/boot/armbianEnv.txt vs build/config/bootenv/rockchip.txt

kentAVR

Hello!

I follow instruction

"Add names of overlays you want to activate to overlays= line in /boot/armbianEnv.txt"

I try to find /boot/armbianEnv.txt but nothing.

I see Build tools overview from https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/fcb8b6f195bbb76c83c612c425fdf08cfd48c68b/README.md

And nothing about /boot/armbianEnv.txt

May be documentation talking about build/config/bootenvrockchip.txt and  build/config/zynq.txt and others txt files in build/config/ ?

It looks like /boot/armbianEnv.txt is file on microSD after I burn armbian image on it. But reading docs I don't understand nothing about build/config/bootenv/rockchip.txt 

bootenv.png

• kentAVR changed the title to /boot/armbianEnv.txt vs build/config/bootenv/rockchip.txt
6 hours ago, kentAVR said:

May be documentation talking about build/config/bootenvrockchip.txt and  build/config/zynq.txt and others txt files in build/config/ ?

Xunlong / Orangepi forked our build system and adjusted upon their needs & ideas. Documentations for their fork is different in several areas - that's all I know about.

6 hours ago, kentAVR said:

But reading docs I don't understand nothing about build/config/bootenv/rockchip.txt 

Those are converted to /boot/armbianEnv.txt in the build process and some parameters are added there if needed. Also in firstrun runtime if defined that way.

19 hours ago, Igor said:

Xunlong / Orangepi forked our build system and adjusted upon their needs & ideas. Documentations for their fork is different in several areas - that's all I know about.

Those are converted to /boot/armbianEnv.txt in the build process and some parameters are added there if needed. Also in firstrun runtime if defined that way.

So in armbian docs need add something like

"If you want change /boot/armbianEnv.txt you should use build/config/bootenv/LINUXFAMILY.txt. For example if you use Orange Pi 4 you need use build/config/bootenv/rockchip.txt"

I try to understand why U-Boot ignore my /boot/armbianEnv.txt I try to set bootdelay=-2

1) I use google and people talking about another filename: uEnv.txt not armbianEnv.txt

So how U-Boot knows about /boot/armbianEnv.txt ? There is no "/boot/armbianEnv.txt" in U-Boot source code... I try to make uEnv.txt by myself...

2) Is /boot/armbianEnv.txt  need to be placed in FAT volume? I build .img for my Orange Pi 4  /boot/armbianEnv.txt and another are in some volume...

boot.png

Orange Pi 4_U-Boot.log

32 minutes ago, kentAVR said:

So how U-Boot knows about /boot/armbianEnv.txt ? There is no "/boot/armbianEnv.txt" in U-Boot source code...

If you look at /boot/boot.cmd (which then compiled into /boot/boot.scr), there is a line where /boot/armbianEnv.txt is loaded in memory and then "env import" is executed ...

1 hour ago, kentAVR said:

"If you want change /boot/armbianEnv.txt you should use build/config/bootenv/LINUXFAMILY.txt. For example if you use Orange Pi 4 you need use build/config/bootenv/rockchip.txt"

No. "rockchip.txt" defaults are automatically used if you build Orangepi 4. Defaults were not meant to be user changeable, but you can change them this generic way while building image or manually on the board.

I use google and people talking about another filename: uEnv.txt not armbianEnv.txt

This is the same. Just u-boot, which is not Armbian - we only use it for our needs, you will not learn just in one year ... you will find many different approaches and implementations, many versions and hacks to the u-boot in the wild. Which leads to - not simple to answer.

need to be placed in FAT volume?

Isn't FAT something related to Windows?!?! :rolleyes: No, there is no need for a FAT filesystem.

On 7/5/2021 at 7:13 PM, Igor said:

No. "rockchip.txt" defaults are automatically used if you build Orangepi 4. Defaults were not meant to be user changeable, but you can change them this generic way while building image or manually on the board.

This is the same. Just u-boot, which is not Armbian - we only use it for our needs, you will not learn just in one year ... you will find many different approaches and implementations, many versions and hacks to the u-boot in the wild. Which leads to - not simple to answer.

Isn't FAT something related to Windows?!?! :rolleyes: No, there is no need for a FAT filesystem.

I want verify that U-Boot use rockchip.txt in my case. Since I run

./compile.sh  BOARD=orangepi4 BRANCH=current RELEASE=hirsute BUILD_MINIMAL=no BUILD_DESKTOP=yes KERNEL_ONLY=no KERNEL_CONFIGURE=yes  COMPRESS_OUTPUTIMAGE=sha,gpg,img BSPFREEZE=yes REPOSITORY_INSTALL="" EXTERNAL=no EXTRAWIFI=no AUFS=no WIREGUARD=no INSTALL_KSRC=yes OFFLINE_WORK=no BSPFREEZE=yes CREATE_PATCHES=yes DESKTOP_ENVIRONMENT=xfce

armbian build U-Boot and I can see in log:

3.2.1.  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/conf.o
  YACC    scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.c
  LEX     scripts/kconfig/zconf.lex.c
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.o
  HOSTLD  scripts/kconfig/conf
#
# configuration written to .config
#
scripts/kconfig/conf  --syncconfig Kconfig
  CFG     u-boot.cfg
  GEN     include/autoconf.mk.dep

1) Where I can find this U-Boot's .config ? I try search it but nothing is found...

2)

"No. "rockchip.txt" defaults are automatically used if you build Orangepi 4. Defaults were not meant to be user changeable, but you can change them this generic way while building image or manually on the board."

I still don't see problem with my suggestion to add to armbian docs something like

"If you want change /boot/armbianEnv.txt you should use build/config/bootenv/$LINUXFAMILY.txt. For example if you use Orange Pi 4 you need change build/config/bootenv/rockchip.txt"

7 hours ago, kentAVR said:

For example if you use Orange Pi 4 you need change build/config/bootenv/rockchip.txt

Negative. Users don't need and should not change build script internals. When you do, also your script will not update anymore. 

Try to find reasoning for current situation, not adjusting documentation to the use case that will not be supported. At least not this way.

7 hours ago, kentAVR said:

Where I can find this U-Boot's .config ? I try search it but nothing is found.

u-boot sources perhaps?

27 minutes ago, Igor said:

Negative. Users don't need and should not change build script internals. When you do, also your script will not update anymore. 

Try to find reasoning for current situation, not adjusting documentation to the use case that will not be supported. At least not this way.

u-boot sources perhaps?

I can't see .config file at /home/a/Documents/myArmbians/8armbian/build/cache/sources/u-boot/v2020.10. Ubuntu too...

"Negative. Users don't need and should not change build script internals. When you do, also your script will not update anymore. 

Try to find reasoning for current situation, not adjusting documentation to the use case that will not be supported. At least not this way."

Switch off U-Boot input-output capabilities is not supported by armbian build script via editing rockchip.txt in my case?

where config?.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.