ARMBIAN for Amlogic S905 and S905X (ver 5.44 =<)

balbes150

Mega doesn't allow me to download images, it looks like it has download limit for free users, it starts to download, and after a while i get a message that i exceeded my download limit.

Poslano sa mog Redmi Note 4 koristeći Tapatalk

Just now, Tommy21 said:

Mega doesn't allow me to download images, it looks like it has download limit for free users, it starts to download, and after a while i get a message that i exceeded my download limit.

Poslano sa mog Redmi Note 4 koristeći Tapatalk

Mega has a daily limit for free users, I downloaded 6 gig yesterday without problems for free.

Try to record a clean image and before the first start of the system, immediately switch the entire system to 720.  That would first start the system and KODI was with 720 parameters.

@balbes150 I'm running Armbian_5.44_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_mate_20180515, sound, wifi, ethernet and BT (with external adapter) works fine so I'm pretty happy with this image but the search function in Synaptic Packet Manager is extremly slow, any idea why?

Sorry if below have been answered:

1. Is it true that Mali HW acceleration is not supported in Linux as it is under Android?

If yes then those GPUs have no function with Armbian desktop builds, e.g., for Kodi?

2. I read that 720p or less resolution doesn't need HW acceleration, and is actually SW decoded by the (quadcore) CPU.

So only 1080p and more resolution would require HW acceleration?

How many CPU cores would be required to stream 2-4 concurrent 720p channels?

3. What is the function of the VPU unit on S905/W?

9 hours ago, shippy said:

1. Is it true that Mali HW acceleration is not supported in Linux as it is under Android?

If yes then those GPUs have no function with Armbian desktop builds, e.g., for Kodi?

2. I read that 720p or less resolution doesn't need HW acceleration, and is actually SW decoded by the (quadcore) CPU.

I don't know the answer to 1&2 but for 3, the VPU is the video processing unit. Unlike PC-graphics cards the Amlogic does not have the GPU and VPU integrated but as two separate processors. This implies that the GPU can be used for other tasks without interfering with the video output.

8 hours ago, Reddwarf said:

I don't know the answer to 1&2 but for 3, the VPU is the video processing unit. Unlike PC-graphics cards the Amlogic does not have the GPU and VPU integrated but as two separate processors. This implies that the GPU can be used for other tasks without interfering with the video output.

Thanks. 

Now does the VPU do video decoding or GUI rendering or can/does both?

How about for GPUs?

I am assuming that balbes150 desktop distro supports S905/X quadcore processing, as AndroidOS does.

@balbes150 regarding the wifi drivers of the ampak am6335 and the dvb drivers I've asked you about before, it turns out that for the wifi you don't need an out-of-tree driver, the wifi is already supported by the dhd module provided with amlogic's kernel, the problem is that for some reason the module is failing to detect the right path of the firmware to load so I'm getting this after modprobe dhd:

[   82.045326] dhdsdio_download_code_file: Open firmware file failed /lib/firmware/brcm/.bin
[   82.045330] _dhdsdio_download_firmware: dongle image file download failed
[   82.045348] dhd_bus_devreset Failed to download binary to the dongle

Anyways I solved it by passing the path manually to the module like so:

modprobe dhd firmware_path=/lib/firmware/brcm/fw_bcm4335b0_ag

note that I only tested this on the Debian stretch image running 3.14.29 kernel

As for the dvb drivers they are out of tree and I had to compile the whole kernel to be able to load them without crashing the kernel, I hope that you can include them In your future releases.
One last question: do you know how to configure lirc in linux for these boxes (ir remote)?Do I need to modify the dtb for it to work ?

Thanks

Sorry for my question if it had been asked : is there any Ubuntu img available for MXQ PRO+ 4K ( s905x , 2G/16G )  with cvbs compatibility  ?

I donot have a hdmi monitor and I would like to try Ubuntu on my tv box. I tried multi-boot with Armbian_5.44_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_server_20180515.img  at my sd card , but there is no av ( cvbs ) output at all. I am not sure if the dtb.img is suitable for my tv box ( I tried several dtb files ) or the armbian Ubuntu img does not support cvsb output at all ? 

14 minutes ago, hanguofu said:

Sorry for my question if it had been asked : is there any Ubuntu img available for MXQ PRO+ 4K ( s905x , 2G/16G )  with cvbs compatibility  ?

I donot have a hdmi monitor and I would like to try Ubuntu on my tv box. I tried multi-boot with Armbian_5.44_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_server_20180515.img  at my sd card , but there is no av ( cvbs ) output at all. I am not sure if the dtb.img is suitable for my tv box ( I tried several dtb files ) or the armbian Ubuntu img does not support cvsb output at all ? 

I'm using Armbian 5.41 image which you can find in mali 7 folder. It's working fine for me without any dtb. Since you don't have a hdmi monitor you can choosing 720p option in the hdmi.sh file (comment the 1080p one ) and it will work on normal monitors too.

20 hours ago, shippy said:

Thanks. 

Now does the VPU do video decoding or GUI rendering or can/does both?

How about for GPUs?

I am assuming that balbes150 desktop distro supports S905/X quadcore processing, as AndroidOS does.

I'm no guru at this but as far as I know the VPU does only video processing and the rendering is either done i SW or in the GPU if supported. I don't know about Balbes images but I remember him mentioning that the no-mali images have support for quadcore in Kodi.

7 hours ago, Saurabh said:

I'm using Armbian 5.41 image which you can find in mali 7 folder. It's working fine for me without any dtb. Since you don't have a hdmi monitor you can choosing 720p option in the hdmi.sh file (comment the 1080p one ) and it will work on normal monitors too.

I think what he ment is that he does not have a monitor with hdmi-connection....

7 hours ago, hanguofu said:

Do I understand correctly that your monitor does not have hdmi-input? If you have DVI or VGA you can get an adapter hdmi->DVI or hdmi->VGA.

1 minute ago, Reddwarf said:

Do I understand correctly that your monitor does not have hdmi-input? If you have DVI or VGA you can get an adapter hdmi->DVI or hdmi->VGA.

Yes . You got it . I only have a traditional tv set with cvbs ( composite or AV ) input and a computer monitor with VGA input.

Just now, hanguofu said:

Yes . You got it . I only have a traditional tv set with cvbs ( composite or AV ) input and a computer monitor with VGA input.

In that case a hdmi to VGA adapter would do the trick, you can get one from Aliexpress.com or Banggood. I think that is your best bet :)

11 hours ago, andry_82 said:

There is a monitor with a resolution of 1440x900 (16:10) connected via the hdmi-> vga adapter. In the adjustment there is a current resolution of 1280X1024. How do I add the permission that I need.

I don't understand the question, which permission? To edit /boot/hdmi.sh? You can just edit hdmi.sh on some other computer, if it is windows you don't need special permission, if on linux you can start the editor with the sudo command.

On 6/22/2018 at 4:23 PM, Reddwarf said:

I'm running Armbian_5.44_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_mate_20180515, sound, wifi, ethernet and BT (with external adapter) works fine so I'm pretty happy with this image but the search function in Synaptic Packet Manager is extremly slow, any idea why?

Yes, I found this problem around the beginning of the year (maybe when I switched to version 5.4 x, but it's not accurate). I don't have time to figure out the reason right now. I use "apt-cache search".

On 6/22/2018 at 4:37 PM, martinayotte said:

Maybe related :

We should try this option.

On 6/23/2018 at 3:16 PM, MOHAMMAD HADI said:

Have anyone tried to get the IR remote working on these boxes in Linux? How to configure lirc to use the meson_ir module? Also, do we need to modify the dtbs for this to work?

https://github.com/150balbes/build/blob/amlogic/config/kernel/linux-amlogics905x-default.config#L2724

On 6/24/2018 at 12:05 AM, shippy said:

1. Incorrectly. HW is in Linux.

2. For full-screen video playback  >= 1080p on s905 need hardware support for VPU (not to be confused with GPU\libMali).

3. The VPU decodes the video stream.

15 hours ago, Reddwarf said:

I don't know about Balbes images but I remember him mentioning that the no-mali images have support for quadcore in Kodi. 

If there is no GPU support (which adds up to several elements, the kernel + system + program itself must have this support), then the CPU is used (all available cores from 1 to 8 and more, if any).

15 hours ago, hanguofu said:

For some tests I use a FullHD VGA monitor, via HDMI->VGA adapter. Everything works fine.

14 hours ago, andry_82 said:

There is a monitor with a resolution of 1440x900 (16:10) connected via the hdmi-> vga adapter. In the adjustment there is a current resolution of 1280X1024. How do I add the permission that I need.

For such screen resolution options you need to use either the system with the kernel "4.1x", or build your kernel 3.14\4.9 with the addition of the necessary patches.

I,m using Armbian5_44_s9xx_debian_stretch_4.16.1_icewm. But the list of permissions has 1280x1024 and the next 1920x1080. How to add 1440x900. If i add through Xrandr then the application of this mode flickers the screen and gets an error.

2 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Yes, I've already built and loaded the remote modules, I also had to edit the meson-remote and meson-ir sections of the dtb(now I have an rc device under /sys/class/rc/rc0 ) the problem is with lirc, I can't set it up with the amlogic drivers, maybe amlogic is using a special protocol, every time I train lirc for the remote and then when I test the config It fails to recognize the buttons.

Thanks

8 hours ago, balbes150 said:

1. Incorrectly. HW is in Linux.

2. For full-screen video playback  >= 1080p on s905 need hardware support for VPU (not to be confused with GPU\libMali).

3. The VPU decodes the video stream.

If there is no GPU support (which adds up to several elements, the kernel + system + program itself must have this support), then the CPU is .....

@balbes150

Great to hear from you ??

1. So GPUs are essentially for screen rendering /UI, and multi GPU could be helpful with a Linux Multi-seat (if Multi-seat could be set up)?

2. Can your Armbian distro be used as here, with proot ( or chroot Linux Deploy):

https://www.xda-developers.com/guide-installing-and-running-a-gnulinux-environment-on-any-android-device/

Above was tested on Google Pixel C with Snapdragon ARM.

On 6/26/2018 at 11:01 AM, andry_82 said:

I,m using Armbian5_44_s9xx_debian_stretch_4.16.1_icewm. But the list of permissions has 1280x1024 and the next 1920x1080. How to add 1440x900. If i add through Xrandr then the application of this mode flickers the screen and gets an error.

Build your kernel version with the addition of a patch or wait for the developers to add this mode.

On 6/26/2018 at 11:03 AM, andry_82 said:

On the 4.16.1 kernel, when the device is turned off, the device re How ro fix?

It is unclear what we are talking about.

On 6/26/2018 at 12:20 PM, MOHAMMAD HADI said:

I can't set it up with the amlogic drivers,

What kind of driver are you writing ?

23 hours ago, shippy said:

1. So GPUs are essentially for screen rendering /UI, and multi GPU could be helpful with a Linux Multi-seat (if Multi-seat could be set up)?

2. Can your Armbian distro be used as here, with proot ( or chroot Linux Deploy):

https://www.xda-developers.com/guide-installing-and-running-a-gnulinux-environment-on-any-android-device/

Above was tested on Google Pixel C with Snapdragon ARM. 

1. That's possible.

2. I do not know. Probably not. Why try to be so perverted ?  Armbian is a complete standalone system that does not need to cram in a chroot from Android.

4 hours ago, Reddwarf said:

Can you elaborate a bit about making an image for MiniM8S/MiniMXIII, I found this on the net: http://www.librecalc.com/en/blog/realiser-une-distribution-debian-personalisee-pour-arm9/ Does it apply to "our" tv-boxes? Or is there a better HowTo somewhere?

What do you want to collect ? What system ?