Lamobo-r1 b53 switch not working with newer kernels

Angelo Calvão

I know Lamobo-r1 has many problems and that the support ended, but it works fine for me. Everything works fine with kernel 4.14.84-sunxi, however,  when I update the kernel, the b53 switch does not work anymore. I need to update the kernel to add another wifi usb dongle that seems to work only with newer kernels (https://github.com/aircrack-ng/rtl8812au/issues/272#issuecomment-467983704). Anybody experiencing the same problem? Any ideas for a workaround?

Hi,

I'll get access to my R1 again in a few days, so ATM I can't test your issue (it has old Bananian version, I'll switch to Armbian).

But I would like to ask if you could do test the SATA write performance in recent/latest Armbian version.

Ie. the result of the following. It creates a 1 GB testfile and measures the performance:

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

cd /mnt/
time sh -c "dd if=/dev/zero of=testfile bs=16k count=64k conv=sync" 
rm testfile

Thx

Edited by mutluit
fix

On 2/28/2019 at 2:31 AM, Angelo Calvão said:

I know Lamobo-r1 has many problems and that the support ended, but it works fine for me. Everything works fine with kernel 4.14.84-sunxi, however,  when I update the kernel, the b53 switch does not work anymore. I need to update the kernel to add another wifi usb dongle that seems to work only with newer kernels (https://github.com/aircrack-ng/rtl8812au/issues/272#issuecomment-467983704). Anybody experiencing the same problem? Any ideas for a workaround?

Hej Angelo which release did you install? since I also would like to run my r1 and not through it away. I installed Xenial_next and it seems to run well except that after some hours the ethernet just seems to stop working its not a fixed time at least I didnt find any yet but its after 3+ hours and before that it seems to work fine ... everthing seems to work even with and sata disk in it

So i was wondering what version you run so that I might install yours and see if it hast something to do with the OS as I dont think its the power supply since I tested many and the issue is allways the same also the powerlevels in the /sys/power/axp_pmu dir look ok so this is a strange issue to me :/

would be happy for some input :thumbup:

I am using this: "Welcome to ARMBIAN 5.31 stable Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie) 4.14.84-sunxi".

It works flawless, but I can't update the kernel because of the ethernet. Since I am not an expert, I don't know the issue, everything seems to be recognized on newer kernels but I can't make it work.

On 6/15/2019 at 3:09 AM, Angelo Calvão said:

I am using this: "Welcome to ARMBIAN 5.31 stable Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie) 4.14.84-sunxi".

It works flawless, but I can't update the kernel because of the ethernet. Since I am not an expert, I don't know the issue, everything seems to be recognized on newer kernels but I can't make it work.

What exactly is the problem? Would you paste the content of /etc/network/interfaces

On 6/16/2019 at 4:54 PM, Velociraptor said:

What exactly is the problem? Would you paste the content of /etc/network/interfaces

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0.101
iface eth0.101 inet manual  
   pre-up ip link add br53125 type bridge
   pre-up ip link set wan master br53125
   pre-up bridge vlan add vid 101 dev wan pvid untagged
   pre-up bridge vlan del vid 1 dev wan
   pre-up ip link set wan up
   post-down ip link set wan down
   post-down ip link del dev eth0.101

auto eth0.102
iface eth0.102 inet manual
   pre-up ip link set lan1 master br53125
   pre-up ip link set lan2 master br53125
   pre-up ip link set lan3 master br53125
   pre-up ip link set lan4 master br53125
   pre-up bridge vlan add vid 102 dev lan1 pvid untagged
   pre-up bridge vlan del vid 1 dev lan1
   pre-up ip link set lan1 up
   pre-up bridge vlan add vid 102 dev lan2 pvid untagged
   pre-up bridge vlan del vid 1 dev lan2
   pre-up ip link set lan2 up
   pre-up bridge vlan add vid 102 dev lan3 pvid untagged
   pre-up bridge vlan del vid 1 dev lan3
   pre-up ip link set lan3 up
   pre-up bridge vlan add vid 102 dev lan4 pvid untagged
   pre-up bridge vlan del vid 1 dev lan4
   pre-up ip link set lan4 up
   post-down ip link set lan4 down
   post-down ip link set lan3 down
   post-down ip link set lan2 down
   post-down ip link set lan1 down
   post-down ip link del dev br53125
   post-down ip link del dev eth0.102

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual

iface wlan1 inet static
   address 192.168.0.1/24

auto br0
iface br0 inet static
   bridge_ports eth0.102 wlan0
   address 10.0.0.1/24

auto br1
iface br1 inet dhcp  
   bridge_ports eth0.101

auto dsl-provider
iface dsl-provider inet ppp
provider dsl-provider

I am not an expert, don't know for sure what is happening. When I update the kernel, everything seems to be working fine, the devices are recognized, but nothing works, like ppp connection and the switch. I guess there were a change in the switch driver on newer kernels? But I don't know what to change on my configs to make it work again...

35 minutes ago, chwe said:

maybe that we just trashed the configs for it?

I don't think so. You refer to the time before DSA, but his config file above has the shape of DSA

1 hour ago, Tido said:

but his config file above has the shape of DSA 

Were those BCM chips under DSA in 4.14? If he only updates from a 4.14 to a different 4.14 nothing should happen.. If he updates to 4.19, it's likely that you've to ensure that this stuff is loaded:

https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/2e3a338d481b1637b7ff55d52e43612791e6d23a/config/kernel/linux-sunxi-next.config#L2069-L2073

maybe check the DT once again.. and probably mess around with network config.. DSA doesn't like NM that much.. :D I would go for NetworkD for the beginning..

11 hours ago, chwe said:

Were those BCM chips under DSA in 4.14?

If you look at my document:  You will download and install a fresh armbian 5.25 Kernel 4.9.x  on your SDcard (based on Debian 8 Jessie),

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DH8AXCHqUYI6J4L4ujt20aI9BNrYxsWtcthWZEJx8Xs/edit

11 hours ago, chwe said:

DSA doesn't like NM that much

Disable network manager (permanently) to avoid it restarting after a reboot

systemctl disable NetworkManager.service

was also part of my document, however, I haven't tested it since then, but lately I put power back on my R1. It is still on of my goal to have it running to store and spread media files and with the increased SATA speed .. bazinga !

Indeed, It is a DSA config. I can't really make many tests, because this SBC is the router been used on my house for everything. I have made the wifi hack, I desoldered the buggy original wifi card and soldered a nice and compatible one, and I have a sata HD that works, with no power problems even powering by usb. If somebody figures out how to change the configs to work on newer kernels, let me know.

On 2/28/2019 at 2:31 AM, Angelo Calvão said:

when I update the kernel, the b53 switch does not work anymore.

this   and as ChWe pointed out this:

On 6/21/2019 at 9:44 PM, chwe said:

If he updates to 4.19, it's likely that you've to ensure that this stuff is loaded:

https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/2e3a338d481b1637b7ff55d52e43612791e6d23a/config/kernel/linux-sunxi-next.config#L2069-L2073

the 'm' there sound to me like 'manually' or no longer part of the build, so you miss the driver for  CONFIG_B53=m.   @Igor can you confirm or correct my assumption?

11 hours ago, Igor said:

for this hw with 4.19.y or 5.1.y

This is really nice that you are asking, but no, my last tests were on 4.9 & 4.11 

Let me take this to ask some questions because I conceive a desire to do the CSC for a long time. Since the improvement of h264 (bootlin's kickstarter) and the SATA speed increase even more.

However, you know the R1 needs special configuration files for networking. This can be done like the guys have done in this thread within  /etc/network/interfaces  , but I was going another way by making use of:

/etc/network/if-pre-up.d/dsa   -  to activate the switch (VLAN & Bridge)

/etc/network/if-down.d/dsadown  -  to shut down the switch (VLAN & Bridge)

/etc/network/if-post-down.d/dsadel  -  delete the links

/etc/default/isc-dhcp-server  -  to handle clients

/etc/network/interfaces  -  IP-Address range and such

/etc/default/hostapd  -  configure WLAN device

I don't know if this is state of the art  anymore?  This approach gave me a clearer understanding than keeping everything in one file  like  /etc/network/interfaces.

And the final the question, is it possible with the current armbian tools to pimp the config-files in such a way for just the R1 or would I have to write a scipt .sh  that would do all that magic after the install executed from the user with root permission?

Follow up, would the applied changes by the script get broken with every regular update?

Optional, but nice to have - a little  iptables  configuration for security.

1 hour ago, Tido said:

is it possible with the current armbian tools to pimp the config-files in such a way for just the R1

Yes. We "just" need a working startup configuration in ifupdown, systemd or with network manager. Whatever. I made an image the other day, just for test and currently you don't have any network connection out of the box ... one can connect to WiFi with one of most rubbish adaptors out there. I do have no interest to dig into this, but I saw people are still trying/hope to use this board with recent kernels.

23 hours ago, Igor said:

Yes. We "just" need a working startup configuration in ifupdown, systemd or with network manager.

I am not happy with just, I would target an armbian with working router configuration, hence my questions above. 

You asked about 5.1, now as there is no downloadable image and 5.2 was just released with:  multiple SoCs:  Lima; Panfrost  I would focus on this Kernel. While keeping stress low, focusing on server-version only for a starter.

Another thought crossed my mind:

To get my configuration in as mentioned above - and I don't want to disort current armbian tools - would this  FAT partition of @botfap   talking once, be a thing?

I never read about the network-manager configuration, but it was complicated enough to get  DSA  going without it, so, first thing I usually disable the network-manager.

5 hours ago, Tido said:

You asked about 5.1, now as there is no downloadable image and 5.2 was just released with:  multiple SoCs:  Lima; Panfrost  I would focus on this Kernel. While keeping stress low, focusing on server-version only for a starter.

4.19 - 5.1 - 5.2. or up is pretty irrelevant for this hardware. There will be video acceleration and 3D in 5.2+, but let's have the most basic (network) functionality first. You have to start playing around with self-made DEV image, which is 5.1.y ATM. 4.19.y is also good enough since there are probably no changes around this functionality.

Network manager can(should) be disabled or masked as we do it for Espressobin.

Why do you want to complicate life with FAT partition to get this device working? There was no development in that direction.