Going crazy with Orange Pi Zero Plus2 H5

Jozer99

I've had an Orange Pi Zero Plus 2 H5 for a few months, and it is driving me crazy.  

I can easily boot into the useless Android distro included on the eMMC.  I can run most of the distros on the OrangePi website, although they seem to all be missing features or not working 100% in one way or another.  

I would LOVE to run Armbian on this board.  Each time I try, I have huge problems.  My video signal is often garbled or at best full of artifacts.  I get segfaults every few minutes, and it seems like the filesystem is corrupted.  I've tried running it with multiple power supplies (I have several Canakit 2.5amp ones), as well as several different genuine (so far as I can tell) Sandisk 8GB SD cards.  

It seems like there is something wrong with the Armbian images for the Zero Plus2 H5, since I can run the OrangePi distros (with the same cards and power supplies) without these sorts of problems.  I keep seeing online people mentioning successfully running Armbian on the boards, so I am very frustrated.  Can someone help me troubleshoot the problem?  

Well this usually leads to our standard question: have you tried to turn it off and on again :-)   just kidding.

seriously, did you follow these steps ?

And when you have done so and the Orange Pi Zero Plus 2 H5 is running, do: armbianmonitor -u

Yep, I followed the steps in the getting started guide. 

SHA256 hashes from 7-zip match those in the text file.  I use etcher and pass the verify steps with no problems.  I've tried 3 or 4 SD cards, three of them the red/grey Sandisks  (and a PNY I had sitting around).  I've tried 3 different Canakit 2.5 amp power supplies as well as a few non-Canakit 2 amp supplies. 

The funny thing is it seems to run the Orangepi provided distros OK, but these are terrible, out of date software that I don't trust not to have Chinese trojans embedded. 

I cannot run armbianmonitor because on the few occasions I have actually gotten to a prompt, running any command results in a segfault, filesystem error, or just plain lockup, including commands like "ls" and "sudo apt-get update" and "passwd".  Usually when I try to book an armbian flashed SD card, I just get a blank screen. 

Which armbian image did you try?

Did you try to boot without HDMI Monitor? ( connect via serial or SSH)

The Zero Plus2 H5 doenst need much power - did you try to power via a USB-PC-port?

My Zero Plus2 H5 is running stable with armbian debian stretch nightly powered from a usb multi port charger.

Did you try to check your MicroSD cards with some check-program?

I can't boot without HDMI because I don't have the equipment for serial, and I need a monitor to set up wifi for ssh.  My ideal use for this system would be headless and administered by ssh and xrdp if necessary.  Is there a way to pre-configure wifi so I can boot without the monitor?  Keep in mind I'm running Windows so I probably can't mount the file system. 

I tried both the images on the Orange Pi Zero2 Plus (H5) page as of yesterday, as well as a few of the builds from the nightly folder.  Same result with all of them. 

Edited by Jozer99
Forgot info

У меня такая же проблема
armbian_5.58.180813

after Запуск ядра ... Экран станет синим, нет сигнала

os на emmc

установить минимальный рабочий стол - это принципиально

- если вы установите все программное обеспечение - 1366 * 768 - нет

- если вы обновляете - 1366 * 768 - нет 

если на момент запуска ядра ... отсоединить кабель HDMI и подключиться через 3-4 секунды, рабочий стол запущен, изображение

12 minutes ago, Anatolii Kraskovskiy said:

how to make the keyboard and mouse work?

Have you noticed and read the red warning text at login? You are using some old automated image/kernel combo made for testing/developers only.  There is no end-user support for many reasons. One is obvious - why on earth would anyone dig into EOL development kernel, which is full of junk and was never released ...  We don't try to fix development versions on the spot. Issues are collecting, prioritizing and they are eventually fixed.

We are putting all of our efforts to make 4.17.y / 4.18.y up and running.

What is the best for you? Build your own NEXT kernel and hope for the best. Hope. Bugs are present, but perhaps they might not interfere with your use case. 

I understand that these are not stable versions

I do not know how to work with the Linux kernel

on this and I ask the experts how to solve this or that problem

forums have been set up for this

but now on the merits:

if there is a chance to help - tell me

1 armbian_5.58.180813

When you start , each time you have to switch the cable hdmi

there is no sound for hdmi

can not install Gambas 3

2 Armbian_5.42_Orangepizeroplus2-h5_Debian_stretch_dev_4.16.0.img

on debian 8 end 9 , ubuntu 14 and 16 - gambas - is established

dut the mouse and keyboard do not work.

I want to apply this

1 hour ago, Anatolii Kraskovskiy said:

on this and I ask the experts how to solve this or that problem

forums have been set up for this

You are asking questions which are not covered by free support. If we would have paid support this would also no be covered. We explicitly state where possible, that development builds are not supported. You can ask things but expect nobody will give you an answer. Solving problems, which you think they are simple, can perhaps require 100, 500 or 1000 of engineering hours to solve. Any might not go the way you want.

What was developed or what is getting to be developed for Allwinner chips can be found here: https://linux-sunxi.org/Linux_mainlining_effort#Status_Matrix Most of the recent stuff is clearly not on the end user level and require deep understanding to fix something. Even the smallest problem. In the meantime, the main developer (who is/will not do this for the end user but for other motives) can fix the problem or completely change the code ...

5 hours ago, Anatolii Kraskovskiy said:

Armbian_5.42_Orangepizeroplus2-h5_Debian_stretch_dev_4.16.0.img

keyboard input does not work

no mouse control

management only through pyttu

monitor (xdmi) works, the image is displayed

how to make the keyboard and mouse work?

Тебе надо включить usb. Правь /boot/armbianEnv.txt и прописывай в overlays usbhost2 usbhost3 примерно так:

overlays=usbhost2 usbhost3

После этого перегружай. Клавиатура и мышь должны заработать.

English: You have to correct /boot/armbianEnv.txt by adding usb overlays like this:

After that reboot. Keyboard and mouse should work.

2 hours ago, rusatch said:

English: You have to correct /boot/armbianEnv.txt by adding usb overlays like this:

After that reboot. Keyboard and mouse should work.

That would work on stable builds, but 100% won't work on a build @Anatolii Kraskovskiy  is using. Overlay support is completely broken there - we just recently fixed this on 4.17.y and I am not sure it is working properly since I haven't test it yet. We are still preparing this kernel.

13 minutes ago, Igor said:

That would work on stable builds, but 100% won't work on a build @Anatolii Kraskovskiy  is using. Overlay support is completely broken there - we just recently fixed this on 4.17.y and I am not sure it is working properly since I haven't test it yet. We are still preparing this kernel.

There is a chance that he download old image with old dtb package that contains overlays for 4.14 kernel. Anyway i hope that soon we will know results :)

armbian_5.58.180813

все порты работают, я проверил, написал сценарий на python, ttyS2 и ttyUSB0 

установить WiringPiH5 - рабочий

после повторных обновлений появились все режимы отображения

but anyway, with an overload or when you turn on you have to pull the cable in time hdmi

рус - но всё равно , при перегрузки или при включении надо вовремя передёрнуть кабель  

Всем спасибо за участие 

После опробования нескольких сборок, можно сделать вывод - armbian как всегда на высоте 

Конечно есть недостатки. Одни - сними можно смерится, другие - подробность и доступность документации - желательно устранять 

Методики "борьбы" за живучесть, чёткой нет. Linux довольно сложная система, а систематизированная литература не так много (в принципе я не нашёл) (кроме выбора SD карточки и блока питания), а то что есть, не очень соответствует .. Чувствуется, что при создании системы "веселились" все кому не лень (если только хватало мозгов)

А теперь конкретно по плате и ос к ней 

Orange Pi Zero Plus2 H5 очень привлекательная плата (просто то что надо для малых систем контроля и управления), даже малый объем оперативной памяти (по сравнению с смартфонами) не смущает. На ней практически есть всё что надо и самое главное emmc. Что опробовано - работа с ком портом, работа с микрофоном и опознаванием речи.

Из всех сборок на момент лета 2018 года наиболее подходящая 5.38 stabile Debian 9 и 5.38 stabile Ubuntu 14

Причина, почему я задавал вопросы (нет): Нет инструкций, что бы и как подключить, и как обращаться с программным обеспечением 

Почему не было изображения - не запускался рабочий стол - не корректные установки дисплея рабочего стола - автоматическое определение, не все мониторы и телевизоры автоматически могут определятся. Почему не работала клавиатура и мышка - все завязано на идентификацию по дисплею,  а так как идентификация не прошла корректно клавиатура и мыш не заработали