Building for orangepi5 kernel 6.6.rc1

markbox

We have 6.6.rc1 kernel installed using Armbian_23.11.0-trunk.105_Orangepi5_jammy_edge_6.6.0-rc1_xfce_desktop.img.xz. I've also installed the Armbian Linux edge headers 6.6.0-rc1-edge-rockchip-rk3588 (linux-headers-edge-rockchip-rk3588    23.11.0-trunk.107). I am able to compile externel kernel modules. I would like to get the kernel source for the 6.6.rc1 kernel.

I have cloned the main branch using:

git clone --branch=main https://github.com/armbian/build

And used the menu system by running compile.sh to select orangepi5 and other options. When it started building I could tell right away it was not working towards the 6.6.rc1 kernel. What combination of options do I need to built the 6.6.rc1 kernel based content?

/compile.sh BOARD=orangepi5 BRANCH=??? BUILD_ONLY=kernel RELEASE=jammy KERNEL_CONFIGURE=no

What value should be used for BRANCH= in the above?

I'm not even sure I've got the correct git repo. Do I clone --branch=main or something else?

Thanks for reading.

~Mark

P.S. Some system details:

Host: Orange Pi 5
Kernel: 6.6.0-rc1-edge-rockchip-rk3588

1 hour ago, markbox said:

We have 6.6.rc1 kernel installed using Armbian_23.11.0-trunk.105_Orangepi5_jammy_edge_6.6.0-rc1_xfce_desktop.img.xz. I've also installed the Armbian Linux edge headers 6.6.0-rc1-edge-rockchip-rk3588 (linux-headers-edge-rockchip-rk3588    23.11.0-trunk.107). I am able to compile externel kernel modules. I would like to get the kernel source for the 6.6.rc1 kernel.

Dear Mark.

You are using unsupported kernel, which is fragile and very expensive to support and we have very negative budget to assist you. This is open source and not a single information you are asking for is hidden. If you need guidance, we can sell it to you, but if you can't cover time we will lost to gain nothing, you need to use your own. 

Topic was moved from supported area as what you are asking is simply not supported. This way we limit damages you are making to us.

10 hours ago, markbox said:

Armbian_23.11.0-trunk.105_Orangepi5_jammy_edge_6.6.0-rc1_xfce_desktop.img.xz

In your current build, 'edge' is the build name is the branch you are using.  main is the correct build environment to pull.

Depending on what your are trying to do, you probably need to spend some time learning the build system to understand how it works in order to accomplish your goals.  Your questions are very basic and come across as you haven't done your homework in reading the documentation and learning the build system.

As you can probably tell from igor's response, Armbian survives on very few contributing developers who don't generally have time the hand hold newbies.  I don't know your situation, and am just reacting to the limited information at hand in this one post.

I appreciate what you both have said and understand. It was a rushed post at the end of a very long day. I have used the build system for two different 5.10.x kernels in the past but the same techniques were not working for this very new distribution. I will seek out and re-read the documentation.