ARMBIAN for Amlogic S905 and S905X (ver 5.44 =<)

balbes150

15 hours ago, napo7 said:

I'm using armbian 5.37 on my s905W , because 5.44 did not booted on microsd card.

I now use an USB hdd, still with 5.37. Did not tried 5.44.

Is there a way to upgrade to 5.44 ? Should it work with USB hdd ? 

I don't know, I don't have s905w models. Until you try it yourself, you won't know if it works or not.

10 hours ago, Reddwarf said:

In other words, if I want to utilize the GPU there is no point buying a Beelink GT1 box? 

The term "GPU usage" is very broad and it's not clear what you mean by that.

On 6/15/2018 at 11:07 PM, napo7 said:

Is it possible to use a newer kernel with 5.37 image ?

I don't think that's gonna work. To determine the cause of the error, you need the UART console. Without it, it is unclear where the problem is.

On 6/16/2018 at 6:22 PM, KimLee said:

Ok thank you. Is there a way to upgrade the kernel from 3.14 to 4.16 without reinstalling the OS please ?

In theory it is possible, but I did not check in practice.

Does anyone have the ability to help with not a big check of running the system Yocto (kernel 4.17) from external media (SD and USB) on models of TV boxes with s905 ?

(ideal for running the test - the presence of an activated universal multiboot)

Hi, I'm trying to install linux on my mxqpro android tvbox (s905x) but I've got it working just when booted from usb, even if I'm trying to install it on the internal memory.

I've tried both 

nand-sata-install

and 

sudo /root/install.sh

but none of them worked, as the screen stays black for over 10 minutes, but it keeps booting from usb.

I've tried using the image Armbian_5.44_S9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_3.14.29_mate_20180601.img.xz as it's written that kernel 4.16 doesn't support eMMC memory.

How can I get over it?

EDIT: also sometimes it recognizes all of 4 usbs, sometimes (like right now) it recognizes only the one where is inserted the usb drive, making impossible to login.

Edited by smaso

Hardware recommendation (AML)

Hi,

I have a T95 android TV box (S905, aka Beelink etc) Chinese clone/noname which is running Armbian_5.37_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.79_mate_20180209 ok (without a /boot/dtb.img) from sdcard and also
Armbian_5.44_S9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_3.14.29_server_20180601 (with gxbb_p200_2G_100M.dtb) thanks to balbes150.

Sorry to hijack the thread but can anyone recommend a sub $50 ebay AML based android TV box (any AML chip) to buy that WILL run linux kernel 4.4.x onwards as I'm looking to upgrade to newer h/w.
I've tried a TX3 (S905) but I got rid of it as the Nougat Android on it was rubbish.
  Thanks.

On 6/19/2018 at 11:37 PM, smaso said:

but none of them worked, as the screen stays black for over 10 minutes, but it keeps booting from usb.

I've tried using the image Armbian_5.44_S9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_3.14.29_mate_20180601.img.xz as it's written that kernel 4.16 doesn't support eMMC memory.

How can I get over it?

EDIT: also sometimes it recognizes all of 4 usbs, sometimes (like right now) it recognizes only the one where is inserted the usb drive, making impossible to login.

IMHO I have doubts that you have the model S905X, most likely, it is the model S905W (it needs other dtb files).

On 6/20/2018 at 12:13 AM, Tommy21 said:

Does the sound work with kernel 4.16.1?

I have work .... :)

On 6/20/2018 at 12:54 AM, dbsharpe said:

Sorry to hijack the thread but can anyone recommend a sub $50 ebay AML based android TV box (any AML chip) to buy that WILL run linux kernel 4.4.x onwards as I'm looking to upgrade to newer h/w.
I've tried a TX3 (S905) but I got rid of it as the Nougat Android on it was rubbish.

Look for s905X or S905D. These chips already have partial support for HW in the main core. The developers of the community LibrELEC working on getting a full HW for KODI on the basis of core "4.1x". By the way, if there are those who want to support their work, it can significantly speed up the appearance of HW in the main kernel.

On 6/19/2018 at 12:39 PM, balbes150 said:

I added an alternative link to download images from "Mega"to the first post. Please check the link and write whether it works or not.

Seems to work just fine here :)

On 6/19/2018 at 9:54 AM, balbes150 said:

Does anyone have the ability to help with not a big check of running the system Yocto (kernel 4.17) from external media (SD and USB) on models of TV boxes with s905 ?

(ideal for running the test - the presence of an activated universal multiboot)

The Yocto image does not boot on my Mini M8S, neither from SD nor from USB. The box's boot logo shows up, the screen goes dark for a few seconds and the whole thing start over again (and again and again....)

4 minutes ago, Reddwarf said:

The Yocto image does not boot on my Mini M8S, neither from SD nor from USB. The box's boot logo shows up, the screen goes dark for a few seconds and the whole thing start over again (and again and again....)

What dtb is used ?

1 hour ago, balbes150 said:

What dtb is used ?

Since I could not mount the SD card on my windows computer where I wrote the image I did not get the chance to select any dtb...

EDIT: I could give it a try on a Linux computer?

48 minutes ago, Reddwarf said:

Since I could not mount the SD card on my windows computer where I wrote the image I did not get the chance to select any dtb...

Do you not see the BOOT partition on your PC (try the latest Yocto image I downloaded today) ? By the way, you can use the TV box itself with Armbian running instead of the PC to run Linux.

Just now, Reddwarf said:

Managed to mount it on a Linux computer and change to the Mini-m8s dtb but still same result. Boot logo appare again and again, seems to me loke it resets itself during initial boot.

Just now, balbes150 said:

Do you not see the BOOT partition on your PC (try the latest Yocto image I downloaded today) ? By the way, you can use the TV box itself with Armbian running instead of the PC to run Linux.

Just to be sure I use the correct version, could you give me the link to the latest version?

https://yadi.sk/d/f5HsAL913HYksf

Do you have a UART console ?

Well! Using the newest image and meson-gxbb-p200.dtb as dtb.img I have some result. It does try to boot from SD card but goes into kernel panic complaining that it can't mount rootfs on mmcblk0p1, so obviously not support for the internal memory. However, from a usb stick on a 4-port hub with mouse and keyboard connected to the rear of Mini-M8s I have the system running. Anything you want me to try?

13 minutes ago, Reddwarf said:

Well! Using the newest image and meson-gxbb-p200.dtb as dtb.img I have some result. It does try to boot from SD card but goes into kernel panic complaining that it can't mount rootfs on mmcblk0p1, so obviously not support for the internal memory. However, from a usb stick on a 4-port hub with mouse and keyboard connected to the rear of Mini-M8s I have the system running. Anything you want me to try?

I understood correctly that from USB stick the system Yocto was normally started ? If it starts, it is advisable to check the operation of the wired network and how the system turns off.

I understood correctly that from USB stick the system Yocto was normally started ? If it starts, it is advisable to check the operation of the wired network and how the system turns off.

Since I'm not familiar with the system I don't really know what to look for, but I connected a wired network, started some games and applications which all started fine. When I clicked shutdown I could see it stopping eth0 so appares that wired network works. Shutdown was completet.

Hi balbes , I'm using your Armbian_5.41.1_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_mate_20180421.img.xz of mali7 , I'm facing one issue with kodi 18. I changed the repositories and installed the newest lib6 . But when I started kodi , screen goes half . Can see the top portion of kodi only. I don't know what is wrong here so can you help me in this ?

WhatsApp Image 2018-06-22 at 10.09.57.jpeg

1 hour ago, Saurabh said:

I'm using your Armbian_5.41.1_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_mate_20180421.img.xz of mali7 , I'm facing one issue with kodi 18. I changed the repositories and installed the newest lib6 . But when I started kodi , screen goes half . Can see the top portion of kodi only. I don't know what is wrong here so can you help me in this ? 

What is the resolution set in the settings /boot/hdmi.sh and what is specified in the KODI settings ?

15 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

What is the resolution set in the settings /boot/hdmi.sh and what is specified in the KODI settings ?

720p, normal mate is working fine but when I go in kodi, it goes half screen.

2 hours ago, Saurabh said:

720p, normal mate is working fine but when I go in kodi, it goes half screen.

Switch common mode at 1080p (reboot system) and setup KODI on the new regime 720, revert system 720.