7 7
pcconsult

X96 MAX (S905X2) with Armbian-ubuntu

Recommended Posts

Thanks @balbes150

 

Its seems a hard task!

 

Maybe I wait for someone create a dtb for A95X Max..........or someone send me some links to start....maybe to start in first step....

 

1. get the primary information to create an option for your model

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally “killed” my last tv box on s905x. How does s905x2 feel like in linux? According to synthetic tests, should the power of new soc be sufficient for sw video decoding up to 1080p? Does it make sense to pay a little extra and get boxes on the new soc?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need some help :             (please forgive my english, it isn't my native language; also I'm a total newbie)

I managed installing armbian 5.82 under debian, and it booted, but it won't connect to any network even known I'm plugged in Ethernet to my modem.

I have a H96 Max and I choosed its dtb for the install.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MemoLee51 said:

I need some help :             (please forgive my english, it isn't my native language; also I'm a total newbie)

I managed installing armbian 5.82 under debian, and it booted, but it won't connect to any network even known I'm plugged in Ethernet to my modem.

I have a H96 Max and I choosed its dtb for the install.

 

You could try this

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, amirul said:

You could try this

 

But mines runs a s905x2 , will it work? (sorry if I'm kind of annoying but don't know much about tinkering those things)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, MemoLee51 said:

But mine runs a s905x2 , will it work? (sorry if I'm kind of annoying but don't know much about tinkering those things)

Sorry I read H96 Max from your post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2019 at 12:55 AM, talraash said:

I finally “killed” my last tv box on s905x. How does s905x2 feel like in linux? According to synthetic tests, should the power of new soc be sufficient for sw video decoding up to 1080p? Does it make sense to pay a little extra and get boxes on the new soc?

I have several options for S905X2. Video in MPV up to 1080p works with SW normally. There are small artifacts in the browser at 1080p. Is no support for audio via HDMI (expected within the next month), you need to use a USB sound card. And no support built-in WiFi and BT (need to use USB). If you take, the version with 4 GB of RAM and 1000 LAN port (and I recommend proven models for which there will be support). If there is no hurry, you can wait until the fall, then go new RK, it is more interesting models.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have some dtb file to boot on km9 which use S905X2 SoC or it's not possible ?

 

I received one and it run android 9 on kernel 4. If i can bring you more infos easily i will.

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)

YES!

I have a VANKYO MatrixBox X95 Plus with 2g ram, 32g rom, PCB board is A95XY2_V1.1 and cpu s905y2

Just about the same as A95X plus with 4g of ram.

 

USB BOOT File

Armbian_5.86_Aml-s905_Ubuntu_bionic_default_5.1.0_desktop_20190514.img

 

DTB File
meson-g12a-x96-max-rmii.dtb


Working on s905x2 a95x plus s905y2
In USB1 port blue 3.0

 

Edit uEnv.ini file with dtb_name=/dtb/dtb.img

 

Rename meson-g12a-x96-max-rmii.dtb to dtb.img Copy to dtb folder

 

Boot USB1

Login : root

Pass   : 1234

 

meson-g12a-x96-max-rmii.dtb

Edited by theflashdesign

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)

@theflashdesignI have an s905x2 ( A95X F2 4GB/64GB ) but I keep getting 

footer is wrong signature verification failed error 21

I have tried two different SD cards and five usb thumb drives, two different flash programs (rufus on windows and etcher on mac).
Same error on every single one. Any ideas ?
 

Edited by Haryy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@theflashdesignhello, where is this file Armbian_5.86_Aml-s905_Ubuntu_bionic_default_5.1.0_desktop_20190514.img ?
so I need to burn it to usb and then replace dtb ? thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sol said:

@theflashdesignhello, where is this file Armbian_5.86_Aml-s905_Ubuntu_bionic_default_5.1.0_desktop_20190514.img ?
so I need to burn it to usb and then replace dtb ? thanks

I think this is the link that I used I'm not on my PC right now.  Yes to USB I also flash the aml-update.zip file in Android (don't) check any boxes that say wipe then reboot unplug power hold reset at boot. It worked for my box but no wifi :(

 

https://yadi.sk/d/pHxaRAs-tZiei/5.86/S9xxx/default

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@theflashdesignalright, it boots fine :beer: Though couldn't get network running, checked /etc/network/interfaces tried dhcp and static ip but nothing worked. Even if static ip was assigned couldn't ping my other network devices. Will see more. Thanks for info anyway it's something already!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, sol said:

@theflashdesignalright, it boots fine :beer: Though couldn't get network running, checked /etc/network/interfaces tried dhcp and static ip but nothing worked. Even if static ip was assigned couldn't ping my other network devices. Will see more. Thanks for info anyway it's something already!

NICE I've been really trying to get lakka to run on this box but it fails to boot every time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

installed today successfully on X96 Max

wifi is not working. all other systems working perfect

way performant replacement for the raspberry pi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, podarok said:

installed today successfully on X96 Max

wifi is not working. all other systems working perfect

way performant replacement for the raspberry pi

AP6356S WiFi chip in the 2.4/5Ghz models does work however the system looks for the firmware in the wrong place

 

Copy the firmware from the rkwifi folder to the brcm folder and reboot, wifi should work

 

cp -Rv /lib/firmware/rkwifi/* /lib/firmware/brcm/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, qstaq said:

AP6356S WiFi chip in the 2.4/5Ghz models does work however the system looks for the firmware in the wrong place

 

Copy the firmware from the rkwifi folder to the brcm folder and reboot, wifi should work

 


cp -Rv /lib/firmware/rkwifi/* /lib/firmware/brcm/

 

doesn't work

 

root@aml:~# uname -a

Linux aml 5.2.0-rc7-aml-g12 #5.91 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jul 8 14:07:34 MSK 2019 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, podarok said:

doesn't work

 

root@aml:~# uname -a

Linux aml 5.2.0-rc7-aml-g12 #5.91 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jul 8 14:07:34 MSK 2019 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Can you pot the output of armbianmonitor -u

 

Check your dmesg output, there will be a firmware loading failed line

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You dont seem to have the bcmdhd module loaded

 

Can you "modprobe bcmdhd" then check the output of dmesg

 

You should see something like below or see a firmware load error

[141287.185258] dhd_module_init: in Dongle Host Driver, version 1.579.77.41.9 (r)
[141287.185286] ======== dhd_wlan_init_plat_data ========
[141287.185298] [WLAN_RFKILL]: rockchip_wifi_get_oob_irq: Enter
[141287.185315] dhd_wlan_init_gpio: WL_REG_ON=-1, WL_HOST_WAKE=-1
[141287.185326] dhd_wlan_init_gpio: oob_irq=65, oob_irq_flags=0x414
[141287.185336] dhd_wifi_platform_load: Enter
[141287.185378] Power-up adapter 'DHD generic adapter'
[141287.185782] dummy_sdmmc: probe of mmc2:0001:1 failed with error -110
[141287.186059] dummy_sdmmc: probe of mmc2:0001:2 failed with error -110
[141287.186883] wifi_platform_set_power = 1
[141287.186897] ======== PULL WL_REG_ON(-1) HIGH! ========
[141287.186909] [WLAN_RFKILL]: rockchip_wifi_power: 1
[141287.186921] [WLAN_RFKILL]: wifi turn on power. -1
[141287.489181] wifi_platform_bus_enumerate device present 1
[141287.489193] ======== Card detection to detect SDIO card! ========
[141287.489200] mmc2:mmc host rescan start!


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, qstaq said:

You dont seem to have the bcmdhd module loaded

 

Can you "modprobe bcmdhd" then check the output of dmesg

root@aml:~# modprobe bcmdhd

modprobe: FATAL: Module bcmdhd not found in directory /lib/modules/5.2.0-rc7-aml-g12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, podarok said:

root@aml:~# modprobe bcmdhd

modprobe: FATAL: Module bcmdhd not found in directory /lib/modules/5.2.0-rc7-aml-g12

Strange. Where did you download your armbian image from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, qstaq said:

Strange. Where did you download your armbian image from?

Armbian_5.91_Aml-g12_Ubuntu_disco_default_5.2.0-rc7_20190708.img.xz

from yandex disk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, podarok said:

Armbian_5.91_Aml-g12_Ubuntu_disco_default_5.2.0-rc7_20190708.img.xz

from yandex disk

Is that the 5.91 images from balbes150 unofficial test yandisk repo? If so then yes it is missing the bcmdhd module. You will have to clone balbes s905 kernel repo from github and build the module and / or kernel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, qstaq said:

Is that the 5.91 images from balbes150 unofficial test yandisk repo? If so then yes it is missing the bcmdhd module. You will have to clone balbes s905 kernel repo from github and build the module and / or kernel

Is there any image with this module ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, podarok said:

installed today successfully on X96 Max

wifi is not working. all other systems working perfect

way performant replacement for the raspberry pi

What Android version os your x96max?

 

Mine is android 9 and gives me an verification error in the upgrade.....

 

What version of armbian do you use?

 

Thanks un advance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, X96Maxer said:

What Android version os your x96max?

 

Mine is android 9 and gives me an verification error in the upgrade.....

 

What version of armbian do you use?

 

Thanks un advance

It was version 9. I killed it accidentally

I went to recovery and run TSWP from. Where I was able to flash TSWP as a recovery and then installed armbian from sdcard plus overridden eMMC with armbian
So right now I have no android at all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
On 8/11/2019 at 12:45 PM, podarok said:

It was version 9. I killed it accidentally

I went to recovery and run TSWP from. Where I was able to flash TSWP as a recovery and then installed armbian from sdcard plus overridden eMMC with armbian
So right now I have no android at all

Thanks

 

I'm newbie with tvboxes and armbian.

 

I'm booting with twrp by:

   1. - trying to install the aml_autoscript.zip

   2. - When x96 max reboots gives an error (verification error)

   3.- update from EXT... sdcard TWRP-3.2.2.zip

   4.- The TWRP starts correctly

 

If I try with the button in "AV" then x96 max or "bootloader" from recovery menu.... the system freezes in the first logo (it appears that there is not a bootloader ¿?)

 

and have downloaded a lot of armbians from https://yadi.sk/d/pHxaRAs-tZiei

 

I can copy to sdcard with balena etcher but never starts.... and can't locate an option to boot from sdcard.

 

I copied in other sdcard (fat32) the full image ( Armbian_5.91_Aml-g12_Debian_buster_default_5.2.1_20190802.img for example) and locate the restore option in twrp ..... very scared I click in "restore boot" but error message received ".... file size not match... " or something like.

 

I don't need android in the x96max.... if armbian runs with ethernet (¿wifi runs?).. I would prefer dual boot but if no chance I can live without android.

The ubuntu disco version is good for me (can I try with desktop if the process is repeatable)

 

So, please, say to me:

    How do you flash twrp as a recovery?

    How do you intalled armbian from sdcard?

    How "overridden eMMC with armbian"?

 

thanks in advance

 

 

I have got It! I don't know how but playing with twrp, another versión images and diferent muktiboot zips.....  It starts from sdcard the Ubuntu with and without desktop!!!!!

 

now to try with wifi ......

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by X96Maxer
I have got It

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
7 7