17 17
lanefu

Espressobin support development efforts

One more question for you... with the kernel "thinking" it's running at 1GHz (even though it isn't) that means it is still using the AVS logic as if it is running at 1GHz, correct?

Aren't all the problems I'm seeing telling us that the hardware even has stability problems at 800 MHz? So the kernel patch I showed above wasn't sufficient.

I wonder if Marvell is doing anything about this.

The espressobin has such great potential... there are a few commercial products built around it already. I don't understand how they could be ignoring these stability issues.

@FlashBurn @spqr

Please find the updated bootloader here (u-boot is unchanged; WTMI is updated to 18.12.1) - it should solve the stability issues and  it works fine on my V5_0_1 EspressoBin (https://pastebin.com/xJCtLXsH). The recovery images are also updated: sata-images and uart-images.

Could you please test if your EspressoBin ist stable now and if you can apply the pending cpufreq and xtal kernel patch without creating any further issues ?

Edit: links updated ; images are now available through Armbian servers

I haven´t tried an armbian kernel for a while now. I will look into this sometime in the next weeks. But as far as I followed the upstream fix should be in the kernel 4.19.xx.

It is just one fix missing regarding a too low voltage, which @sqpr found. I will see if I can point the right people at this patch.

25 minutes ago, FlashBurn said:

But as far as I followed the upstream fix should be in the kernel 4.19.xx.

That is the reason why we can't update our EspressoBins to kernel 4.19.4x and above anymore without experiencing crashes.

Hopefully the new bootloader released by marvell recently will be able to handle the new frequencies in the system.

Maybe you could bring me on line what problems you experience with the newer kernels?

I assume it is the problem that with a bootloader for 1000 MHz you have instabilities? If I´m right then a new bootloader will not help with this. What you can test, commenting out the avs in the dts file, compile a dtb and then test if the kernel is working for you.