FriendlyELEC NanoPi K2 (S905)

Christos

23 minutes ago, tkaiser said:

They copied ODROID-C2 not close enough ;) 

Position of the 7-pin audio header is wrong and this won't fit here.

Nothing a bit of solder can't fix :)

I wonder if there is a cheaper variant in the works ? Dumping -1GB of ram and wifi/bt would make a nice cheap media box SBC. 

7 minutes ago, Christos said:

I bet we will soon see hats from FA

LOL! You know that this here is a basic requirement for this board: http://www.friendlyarm.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=82&product_id=133

Without a 'HAT' the fan will be just annoying, with a HAT applied it will be even more annoying and useless too. And if I search for 'S905' on eg. Gearbest, have a look at this Amlogic subforum (where every Amlogic TV box out there is reported to run with Linux) I start to wonder who the target audience of this K2 is.

37 minutes ago, hojnikb said:

Nothing a bit of solder can't fix :)

I wonder if there is a cheaper variant in the works ? Dumping -1GB of ram and wifi/bt would make a nice cheap media box SBC. 

IMHO FA might go for the S912 now..

They already got M3 (with Samsung CPU) in the past as a 8xCore (and from my experience on it its really fast) but it lacked support, now with Amlogic the foundations are already there to deliver the first decent and trully mainline supported hacker-friendly 8xCore 64-bit A53 SBC.

got the K2....put the heatsink on (Fan was upside down tho, had to reverse it.) boots up with Android with play store all fine and dandy.

What works sideload via USB only at the moment, appears ADB over the network isn't running on the Friendlyarm image.

SPMC (Although there seem to be audio glitch in DTS , drop audio every 30secs, ac3 fine, could be HDMI cable it is a long one. ) plays x264 x265 1080p and at 4k (downscaled to 1080p) fine.

Netflix

Iplayer

ES File Explorer

13 hours ago, boudicca said:

Any suggestions on any ready to go images that might work with the NanoPi K2 (FriendlyArm appear not to ready with one) ? Just asking :) please with a cherry on top

What's stopping You to try the existing options to S905 ?

p/s

I don't know how compatible the hardware of this Board with other platforms.

@balbes150

Apologies....which S905 existing option? I got lost in the existing S905 thread. I assume wrongly the S905 Download as Igor said won't work but (old eyes...so will get my specs out ) if its guess an image,  that's cool....just a bit of learning curve for me. Many Thanks..

Its a long weekend ahead so plenty of fiddle time :) somebody has to be first :)

Edit : Yep Specs worked..... found the server/Desktop image....sorry sometime the obvious place to look.....missed :)

I don't know what principle is download the uses on this Board. So what I say may be incorrect. You can try dual boot. To install the factory system (Android) to SD\eMMC card. Armbian to record to a USB stick. If on the media with regular Android, there is an external control script (similar like in C2 there is the Odroid boot.ini), add a line with the start of the script s905_autoscript (as is done in the multiboot).

Ive realised I'm not reading the instructions. should I follow the freaktab guide ?...........first timer with this type of config. Armbian_5.27_S9xxx_Debian_jessie_3.14.29_server_20170428.img

I now see I have to setup the boot etc. Apologies. all new to me.

I have my doubts that for Your card to get the standard version activation multi-download. It is designed to use u-boot, which is located in the internal memory. You have u-boot to be on an external drive, I'm not sure that this u-boot (which is located on external drive) you can add the desired variables to multi-boot. Typically, the uboot that is on external media that has no variables you can change (all variables as fixed in itself, u-boot and can not be changed). That's why I asked about the console UART, to check if there's a way in uboot to remember Your new variables. For u-boot which is used You need to collect a new version (with support for multi-boot). I tried to open the source code of u-boot from Your Board - it is not available.

dd the img to microsd (Did not try renaming dtb img files rename etc)

Inserted

power on

Greenlight came and bluelight too.

Network activity light flashing but nothing on screen

That's all I haven't tried any dtb copy rename yet.

I just got my board in the mail and was planning to install the Odroid-C2 Debian image but as we all know it will fail, My issue has been in building the Uboot for this device, I'm not able to pull the files from GitHub. Anyone been more successful?

This is the files i'm referring to. They seem to be missing.

git clone https://github.com/friendlyarm/uboot.git

UPDATE: The link should read like this. The wiki was wrong!

git clone https://github.com/friendlyarm/u-boot.git

:) Thanks...... I get the impression over the last few days that FriendlyArm are a bit absent when it comes to answering any queries on their own forum sadly. I thank you for spotting the obvious that I to be honest didn't get as far as trying to build u-boot.  As a Pi/Tinkerboard and now K2...this is getting it areas where I generally have stayed well clear of.  Implementing and configuring stuff from ssh fine but getting stuff bootstrapped.....is stress level 10 for me :)