd

Finally with the DD command I copied the image to nvme

Rebooted without micro sd and started from nvme with the fresh armbian image.

At this point for future installations on nvme with the new armbian images I will only delete with fdisk and copy with the dd command using an image on microsd.

I hope I was helpful.

I'm sorry to say but the installation part of armbian-config is very confusing to me