Bad ARM64 Magic

MikeDK

Hi!

I have the problem that when I try to boot with any Kernel other than 4.4.x, U-boot gives me the "Bad ARM64 Image Magic" Error and stops booting.

I can build my own 4.4 Kernels without any problem, those will boot fine.

But If I try any newer kernel, for example a NEXT Kernel (package linux-image-next-rockchip), or a DEV Kernel (package linux-image-dev-rockchip), or even if I compile my own 5.3 Kernel, a boot attempt always results in the Bad Magic error.

I also have this problem when I install a whole 5.3 Armbian Image (for example https://dl.armbian.com/rockpro64/Buster_current_desktop)

I have three RK3399-based boards: 1.) NanoPi M4, 2.) RockPi 4B, and 3.) RockPro64 .... And the problem is with all of them ...

Any Ideas? Do I need a newer U-Boot? And where to get that for RK3399 based boards? Even Ayufan packages use 2017.09 ...

Regards,

MikeDK

26 minutes ago, Igor said:

With our build tools?

nope, just make menuconfig && make ... this works for a 4.4. kernel, but not 4.18 or 5.x ...

I am not familiar with the armbian build tools - as far as I understood, I can only do a build of a complete armbian image and not being able to only compile kernel?

Besides that, the fact I am not using the armbian build tools does not explain why I get the ARM64 image magic error when trying to use a 5.x kernel package from the armbian repo...

Also, theoretically, a kernel build from ayufan should work too, isn't it?

Regards,

MikeDK

23 minutes ago, MikeDK said:

I am not familiar with the armbian build tools - as far as I understood, I can only do a build of a complete armbian image and not being able to only compile kernel?

You can build any component you like. A kernel, u-boot, complete image in this and that flavour. You can even start your own distribution. If you want to build kernel that works, use our build tools. Support for this hardware is only in 4.4.y and some starting around 5+. Building any other version for this hardware is pure waste of time.

28 minutes ago, MikeDK said:

does not explain why

Why you get this error? I don't exactly remember. Since Armbian kernel doesn't throw this error means its solved with a patch or a script. I don't know without investigation. ARM boards needs some special touches sometimes and vanilla kernel building might not just work out of the box. Sometimes you need right compiler too. We are on the path to get there some day.

29 minutes ago, MikeDK said:

Also, theoretically, a kernel build from ayufan should work too, isn't it?

Yes, but not necessarily. A workaround could be implemented inside boot script, u-boot (environment), ...