pkfox

M4 Died

One of my boards gave up today - I was just connecting the SATA power cable to the hat and no leds came on - no sound or smoke just nothing - I tried several times to re power it and all I saw on a couple of occasions was a very faint flicker of the leds -so I guess it's dead.

If you connect your board (only) to a PC through an USB cable, do you see an USB connection ? (lsusb or Windows Device manager)

9 hours ago, Tido said:

What else have you tried, different cable, power supply ?

Yes tried all the usual suspects

6 hours ago, NicoD said:

Are you powering the board with the hat?
Have you tried powering with usb-C? Or with the gpio's?
Without the sata hat?

Hi Nico, yes I was powering via the hat, I've tried powering via USB but not the pins - I wouldn't know how

4 hours ago, chwe said:

T4usb2serialport.jpg

there's your first point to check if your board is still alive (there should be also an debug uart on the m4).

The M4 needs separate power using UART lead so I'm stuffed with that

5 hours ago, Myy said:

If you connect your board (only) to a PC through an USB cable, do you see an USB connection ? (lsusb or Windows Device manager)

Not tried that

3 minutes ago, pkfox said:

The M4 needs separate power using UART lead so I'm stuffed with that

normally just power it the normal way and only connect GND, RX and TX works quite well for accessing the debug UART...

11 hours ago, chwe said:

normally just power it the normal way and only connect GND, RX and TX works quite well for accessing the debug UART...

11 hours ago, chwe said:

The problem is I can't power it the normal way it won't accept power

6 hours ago, martinayotte said:

And what is the alternative way that make it works ?

6 hours ago, martinayotte said:

That's my point - nothing makes it work - it's dead

11 hours ago, pkfox said:

18 hours ago, martinayotte said:

That's my point - nothing makes it work - it's dead 

and what's the exact point of this discussion?

so, reason behind using uart instead of HDMI etc. is that uart is 'a way more talky' in case things don't work properly anymore.. whereas initialization of HDMI needs more things properly working.

If there's no light while powered then I believe it's dead.
If you did try another cable, psu, sd-card, os, measure voltage from psu, from usb ports?
Then you're going to have to contact your seller or  sales at friendlyarm dot com.

17 hours ago, chwe said:

so, reason behind using uart instead of HDMI etc. is that uart is 'a way more talky' in case things don't work properly anymore.. whereas initialization of HDMI needs more things properly working.

The point of the discussion is to ascertain whether the board is truly dead - which I believe it is

10 hours ago, NicoD said:

If there's no light while powered then I believe it's dead.
If you did try another cable, psu, sd-card, os, measure voltage from psu, from usb ports?
Then you're going to have to contact your seller or  sales at friendlyarm dot com.

Yes I agree Nico - I bought two of these , one from friendly direct and one from Amazon and I don't know which one is which - I don't suppose it matters as it's all from them originally

44 minutes ago, pkfox said:
17 hours ago, chwe said:

The point of the discussion is to ascertain whether the board is truly dead - which I believe it is

and that's the point.. using a volt-meter to see if power is still on the important powerlines lines with your normal powering setup.. in case yes.. connect the UART and look if you get an output.. in case the main powerrails are dead.. the board is for sure dead as well..

1 hour ago, chwe said:

and that's the point.. using a volt-meter to see if power is still on the important powerlines lines with your normal powering setup.. in case yes.. connect the UART and look if you get an output.. in case the main powerrails are dead.. the board is for sure dead as well..

Thanks for the info I'm pretty sure it's dead and I've just sent an email to FriendlyElec - will keep you all posted