Roseapple Pi Build?

Lemonzest

Huh. This probably wont help you but anyway - I noticed one "give away samples action" on their home page and put my data. That was about 6 months ago ... I got it around one month ago.

seems like a nice board the question is whats the drawback ?

It look nicer if compared to Lemaker Guitar which uses the same SoC ... The main common problem is poor kernel development which aims towards Android. Linux (mainline) support is virtually non existing / way further than what we have on Allwinner ... at least on my quick findings up to now.

Heheh even worse then allwinner didnt think that existed shame since the hardware looks capable.

It look nicer if compared to Lemaker Guitar which uses the same SoC ... The main common problem is poor kernel development which aims towards Android. Linux (mainline) support is virtually non existing / way further than what we have on Allwinner ... at least on my quick findings up to now.

Sometimes Board does not complete the boot process and halts at "reset_to_adfu"

Probably some harcoded thing in drivers/input/key_scan.c in the lemaker u-boot sources.

lemaker (sources) does not take care about the other devices and to avoid such issues it needs probably a patch but only for the roseapple.

Alternately maybe use u-boot sources from the xapp-le repo (only for the roseapple)

for anyone who wants to try build images keep it in mind.

;)

Ok, but the "problem" is that the u-boot sources from lemaker are a bit "newer" but fo the moment i would leave it as it is.

Let's see if someone of the only few users/real buyers of this board reacts and are interested in using armbian.

What's your plan for the future, regards the actions boards?

Hi,

I looked into the image. And I found: NO GLES or something equal.

As I mentioned sometimes before: It is totally uninteresing to support any board with PowerVR.

If someone needs any board wihout video output for making a server - there are a lot.

If you provide that, then you always have to think about that that you abet the producer or patent holder to go on making this nasty deception. They give a PowerVR GPU an hide the essential infomation. 

Cheers

ThomasGB

@ThomasGB

You can install the binary GPU driver if you want.

And what makes the boards with GPU Mali binary "crap" driver better?

As I told in an other tread before: I looked into the software for PowerVR about two days long. It is completely chaos. Even I don't know any source to get a linux-version from. You ask for the difference? Mali GPU works! The software is free avaiable. Look at Orange PI PC, or Odroid C1+.

And now - have you ever seen the GPU software for BananaPI M2? For Cubieboard 8? For a "Lemmon PI" ? No?

Have you ever seen a software from those producers that works reliable? No?

From my opinion it's a waste of time to support boards with hardware from which you have no documentation.

For Mali GPU you find for example here:

https://malideveloper.arm.com/resources/documentation/

Do you have any similar source for PowerVR? No? Ok - nice for talking about;)

But my biggest issue now is: I can only get 18 Mb/s with the USB3 using the latest Armbiam. Know anything about it? Is that a limitation of the current kernel release?

Surprisingly, during the file transfer the CPU usage does not exceed 25% of a single core.

4 hours ago, joaofl said:

But my biggest issue now is: I can only get 18 Mb/s with the USB3 using the latest Armbiam. Know anything about it? Is that a limitation of the current kernel release?

Surprisingly, during the file transfer the CPU usage does not exceed 25% of a single core.

Unfortunately nothing much is going on with this kernel. You got any better speed with some other kernel?

@Igor

So far I have tested with your latest Armbiam and their official Debian. I should test with Android as well. Would it give any help?

The kernel from Xapp-le last commit was june 2016... They also have this ubuntu snappy core, but I did not compile it yet, and I could not find the image for that.

@tkaiser

It is Mb/s.. Mega bytes... For that I used the command, after mouting and while inside a folder of the disk I wanted to test:

dd if=/dev/zero of=temp.img bs=2G count=1 oflag=dsync

This eliminates the possibility of reading from the input file (if) to delay the writing.

It's all about kernel, which is most likely the same on all stock builds which is 1+ years old and generally in bad shape. IIRC there were some problems with USB3 and it's possible that is disabled.

There are three companies / boards which are using Actionsemi S500: Lemaker Guitar, Xapple RoseapplePi and Allo Sparky. We are using Lemaker's kernel, which is in better shape than from Xapple, while I haven't check if Allo made any progress. In any case, there is little to no community involvement.

14 minutes ago, Igor said:

It's all about kernel, which is most likely the same on all stock builds which is 1+ years old and generally in bad shape. IIRC there were some problems with USB3 and it's possible that is disabled.

There are three companies / boards which are using Actionsemi S500: Lemaker Guitar, Xapple RoseapplePi and Allo Sparky. We are using Lemaker's kernel, which is in better shape than from Xapple, while I haven't check if Allo made any progress. In any case, there is little to no community involvement.

From those I was only aware of the Lemaker.

A quick browse on the Allo repo, and they seem more active. I found a commit that seems to enable the USB3: https://github.com/sparkysbc/Linux/commit/3867b3fd05d2998a5503bb6c72a4946b5580a563

Pity that the community did not grow. Do you think it is worth trying to compile Allo's kernel, or to put any effort on this board?

51 minutes ago, joaofl said:

Mb/s.. Mega bytes... For that I used the command, after mouting and while inside a folder of the disk I wanted to test:

dd if=/dev/zero of=temp.img bs=2G count=1 oflag=dsync

Well, the usual notation is MB/s, that's why I asked. Also I'm wondering whether this kernel really supports buffer sizes of 2GB (and if that's the case how that should fit into DRAM). Maybe you want to try out this instead (chdir to test dir before)

iozone -e -I -a -s 100M -r 4k -r 16k -r 512k -r 1024k -r 16384k -i 0 -i 1 -i 2

And then the output of 'sudo armbianmonitor -u' afterwards would be interesting (maybe just to see dmesg flooded with USB errors -- in the meantime I came to the conclusion that this board had a way better name in the beginning: it was called LemonPi back then -- see N°2 here https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lemon)

17 minutes ago, joaofl said:

Pity that the community did not grow. Do you think it is worth trying to compile Allo's kernel, or to put any effort on this board?

Pity is also that most board makers include community support into their business model as necessity which means product is barely usable and doesn't live long without community involvement. If you want to use this boards USB3 and you have free time, why not.

@tkaiser

follows the output iozone: http://sprunge.us/eKjV

by the way, what does this command do?

But actually with dd, I get pretty much the same results for different bs. like bs=128M count=20

The annoying errors are due to some backlight control module, that has to be disabled. Not from the usb, at least it looks like.

@Igor

1 hour ago, Igor said:

Pity is also that most board makers include community support into their business model as necessity which means product is barely usable and doesn't live long without community involvement.

Thats very much true. It must be even more sad to the chip maker. At least they give boards for free.

And sorry for the naive question, but how would I configure armbiam compile to clone from the Allo instead of Lemaker?

Thank you guys.

I tried to do some merge between sparky allo and lemaker distributions. Basically, I merged the changes done to sparky related to USB3, to a fork of lemaker.

Menaged to compile it, but id did not change the USB3 limitation.

Not sure what to try next.. Any idea?