hin246ho

Odroid C0/C1/C1+ - please update the mainline kernel version

There are updates in the most recent mainline kernel about the Odroid C0/C1/C1+ board:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/log/?h=v4.20&qt=grep&q=odroid

The armbian image with the mainline kernel have not been updated. Could you please update it? I would like to use it.

You can officially drop the outdated version with the kernel 3.10. The Kernel 3.10 is not supported any more and have ton of security issues that wont get fixed.

Only the mainline kernel is interesting and worth upgrading to latest kernel.

Thanks

Hi all,

new armbian user and old Odroid C1 user here :)

After seeing some mainline development on Odroid C1 I started tinkering with armbian build system.

Actually I tried building latest armbian master (Armbian_5.71_Odroidc1_Debian_stretch_next_4.19.15.img) and Odroid C1 is not booting (well... it is probably booting... more details later :)).

Same SD with latest release from armbian developers (Armbian_5.59_Odroidc1_Debian_stretch_next_4.18.1.img) is indeed working fine.

This is observed behaviour with Armbian_5.71_Odroidc1_Debian_stretch_next_4.19.15.img:

• all lights on SBC blink as expected
  • network plug light blinks as expected
  • attached USB HD lights blink (so it seems it is read) and I clearly hear HDD heads moving around
  • no network is accessible (my router is not giving a new IP :()

So... from what I can see and observe the image built on my system (using provided Vagrant file) is booting but I cannot access it using network.

I do not have a UART cable to inspect console :(

Can anyone give me some hints?

Meson 8b support by mainline is a very welcome news and kernel 4.19 and 4.20 show some big improvements.

FYI I tried even to compile 4.20 and 5.0-rc1 (changing conf files and some patches) but result is always the same: booting (probably) but no network via dhcp.

I can provide build logs but, from my eyes, nothing wrong is happening (kernel patching is ok, build is ok, no warning and no erroors).

Hope you can understand my willing to help and my need for help and hints to fix it :)

Thanks fro your work

Bye

Piero

1 hour ago, martinayotte said:

If you purchase one, they are so cheap, it will help a lot ...

Hi,

I cannot find one for less than 30€ delivered at home (Italy)... with some more money I can buy a NanoPi Neo4 or some other supported board :D

19 minutes ago, Igor said:

For Odroid it won't be this cheap :( but still

I don't have any Odroid, so what is the difference with their debug serial port ?

EDIT : I've just looked at the C1+ schematic, and serial seems to be as simple as usual ...

12 hours ago, ottuzzi said:

I do not have a UART cable to inspect console :(

Alternatively, you could use a usb to ethernet connector, this would give you network (my user build next works just fine and boots - I just did it today).

Hi all,

thanks for all responses :)

You showed me many UART adapter and looking for them in amazon.it I can find them for an affordable price (less than 10€): I'm ordering one of them and I'll come back here with something more useful.

Thanks

Piero