Armbian for Amlogic S9xxx kernel 5.x

balbes150

Information in this topic is very outdated see this topic.

The start system in Coreelec is not compatible with LibreELECE  Armbian  etc. If you run coreelec on your TV box, you will no longer be able to run LE and Armbian normally until the full recovery of the standard firmware via the USB Burn Tool and the new activation of the universal multi-boot, which is used in all new systems.

The new version 5.55 of images. In this version, images with a single DE (XFCE) and a server in composition are as close as possible to the official versions. Version with a Mate and Icewm will probably be later and the gathering will be from another branch GIT (specially adapted for this DE). Since now all the images will be collected using the main kernel "4.1 x", have a common structure for the entire line of s9xxx and differ significantly in steps when configuring the system, I open a separate topic for this direction.

https://yadi.sk/d/pHxaRAs-tZiei

https://mega.nz/#F!j9QSDQSQ!6WpasOlbZYIInfw6yo4phQ

The primary steps to capture an image, activate multi-boot, and select a dtb file are common with the previous images.

Please note that starting with the version number version 20180928.

Major change. A new algorithm for the use of the dtb. Starting with this version, you no longer need to copy the dtb files and rename it to "dtb.img." In order to specify which dtb file to use, you need to edit the file 'uEnv.ini" (specify the desired file name for use dtb). This is a plain text file and can be easily edited. This change will make it easy to update the kernel from the "deb" file in the future. The new algorithm is now used in the eMMC system installation script.

Be sure to activate multi-boot using the new image. If multiboot previously activated is required to repeat activation using files in a new image.

Pay attention. To use the system with

u-boot-2015 (regular firmware Android), you need to edit the file "uEnv.ini"

When using

u-boot-2018, you need to edit the file "/extlinux/extlinux.conf"

For those who doubt or do not know what u-boot is used, you can specify the desired name in both files at the same time.

To change the used MAC address.

1 options

You can add the required parameter to the startup files (uEnv.ini and extlinux.conf). To do this, at the end of the line with the launch parameters, you need to add a parameter specifying the desired MAC address.

For example,

mac=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx 

or

ethaddr=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Old info multiboot

https://sourceforge.net/p/amlogic-s9xxx/code/ci/master/tree/

add info

https://medium.com/@vysmol/how-to-install-ubuntu-on-s905w-and-simular-tv-boxes-ru-eng-7aca3e1011a5

Install Armbian to eMMC.

1. Be sure to activate multi-boot using the new image. If multiboot previously activated is required to repeat activation using files in a new image.

2. Run Armbian from external media, run "ddbr" and create full backup eMMC.

3.  install Armbian on eMMC execute script “/root/install.sh”.

Please note, this is a test installation, which was tested only on a few models. Possible errors (Armbian will not boot) when you are working on unverified models which used non-standard distribution of partitions in the eMMC. Therefore, be sure to back up the "ddbr" utility before running the scripts.

I tested your newest debian server on my x96 mini with s905w dtb and it works well!

I was also able to install a desktop environment with armbian-config.

As expected wifi and bluetooth are not detected. It should require some specific firmware (armbian-firmware installed) but I had not open my box to see the chip.

I also saw a problem with zram service not working.

Install Armbian to eMMC.

1. Be sure to activate multi-boot using the new image. If multiboot previously activated is required to repeat activation using files in a new image.

2. Run Armbian from external media, run "ddbr" and create full backup eMMC.

3. Execute script “/boot/create-mbr-linux.sh”

3.  install Armbian on eMMC execute script “/root/install.sh”.

Please note, this is a test installation, which was tested only on a few models. Possible errors (Armbian will not boot) when you are working on unverified models which used non-standard distribution of partitions in the eMMC. Therefore, be sure to back up the "ddbr" utility before running the scripts.

I was also able to boot from a s912 device (TAP Pro 2/16Gb) with dtb meson-gxm-vega-s96.dtb. I made the same tests and had the same resultsas with x96 mini:

- no wifi/bt

- DE install ok

If you want some logs or any additionnal information, don't hesitate to ask.

Hello, How did you install. I have downloaded Armbian_5.55_Aml-s9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.18.0-rc5_desktop_20180814.img.xz. Then extracted with 7-zip.  When I try to load img file I get following error.

Untitled.png

DSH, Armbian images are not intended to be downloaded via USB BT. View the installation order in the previous sections (e.g. here https://forum.armbian.com/topic/2419-armbian-for-amlogic-s905-and-s905x/).

Balobes150

Did I understand you correctly that I found a way to put kernels above 3.14 in NAND?

PS and that with hardware decoding, and the everywhere silence :(

Spoiler

RUS

Правильно ли я тебя понял, что нашел способ ставить ядра выше 3.14 в NAND?

PS и что с аппаратным декодированием, а то везде тишина :(

2 hours ago, dsh said:

Hello, How did you install. I have downloaded Armbian_5.55_Aml-s9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.18.0-rc5_desktop_20180814.img.xz. Then extracted with 7-zip.  When I try to load img file I get following error. 

Read the instructions carefully, these images are only for writing to external media. Installation on the eMMC is performed after the system is properly started from external media.

17 minutes ago, duong.dt7@gmail.com said:

How to update or any linux 4.xx for s805

To do this, you need to build your new kernel.

9 minutes ago, Baloven said:

Did I understand you correctly that I found a way to put kernels above 3.14 in NAND? 

Yes, that's right. I have compiled scripts that allow you to create a table of MBR partitions in eMMC on a regular u-boot loader (it is saved). And then you can freely put the new kernel 4.18 in eMMC, as on a normal HDD \ SSD and work with eMMC as with a normal disk. It is possible to change sections under itself, but with restriction. The first FAT partition must be present and contain the emmc_autoscript system startup utility script. And do not change the partition table, or, if you need to recreate the partition table, perform a special procedure to write it to the eMMC. If you break the procedure, the u-boot in eMMC will be destroyed and will stop working. There is also an installation mode in eMMC of the latest version of u-boot-2018.

Spoiler

Да, правильно. Я собрал скрипты, которые позволяют создать на штатном загрузчике u-boot (он сохраняется) таблицу разделов MBR в eMMC. И после этого можно свободно ставить новое ядро 4.18 в eMMC, как на обычный HDD\SSD и работать с eMMC как с обычным диском. Можно изменять разделы под себя, но с ограничением. Первый раздел FAT должен присутствовать и в нём должен быть служебный скрипт запуска системы emmc_autoscript. И не изменять таблицу разделов, либо, если нужно пересоздать таблицу разделов, выполнять специальную процедуру записи ее в eMMC. Если нарушить процедуру, u-boot в eMMC будет разрушен и перестанет работать. Так же есть режим установки в eMMC последней версии u-boot-2018.

This is good that the project is moving forward:) although I probably since March (as you did a test image with 4k more and not updated-no time :( )

Spoiler

RUS

Это радует, что проект двигается вперед :) хотя я наверно с марта (как ты сделал тестовый имедж с 4k больше и не обновлялся - времени нет :( )

24 minutes ago, Baloven said:

DSH, Armbian images are not intended to be downloaded via USB BT. View the installation order in the previous sections (e.g. here https://forum.armbian.com/topic/2419-armbian-for-amlogic-s905-and-s905x/).

Reveal hidden contents

RUS

Правильно ли я тебя понял, что нашел способ ставить ядра выше 3.14 в NAND?

PS и что с аппаратным декодированием, а то везде тишина :(

It says aml_update.zip file. However,  downloaded file is ....img.xz. Do I select .xz file?

O-Ho-Ho read all the instructions I gave you, and the link to it is in the first message - there is nothing complicated. 
1. first, write the image to a USB or SD card 
2. in Android, run the script you specified 
3. launch ARMBIAN from your device

I'm sorry, I don't see the point in rewriting the entire manual. because there are some features. which there is described

54 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

Read the instructions carefully, these images are only for writing to external media. Installation on the eMMC is performed after the system is properly started from external media.

To do this, you need to build your new kernel.

thanks for reply
any guide or link

I'm really stupid with this

1 hour ago, Baloven said:

PS and that with hardware decoding, and the everywhere silence

Substantial progress. In the test image video version 1080 works via v4l-m2m and ffmpeg. But I do not publish these options yet. Who wants to watch, as this works on S905X, can take my LE-9 for Khadas VIM, and for S905 can find the about assembled by image on forum LE.

Spoiler

Существенный прогресс. В тестовом варианте видео 1080 работает через v4l-m2m и ffmpeg. Но эти варианты я пока не публикую. Кто хочет посмотреть, как это работает на S905X, могу взять мой LE-9 для Khadas VIM, а для S905 могут найти инфу о собранном образе на форуме LE.

3 hours ago, Baloven said:

O-Ho-Ho read all the instructions I gave you, and the link to it is in the first message - there is nothing complicated. 
1. first, write the image to a USB or SD card 
2. in Android, run the script you specified 
3. launch ARMBIAN from your device

I'm sorry, I don't see the point in rewriting the entire manual. because there are some features. which there is described

Finally made it. I was just copying file. I was supposed to flash to SD card.

Now I am able boot into terminal and login. However, seems like desktop GUI part is not working correctly.

First it shows following text then freezes to .

IMG_20180817_181652.thumb.jpg.a00f80e4ff0a329e995e5dd8ae6c031f.jpg

IMG_20180817_181142.thumb.jpg.41a81ca8830310d77f3d3c341f0ed9ea.jpg

This is x96 Mini with s905w.

for wite img use

https://etcher.io/

click select image, choose what you download.

Choose sdram

Click Write it

After

Power on without sdcard on android

go to the good menu ( you can find it on some video or howto ) and lanch the aml script. poweroff

put the sdcard in, power on.

if needed (if it don't boot), in explorer go to sdcard in windows, go to dtb repertory , copy your dtb to the sdcard root (it depand of ypur device) and past it but rename in dtb.img

21 minutes ago, dsh said:

How can I hardware video decoder work? 

I could be wrong, as I don't have that image, but I know the principle of work and we Balbes150 these questions on another forum were discussing. But You don't have to do anything. And to check where decoding is carried out-start the terminal and type the command "top" (without quotes) and enter in it. you will be shown the CPU load. after that, run any video on your desktop. download processare significantly must not be changed.

PS I apologize for the mistakes, I write through a translator.

6 minutes ago, Baloven said:

I could be wrong, as I don't have that image, but I know the principle of work and we Balbes150 these questions on another forum were discussing. But You don't have to do anything. And to check where decoding is carried out-start the terminal and type the command "top" (without quotes) and enter in it. you will be shown the CPU load. after that, run any video on your desktop. download processare significantly must not be changed.

It's definitely decoding by CPU. When I play h264 video cpu usage goes up to 80% and video is dropping lot of frames.  H265 files decoding roughly 1 frames per second :).

Also what's main difference between Kernel 3.14 and 4.x for Amlogic devices?

hmmm this is strange, then wait for response Balbes150 - it is a lot of work spent to work that is hardware decoding.

just in case, please specify which you have the box? processor? this information is primarily needed by Balbes150 and other gurus to help you faster.

1 hour ago, dsh said:

How can I hardware video decoder work? 

On mainline - compile kernel, v4l2 m2m etc. with custom patches or wait when it merge to stable. For 3.14 use kodi. For 3.14(and software decoding in mainline) and x11 - partial solution --vo=x11 and --sws-scaler=fast-bilinear or equal if you don't use mpv.  It cause high cpu usage but give you playable 720p and some 1080p video.  Most problem with mpv - it use by default vo=opengl, it cause huge framedrop(yep, soft mesa) so if you want soft decoding use special flags or vo=x11

upd @Baloven

Spoiler

Ничего, к сожалению это древняя и не искоренимая проблема форумов, каждое утверждение требует повторения иногда пару раз на страницу, или пользователи сами спрашивают одно и то же, что обсуждалось парой постов выше.

files *.dtb after copying to the root of the disk you need to rename to dtb.img if the download does not finish within 5-6 minutes, try another dtb file.

PS the first time it is advisable to try to the dtb file at the root was not.

Doubt, set themselves from CrazyCat - if will not find - write, I have written down somewhere the reference - search for laziness :)

here is the instruction taken from here (https://cesbo.com/wiki/linux/tbs-dvb?s[]=tbs#disable_auto_update_in_ubuntu_1604) should work on boxes as well

Install

Download latest driver:

cd /usr/src git clone --depth=1 https://bitbucket.org/CrazyCat/media_build

Build drivers and install it:

cd /usr/src/media_build ./build make install

Install firmware for DVB adapters

cd /usr/src wget http://www.tbsdtv.com/download/document/linux/tbs-tuner-firmwares_v1.0.tar.bz2 tar jxvf tbs-tuner-firmwares_v1.0.tar.bz2 -C /lib/firmware/

Restart your system

shutdown -r now

After reboot check adapters

ls /dev/dvb

On 8/17/2018 at 4:22 PM, talraash said:

On mainline - compile kernel, v4l2 m2m etc. with custom patches or wait when it merge to stable. For 3.14 use kodi. For 3.14(and software decoding in mainline) and x11 - partial solution --vo=x11 and --sws-scaler=fast-bilinear or equal if you don't use mpv.  It cause high cpu usage but give you playable 720p and some 1080p video.  Most problem with mpv - it use by default vo=opengl, it cause huge framedrop(yep, soft mesa) so if you want soft decoding use special flags or vo=x11

I tried to add the settings file "/etc /mpv.conf "with the parameter "vo=x11" , surprisingly, the video playback has become smoother.  Even at S905 (Vega s95 Telos) when the desktop resolution to 1920x1080, play 1080p video full screen with a small microfriz, but quite watchable. On the S912 (Khadas VIM2) with the same settings and switching MPV to full screen, the video goes smoothly and without brakes. I didn't expect that one option could change the video playback behavior so much.

Thanks for the tip, I'm not an expert on the features of video playback and do not know much.

2 hours ago, balbes150 said:

and switching MPV to full screen

Yep. but it have other "magic" setting if video don't have same resolution as screen or play it in window, we can use fast scaler --sws-scaler=fast-bilinear With software decoding we haven't hw scaler and by default scaler in mpv very demanding of resources..