Armbian for Amlogic S9xxx kernel 5.x


Recommended Posts

Donate and support the project!

Hello @balbes150,

 

I have tried your latest 5.76 with Mali support. H264 video streams are decoded by HW, however, H265 streams are decoded by SW.

 

I have used following command without any parameter.

 

mpv [Video-URL]. In case of H265, do I need to explicitly state HW decoder?

 

Also I have tried building one myself using your script but I can't find where select Mali driver options.

 

Thanks in advance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Xavier31 said:

Yes!
My K2 is ready to test images: I have several SD card so no problem to rewrite them from scratch...

 

Waiting for your images...

1. Copy of the standard u-boot from the working SD card.

 

dd if=/dev/mmcblkXXX of=u-boot_k2.img bs=1M count=4

 

2. Burn the image Armbian for TV Boxing on the SD card.

3. Replace u-boot on the recorded SD card

 

dd if=u-boot_k2.img of=/dev/mmcblk0 conv=fsync bs=1 count=442

dd if=u-boot_k2.img of=/dev/mmcblk0 conv=fsync bs=512 skip=1 seek=1

 

Configure the correct DTB for K2. If you have u-boot-2018\19 , then in the file "/extlinux/extlinux.conf".

If u-boot is different, show its version.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dsh said:

I have tried your latest 5.76 with Mali support. H264 video streams are decoded by HW, however, H265 streams are decoded by SW.

 

I have used following command without any parameter.

 

mpv [Video-URL]. In case of H265, do I need to explicitly state HW decoder?

 

Also there is no audio.

This is a test case, I'm not sure h265 is supported. Look at the list of decoders and try them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

This is a test case, I'm not sure h265 is supported. Look at the list of decoders and try them.

Will do that.

 

Aside from that,

Are we eventually be able to flash directly to emmc by Amlogic burning tool?

Link to post
Share on other sites

A new set of images 5.77_20190407 , used by the kernel 5.1.0-rc1.

 

Pay attention, this is a generic image for the entire line of S9xxx (including for S912 and S905x2).

Enabled by default DTB for Khadas VIM1 (S905X). To run on other models, you need to configure DTB.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I planned to use Armbian_5.75_Nanopik2-s905_Ubuntu_bionic_next_4.19.20_desktop.img to prepare a working SD card and then to grab u-boot from.

But I noticed this image contains only one partition.

Armbian_5.77_Aml-s905_Ubuntu_bionic_default_5.1.0-rc1_desktop_20190407.img image contains two partitions.

 

Is your procedure always applicable in such situation?

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Xavier31 said:

I planned to use Armbian_5.75_Nanopik2-s905_Ubuntu_bionic_next_4.19.20_desktop.img to prepare a working SD card and then to grab u-boot from.

But I noticed this image contains only one partition.

Armbian_5.77_Aml-s905_Ubuntu_bionic_default_5.1.0-rc1_desktop_20190407.img image contains two partitions.

 

Is your procedure always applicable in such situation?

Yes, follow the description. The recovery option is specially made to save the current partition table.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, balbes150 said:

A new set of images 5.77_20190407 , used by the kernel 5.1.0-rc1.

 

Pay attention, this is a generic image for the entire line of S9xxx (including for S912 and S905x2).

Enabled by default DTB for Khadas VIM1 (S905X). To run on other models, you need to configure DTB.

BM8 s912 2Gb meson-gxm-q200.dtb

root@aml-bm8:~# uname -a
Linux aml-bm8 5.1.0-rc1-aml-s905 #5.77 SMP PREEMPT Sun Apr 7 12:55:48 MSK 2019 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

update: T95Z Plus - s912 octacore 3gb ram :thumbup:

Link to post
Share on other sites

I performed following steps:

  1. root@desktop:~# cat Armbian_5.75_Nanopik2-s905_Ubuntu_bionic_next_4.19.20_desktop.img > /dev/sdf

  2. root@desktop:~# dd if=/dev/sdf of=u-boot_k2.img bs=1M count=4

  3. root@desktop:~# cat Armbian_5.77_Aml-s905_Ubuntu_bionic_default_5.1.0-rc1_desktop_20190407.img > /dev/sdf

  4. root@desktop:~# dd if=u-boot_k2.img of=/dev/sdf conv=fsync bs=1 count=442

  5. root@desktop:~# dd if=u-boot_k2.img of=/dev/sdf conv=fsync bs=512 skip=1 seek=1

  6. root@desktop:~# vi extlinux/extlinux.conf

  7. add line:
    FDT /dtb/meson-gxbb-nanopi-k2.dtb

SD card boots perfectly.

 

Below, output of uname -a

Linux aml 5.1.0-rc1-aml-s905 #5.77 SMP PREEMPT Sun Apr 7 12:55:48 MSK 2019 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

 

I noticed this image doesn't contain mali drivers so I don't expect a smooth Kodi GUI...

I will play with it anyway and achieve some tests.

 

If you think about some tests you would like I perform, feel free to ask...

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, balbes150 said:

A new set of images 5.77_20190407 , used by the kernel 5.1.0-rc1.

 

Pay attention, this is a generic image for the entire line of S9xxx (including for S912 and S905x2).

Enabled by default DTB for Khadas VIM1 (S905X). To run on other models, you need to configure DTB.

test images 5.77_20190407 with Beelink GT1 mini , mouse keyboard vidoe, all is good

except : HDMI no sound   no wifi,   any suggest?

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Leon F said:

except : HDMI no sound   no wifi,   any suggest? 

Please note, this is the first test version, it does not work yet sound from HDMI, WiFi and video acceleration HW. Works wired network, USB sound card and USB WiFi. Video in SW mode surprisingly works in up to 1080p inclusive.
 

https://forum.freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/606133-linux-images-for-s802-s805-s812-s905-s905x-s912-sd-usb-emmc?p=768370#post768370

 

 

New image 20190408

 

only changes

add support BT and eMMC for x96 max (s905x2).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Checked work with eMMC of the last variant of an image 20190408 on x96max. eMMC can see,  the ddbr utility creates a full copy. I also checked the installation of the latest version of LibreELEC in eMMC, the system was installed in eMMC without problems and works from eMMC. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Now checked on Odroid C2 an image 5.76 with MALI and a media script, by a technique with replacement of u-boot, as for K2.  :)

Everything works fine. After installing the script, the standard browser began to play video 1080 full screen without brakes. MPV is just as easy to handle any full-screen video. Bonus has an in-house sound via HDMI. There is one caveat when configuring - it is necessary to specify the correct DTB option in the file for Odroid C2  "/extlinux/extlinux conf".

 

For those who don't know. The browser has a special additional link for a quick test of full-screen video. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Checked work with eMMC of the last variant of an image 20190408 on x96max. eMMC can see,  the ddbr utility creates a full copy. I also checked the installation of the latest version of LibreELEC in eMMC, the system was installed in eMMC without problems and works from eMMC. :)

I modified the ethernet dtb for x96max 2GB version, it could boot but there is no driver for ethernet device from dmesg. Could you release the new image for the x96max 2GB version? Thanks

ethernet@ff3f0000 {
				compatible = "amlogic, g12a-eth-dwmac", "snps,dwmac";
				reg = <0x0 0xff3f0000 0x0 0x10000 0x0 0xff634540 0x0 0x8 0x0 0xff64c000 0x0 0xa0>;
				reg-names = "eth_base", "eth_cfg", "eth_pll";
				interrupts = <0x0 0x8 0x1>;
				interrupt-names = "macirq";
				status = "okay";
				clocks = <0x2 0x38>;
				clock-names = "ethclk81";
				pll_val = <0x9c0040a 0x927e0000 0xac5f49e5>;
				analog_val = <0x20200000 0xc000 0x23>;
				pinctrl-names = "external_eth_pins";
				pinctrl-0 = <0x11>;
				mc_val = <0x1621>;
				cali_val = <0x30000>;
				internal_phy = <0x0>;
		};
		external_eth_pins {
			linux,phandle = <0x11>;
			phandle = <0x11>;

			mux {
				groups = "eth_mdio", "eth_mdc", "eth_rgmii_rx_clk", "eth_rx_dv", "eth_rxd0", "eth_rxd1", "eth_rxd2_rgmii", "eth_rxd3_rgmii", "eth_rgmii_tx_clk", "eth_txen", "eth_txd0", "eth_txd1", "eth_txd2_rgmii", "eth_txd3_rgmii";
				function = "eth";
				drive-strength = <0x3>;
			};
		};

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, teridotoji said:

I modified the ethernet dtb for x96max 2GB version, it could boot but there is no driver for ethernet device from dmesg. Could you release the new image for the x96max 2GB version? Thanks

I will try to add it in the next versions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2019 at 8:45 PM, balbes150 said:

Please note, this is the first test version, it does not work yet sound from HDMI, WiFi and video acceleration HW. Works wired network, USB sound card and USB WiFi. Video in SW mode surprisingly works in up to 1080p inclusive.
 

https://forum.freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/606133-linux-images-for-s802-s805-s812-s905-s905x-s912-sd-usb-emmc?p=768370#post768370

 

 

New image 20190408

  

only changes

 add support BT and eMMC for x96 max (s905x2).

I will test the new image on emmc, if it works, i will reply.

 

thanks for your hard work.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there, i have a question regarding the stability of my tv box. I actually use a km8p as a pihole box and every week it crashed and i have to hard reboot it to make it works again. Can someone give me a hint to see where logs can help knows where could be the problem?

 

I was on 5.1 kernel when i got the prob so i reinstall the box from scratch with previous build in 4.20.5 and both got the problem.

 

Last kern.log is just :

 

Apr 11 04:01:29 localhost kernel: [   92.903423] random: 7 urandom warning(s) missed due to ratelimiting

 

Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Peyton said:

Hi there, i have a question regarding the stability of my tv box. I actually use a km8p as a pihole box and every week it crashed and i have to hard reboot it to make it works again. Can someone give me a hint to see where logs can help knows where could be the problem?

 

I was on 5.1 kernel when i got the prob so i reinstall the box from scratch with previous build in 4.20.5 and both got the problem.

 

Last kern.log is just :

 

Apr 11 04:01:29 localhost kernel: [   92.903423] random: 7 urandom warning(s) missed due to ratelimiting

 

Thanks.

Are you using the WiFi or ethernet to connect to the net? Also try a different power brick if you have one, you could have received a bad one.

andrew@km8p1:~$ uptime
22:12:51 up 23 days

andrew@km8p2:~$ uptime
22:13:38 up 47 days
andrew@km8p3:~/Development/Armbian-NG$ uptime
22:14:01 up 47 days

 


 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Uploaded to the website alpha versions of images (Armbian and LibreELEC) with kernel 5.1.0-rc1 for Odroid N2.  :rolleyes:

You have uploaded Armbian s912 5.78.

What are the benefits / improvements over Armbian 5.77?

 

It appears the Kernel has gone from 5.0 to 5.1?

 

Does that mean better Video driver performance?

 

P.S. 5.77 s912 runs great on my Mecool s912 TV box. I use it as my main TV / projector player now utilizing VLC.

 

Thanks for the great work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, AndrewDB said:

Are you using the WiFi or ethernet to connect to the net? Also try a different power brick if you have one, you could have received a bad one.

andrew@km8p1:~$ uptime
22:12:51 up 23 days

andrew@km8p2:~$ uptime
22:13:38 up 47 days
andrew@km8p3:~/Development/Armbian-NG$ uptime
22:14:01 up 47 days

 


 

I don't use WiFi nor BT at all. Only ethernet. Will try with a different power supply. Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.