Comparison Bananian

indus

I was using bananian for the last year(and I still do) on a M1 for a operational running webservice. Is it worth the time to switch to armbian? Are there any big differences?

I want to switch the board sometime in the future; thats why I'm interested in the more flexible armbian in the first place. But right now I cant find a good alternative to the M1 for my use case.

@indus, I've decided to go this route rather than bananian, as I'm looking for a distro that provides some 'commonality' across a number of SBC boards. For my current project a Banana Pi M1+ provides the hardware I require. I have plans for another SBC deployment within my (small) network, where a Raspberry Pi may be suitable and another where a Cubie may be best suited. 

Having a common distro across all these boards is why I chose this route.

Hi Forum!

Just for the fun of it, i would like to upgrade a working bananian installation to armbian. Does anybody here know if the steps needed are already described somewhere?

Thanks for your time.

i would like to upgrade a working bananian installation to armbian

Which Bananian version using which kernel?

Please provide the output of:

uname -a
cat /etc/bananian_platform
cat /etc/bananian_version
cat /etc/debian_version

Even I made many tests ... backup is recommended.

Backup is highly recommended when trying to crossgrade from Bananian I would suspect?

At least sources.list should also be adjusted and an 'aptitude purge u-boot-bananian' before? Since otherwise 'apt-get upgrade' will create a mess?

Backup is highly recommended when trying to crossgrade from Bananian I would suspect?

At least sources.list should also be adjusted and an 'aptitude purge u-boot-bananian' before? Since otherwise 'apt-get upgrade' will create a mess?

Or from any other systems, yes.

I am removing their sources.list but am not sure for all custom packages. In any case, they are not updating anymore if list is gone ...

"icon_exclaim.gifBananian will not boot on your Banana Pi M1, M1+, Pro and R1 any longer icon_exclaim.gif"

Ouch!

No, not that. Only the possible Bananian package is not updating any more if upgraded to Armbian.

"icon_exclaim.gifBananian will not boot on your Banana Pi M1, M1+, Pro and R1 any longer icon_exclaim.gif"

This is just a quote from https://www.bananian.org/bananapi-m2#migrate_from_banana_pi_m1_m1_pro_and_r1(and true of course when you exchange the bootloader stuff for a different SoC). Anyway: I still would first check which hardware and which Debian/kernel version we're talking about before thinking about an upgrade.

Hi,

the upgrade to Armbian worked for me from Bananian 15.04 Wheezy with Openmediavault 2 on Banana Pro without problems. The sources from Bananian were deleted automatically.

I've just followed Igor instructions.

Now I've Linux bananapi 3.4.110 sun7i.

I needed Sunxi sndi2s driver for my Beaunanas (a Banana Nas server boxed in a French Burgondy Beaune wine bottle box in wood  :)  ) to make working my DAC with MPD, missed driver on Bananian 15.04.

Thanks for Armbian ! :D

I found Armbian more contemporary and more friendly out of the box:

• systemd (yeah, I hate it as everybody else but this is just convenience if you had many other systems)
  • bash as a default shell (zsh is not my beast)
  • network configurations are easier to switch (symlinks in /etc/network)
  • boot partition already mounted in filesystem
  • more SBCs supported, makes hardware a commodity, the same distribution on many boards makes management easier (I have ~10 running 24/7 and another 3 - 4 occasionally)

Other than that I did not found many reasons to switch from Bananian to Armbian, YMMV.