18 18
lanefu

Espressobin support development efforts

On 10/3/2019 at 8:55 PM, mu-b said:

I'm asking GlobalScape if they know the root cause, that is the component that is not functioning correctly, wonder if I will receive of a response, Netgate don't seem to want to say.

I hope you will - looking forward to their response!

Well I've fixed my instability issue. The root cause was the same as https://forum.netgate.com/topic/144636/sg-1100-intermittent-reboots, and it was power related. The fix was to replace the 470uf/16V capacitor (component EC1 on the schematic) sat immediately behind the 12V DC jack which under testing leaked under certain temperature conditions (variations). As such the board is now stable and has been running OpenWRT 18.06.2 for 24 hours with memtester and stress running continuous during that entire time.

I'll leave it a few more days, after that I'm going to assume that its fixed and that is what NetGate were referring too when they mention 'a power related component'.

And GlobalScape will not tell you, they know of the problem, in a reply from Kevin Liu he says 'Yes, I do have knowledge regards the power related component issue.' when I asked which component it was so i could attempt to replace myself.

I found some time and tried the current version on my board:

http://ix.io/26iy

Still the same problem that the frequency is the wrong one :(

Am I the only one who is bothered by this? Does it work right for others?

(edited)

@FlashBurn I'm having the same problem - only getting 800MHz. It's frustrating, since I bought this board because it claimed to deliver 1.2GHz.

I think this is a problem in Linux, but I'm not sure where to report it, so I made a post in the espressobin.net forums.

Now I just discovered that they deleted my thread, but here's a repost:

Edited by Anders
Update link.

19 minutes ago, Smurfix said:

Yet another reason not to buy one of those things.

Yeah you guys are inspiring me to just throw my 2 boards in the trash.  I wanted to build an OMV box for my brother-in-law but I'm afraid to do so.

To be fair, I have three, from the first series. With identical settings, one is definitely unstable (dunno how they got it to pass what Globalscale considers testing, let alone what I would do), one is 100% stable and working as my main router, and one is in my "TODO try with current mainline" pile. We'll see whether I can get the thing to work without much hassle; if not, it'll be replaced with a Raspberry Pi 4 and two USB3 Ethernet dongles.

NB: Recycling, not trash, please. (Yes I know that electronics recycling is far from optimal.)