New OPi Zero - Yet another high temperature issue...

bozden

On 9/24/2017 at 11:17 PM, prisma said:

I would recommend no one to buy a Zero currently.

How are we doing at this moment, referring to the newer OPi Zero LTS

It states " low running temperature and low power consumption. ", but ... ... ?

Anyway my goal is to run domoticz, which will be connected to my smart meter in the meter cupboard

On 11/29/2019 at 4:23 AM, dolphs said:

How are we doing at this moment, referring to the newer OPi Zero LTS

It states " low running temperature and low power consumption. ", but ... ... ?

Anyway my goal is to run domoticz, which will be connected to my smart meter in the meter cupboard

So, I just got mine a few days ago. It's the OPi Zero LTS 512mb version. The board states it's v1.5.

I have it running Pi Hole with around 2 million blocked hosts and it's around 20C. Before installing anything (PiHole), even with passive heating it was well below 10C (Only had Armbian). I'd say it's pretty good. Max I have seen it hit under some load is 33C.

Edit 1: I just installed a heat sink and can already see the temperatures are lower than before.  With heatsinks I'm now at around 13C and don't go over 26C when it's under load. Pi Hole isn't super intensive on the CPU anyway but still. 

Edit 2: I think it's also worth mentioning I have mine in a case. 

5 hours ago, citium said:

So, I just got mine a few days ago. It's the OPi Zero LTS 512mb version. The board states it's v1.5.

I have it running Pi Hole with around 2 million blocked hosts and it's around 20C. Before installing anything, even with passive heating it was well below 10C. I'd say it's pretty good. Max I have seen it hit under some load is 33C. I just installed a heat sink and can already see the temperatures are lower than before.  With heatsinks I'm now at around 13C and don't go over 26C when it's under load. Pi Hole isn't super intensive on the CPU anyway but still. 

Edit: I think it's also worth mentioning I have mine in a case. 

Edit 2: I am going to install PIVPN today and set up remote access to it via xrdp and will see how it goes with temperatures. Once I get home, I will post a temp log. 

Below 10C? Around 13C?  What's Ambient, 0C?  You keep this outdoors, in the Arctic? :huh:

Could it be 

9 hours ago, richardk said:

Below 10C? Around 13C?  What's Ambient, 0C?  You keep this outdoors, in the Arctic? :huh:

Here you go. I also couldn't believe it. Maybe the sensor is faulty? I live in Russia and the temperature is 0C outside. Room temperature is around 26ish.  Also, I edited my post to make things more understandable. I was at around 10C when only Armbian was installed (no heatsink). Then once PiHole was up, I hit around 20C (still no heatsink installed). Then I installed the heatsink and went down to around 13C from 20C.  As I previously stated, mine is indoors.

Annotation 2019-12-06 215844.jpg

I can confirm that new Orange Pi Zero LTS H2+ has SoC temperature reading faulty. I just swap OPi version 1.4 with LTS one and temperature "dropped" from 52 degrees to 10 and then slowly reached cca 18 degrees, which is really hard to believe. I'm suspicious that Xunlong simply adjusted firmware get better results...

OPiZeroSwap.PNG

OPiZeroSwap2.PNG

Edited by Bororo
Additiona picture inserted

On 1/12/2020 at 11:16 AM, Bororo said:

that's what i'm saying - SoC temperature reading in new model is inaccurate.

Figured as much, looks like they are indeed messing with something to make it look like temperatures are less. Don't have an infrared thermometer to test temps at the moment though. I'll try and get one soon.

On 1/11/2020 at 5:56 AM, martinayotte said:

How can temperature of SoC been lower than ambient temperature ?

Hehe - when the sensor is not connected...

On my current project - old code fitted on to a new SOC - it always reports -273C for temp ;)