Orange Pi Zero Plus 2 H5 XWindows won't load

I understand I'm working with an experimental build...just breaking stuff to learn...

Is Xwindows a complete no-go on the current Xenial build? What have you done to get X to load? I installed using the following commands:

sudo apt-get update 
sudo apt-get upgrade
{at this point I had to do some finagling to get wlan0 to work again...thanks again @martinayotte!}
sudo aptitude install xserver-xorg-core
sudo aptitude install xserver-xorg
sudo aptitude install xorg openbox
sudo aptitude install ubuntu-desktop

After the install, I ran "startx" and it bombed.

xinit: giving up

xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused

xinit: server error

Attaching Xorg.0.log for reference. I'm still unfamiliar with the eccentricities of X, so please forgive my ignorance.

Thanks in advance!

Xorg.0.log

There is no way to run Unity desktop on those boards due to video driver limitations while you should be able to run mate, xfce, lxde or similar.

DUDE! Bad@$$! Thanks! I'll try it out tonight!

I'm still curious why the other one didn't work, though. I would like to improve my knowledge on these things. Was there something I could have done to fix it, or was the issue so integral to the build that I would have literally had to rebuild it from the ground up like you did?

4 hours ago, Richard Fortuna said:

Word to the wise: Firefox maxes out the RAM and WILL freeze your Pi. Midori runs GREAT though!

Firefox arm64 is known to crash, so we used to add arm32 version which works, but the fastest is supplied Chromium. Midori is also good choice since its light.

On 8. 6. 2017 at 7:14 AM, Igor said:

I made you a desktop build - it works for me, wireless works, the rest I haven't test:

https://dl.armbian.com/orangepizeroplus2-h5/archive/Armbian_5.27_Orangepizeroplus2-h5_Ubuntu_xenial_dev_4.11.1_desktop.7z

Hello,

I'm trying to build my own build for zeroplus2-h5 with desktop enviroment, since your build lacks the hid_multitouch module I need. I managed to succesfully build it with the kernel module, but i can't get the desktop to run. I'm using the BUILD_DESKTOP=yes flag. I also tried to manually download the xfce4, but it crashes with "no screens found".

What am I doing wrong?

47 minutes ago, Martin Kubásek said:

I'm using the BUILD_DESKTOP=yes flag.

After a long discussion in other thread this board (H5 variant) was configured as CLI only so you can't build a desktop image for it. You can either build a server image and install all necessary packages manually or you can manually install a new kernel on top of the older desktop build.

12 minutes ago, Martin Kubásek said:

Do I need any other packages than xfce and icon packs?

There is a big list of desktop packages (though not all of them are required), some additional configuration files (themes, desktop icons, window manager preferences) and some tweaks to installed packages. You can check build script files  lib/configuration.sh and lib/desktop.sh for details.

14 minutes ago, Martin Kubásek said:

I toggled compiling the ARM Mali display driver in build but it still can't find the output display.

There is no such option in the build script and there is no Mali support for H5 in Armbian. Though Mali is not required to get a working display output.