After upgrade ubuntu server stops booting and working

Timur Ljubuncic

After upgrade ubuntu server stops booting and working on Orange Pi Prime (H5, 2GB, WiFi...).

Upgrade goes from image (Armbian_5.32.170706_Orangepiprime_Ubuntu_xenial_dev_4.11.8.img) correctly (sudo su... apt-get update, apt-get upgrade,   plus install of mc, apache2, mysql, php, phpMySql ... apt-get autoclean). After it is done, I log in using Putty, and the system is still usable but on the login screen there is a message "Kernel upgraded, please restart" (or similar). once logged in I did "init 6" to restart, and Putty is disconnected, and no more response. that is it. Pressing any buttons on the board, disconnecting and reconnecting network, disconnection and reconnecting power supply produces no results. Only network and power are connected to the board, no keyboard or screen since it is meant to be a small web server. Not even LEDs turn on. It appears completely dead.

After I replace the image on the SD card, the Pi starts working again normally. I am using 4GB SD, and initially there is some 50% free space. After upgrade I think it drops down to 40%, but there is still sufficient space. CPU is warm to touch, I would assume some 40-45' C (105-115' F). The rest of the board is cool. I repeated the process 3 times up to now, assuming that it was my error, but with same results all 3 times.

I still didn't try checking the card on another Linux PC, since I have access only to "Ubuntu - Live CD".

Please help.

42 minutes ago, Timur Ljubuncic said:

Please help.

OMG. Why do we write red warning signs on development auto-generated images at first login? :) Those images (kernel) are not finished - meant for deployment, upgrading is not tested and there is no support.

If you plan to use those semi working builds at least freeze upgrading kernel and related packages and wait for the first release. Expected in 1-2 months.

5 hours ago, Timur Ljubuncic said:

I will try some other Debian Linux since it really makes little difference to me.

Kernel, low-level support which is essential is non-existing (in development) for this chip. Any other Debian Linux on this planet can only have the same or worse support. Usually much worse. They can and they do use our development kernel or the one from chip maker, which I would only recommend staying away ... http://www.orangepi.org/downloadresources/ Those images were made to fool you buy the board.

Minor issues are present only in images labelled "stable". All our preview images are working - we put them out when basic things work, but we don't test them for upgrades. There is a fix on this forum to make this board operational. Do search.

Welcome to ARM development boards world :P If you need a working solution now, get an H3 board .. or rather wait. Board is nice and it's already working quite ok. It's just not ready for end users.

Igor,

I truly sympathize with you about stuff. I think we're up to 5 with OPiWin and hdmi not working :)

IMHO, to limit most of these questions with the WIP boards you need to some kind of pop-up window when they go to download it to display a basic status page (just what works at this point, no need to update it until stable), a big warning message and what not to do (like apt-get upgrade)

People dont read or really understand what WIP/experimental means ....

TB

I think this is clear enough? Not? A reminder on every boot up?

It's only on first boot. Then perhaps we should just leave that disclaimer always on?

5 hours ago, t-bob said:

IMHO, to limit most of these questions with the WIP boards you need to some kind of pop-up window when they go to download it to display a basic status page (just what works at this point, no need to update it until stable), a big warning message and what not to do (like apt-get upgrade)

People dont read or really understand what WIP/experimental means ....

Some pop-up was planed - while my HTML/JS programming is rusted :) Haven't done that for years and even small things are hard and must read around.

Yes, people do not read warnings anymore those days ... One option is to freeze kernel upgrades on those images by default and there is no need for extra warnings.

32 minutes ago, Igor said:

Then perhaps we should just leave that disclaimer always on?

Of course. And every occurence of the highly misleading string 'nightly' should be replaced with 'untested_beta' everywhere. In filenames, on download pages, everywhere. And in case a desktop image is provided or the image allows to install such crap we need a new background picture in red with huge black letters on it yelling 'You're using an UNTESTED BETA that only exists to provide constructive feedback. Things are expected to break anytime.'

I thought about a different improvement regarding this - we may change image names to add extra prefixes to the version so you get

• "Armbian_stable_${version}..." - for official/stable releases,
  • "Armbian_user-built_${version}..." - for images built manually,
  • "Armbian_unstable_${version}..." - for WIP configurations and dev kernel branches,
  • "Armbian_testing_${version}..." - for anything else (like nightlies for stable branches)

(including mass renaming of all existing images).

This way even people downloading directly from our archive may think twice before complaining about "unstable" images.

Why should developer speak or Debian release jargon in this case affect users? In my experience users understand and hate the meaning of 'beta' ('Ha, those lazy developers want me to do their work! Wasting my time as betatester!'), they also learned to fear 'x.0' versions and that's the reason in the meantime some (or maybe even many?) commercial software vendors release an early beta as x.0 and the final betas as x.1 to get some valuable feedback from their more adventurous customers out there.

If we're not switching perspective no improvement will be possible.

30 minutes ago, tkaiser said:

If we're not switching perspective no improvement will be possible.

Please elaborate on this. All I see in the H5/A64 forum section is that people interpret "beta" as "has minor issues and some polishing is required" beta, not "may break on upgrade" beta, so IMO "unstable" is a better word to describe our testing images for users that bought a new board (i.e. A64/H5) that doesn't have any stable Armbian releases yet.

14 minutes ago, zador.blood.stained said:

Please elaborate on this.

https://www.armbian.com/orange-pi-prime/

Where do you read 'beta' or anything else that's not hidden in a wall of text and tells the user that if they're not developers they should go away (or use at their own risk)? Experimental and nightly are words without meaning. Experimental: People download, burn, start, experiment succeeded. Nightly? WTF, don't care, it's day now.

Developers think differently (they know that a nightly build is untested) and fail to reduce the time wasted on useless support. I don't care that much if we use unstable or beta as long as we get rid of 'nightly' which is meaningless. And as we've already seen such motd stuff that appears only once is useless, same with warnings on pages, intros above every forum and so on.

We fail to be more drastic with all this time wasting stuff. Why not leaving the motd stuff on, why not changing first login so that prior to user creation on those 'not for end users' images they have to walk through an annoying dialog asking them three simple questions to check whether they understood what they're about to do?

OK peeps, thanks for all the lengthy replies about red text. Short answer that I and probably many others would prefer is "Sorry not working yet, check in 3-4 months or try ... image". Either way, I tried Orange Pi Prime Debian server from http://www.orangepi.org/downloadresources/. Works amazingly well, apart from HDMI resolution, which I really don't care much about. I am leaving X on it, just so I can adjust my router settings if need arises. If it wasn't for that, X would be gone in order to save space.

Either way, I am quite happy with the board. Thank you all for all the help.

6 hours ago, Timur Ljubuncic said:

Short answer that I and probably many others would prefer is "Sorry not working yet, check in 3-4 months or try ... image". Either way, I tried Orange Pi Prime Debian server

It looks pointless to me - only big red or toxic yellow signs might help, like Thomas suggested :) Its all written but people failed to read the text. You also failed to read or understand my recommendation. Stock image is also not for usage, but for other reasons. If you like your time and data, you will need to set up everything yet again. 

On 28. 9. 2017 at 7:28 AM, Igor said:

only big red or toxic yellow signs might help

Added for all download options labelled "Experimental" (red) and "Testing" (dark yellow).

newdownload.png