Problem with nand-sata-install

Zabriskie

Hi all and thanks for the great work done.

I'm trying to install armbian on the eMMC of my NanoPi M1 Plus, the system boot from SD and I create the user then I start the nand-sata-install command. In the "choose an option" I have only "1 Boot from eMMC - system on eMMC" and then I choose ext4.

The process complete and I launch the "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1024 seek=8 count=1" command directly after.

The system does not boot anymore with and without the SD inserted.

On serial console, in both cases, I get:

U-Boot SPL 2017.05-armbian (Jun 13 2017 - 15:14:45)
DRAM: 1024 MiB
Trying to boot from MMC2
MMC Device 1 not found
spl: could not find mmc device. error: -19
SPL: failed to boot from all boot devices
### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###

I've checked the microSD slot card detect switch issue, but it seems OK.

Any suggestion?

Thank you,

Zabriskie

21 minutes ago, Zabriskie said:

It's normal that it does not boot from SD card since you erase boot loader from it. 

There used to be a bug in nand-sata-install that affect Debian and it should be fixed. Start with latest image and update before installing.

It's possible that this is a problem (solved upstream): https://github.com/armbian/build/commit/c785bca8b114ccfb0364522d5f149681f99b15e6

In this case you need to build image and than install it.

After installing the OS on eMMC the System boots NOT from eMMC.

On serial console:

U-Boot SPL 2017.05-armbian (Jun 13 2017 - 15:14:45)
DRAM: 1024 MiB
Trying to boot from MMC2
MMC Device 1 not found
spl: could not find mmc device. error: -19
SPL: failed to boot from all boot devices
### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###

Please see:

Many thanks.

Thorsten

Edited by zador.blood.stained
Merged the duplicate here

20 minutes ago, Thorsten said:

Thank you Mr. Arrogant!

No problem, when you kindly ask, I can give you a second one...

If you didn't know:

Armbian is a spare time project,  all the support and development efforts made by developers here are given for free (nevertheless, donations are welcome). If you need something solved faster, Igor's suggestion to hire someone might be a good idea. Otherwise, you can use the image provided by the board supplier, look if it has the functionality you want and be happy with it. If it does not have the needed features, you can be as harsh as you want to them,  cause they got your money not armbian! There's no excuse to be so harsh cause your problem is not solved  ~24h after your registration... 

14 minutes ago, chwe said:

If you need something solved faster, Igor's suggestion to hire someone might be a good idea.

In fact Igor for reasons unknown to me politely pointed @Thorsten to instructions how to build an image himself containing the fix. I don't know why he did that since users yelling in big red letters should simply be ignored.

21 minutes ago, tkaiser said:

should simply be ignored.

I think to bann is the only logical consequence. Why?

We do not want to be see in company with ones like this (he or her), what will others think about our community with such members?

6 minutes ago, Tido said:

I think to bann is the only logical consequence.

34 minutes ago, tkaiser said:

I don't know why he did that since users yelling in big red letters should simply be ignored.

I disagree with this for 2 simple reasons:

• this device is listed as supported
  • there are prebuilt images for this board

Remove all prebuilt images and force users to read documentation and build images themselves and you won't get these types of messages. But instead we are adding new boards, new nightlies and new testing images that are marked as "stable".

This will only get worse.

On 26/07/2017 at 12:51 PM, Zabriskie said:

Any suggestion?

for getting it back to life - did you try the eflasher images from FriendlyElec/FriendlyARM?:

http://wiki.friendlyarm.com/wiki/index.php/NanoPi_M1_Plus#Flash_image_to_eMMC_with_eflasher

If that didnt work you could ask for the u-boot parameters in the FriendlyARM-Forum at
NanoPi M1/Plus,NanoPi NEO/Air/NEO2/NEO Plus2 Hardware

http://www.friendlyarm.com/Forum/viewforum.php?f=47

Maybe someone could help you getting your board back to life/booting.

11 minutes ago, Tido said:

I think to bann is the only logical consequence.

Nah, please not. Armbian forum tried to avoid 'moderator actions' (deletion, bans) in the past and this should remain the same. And as @zador.blood.stained pointed out he mentioned an Armbian QA problem (we're talking about a stable image here). We could take this (again) as a chance to overthink release and board support policies.

1 minute ago, zador.blood.stained said:

I disagree with this for 2 simple reasons

You got it wrong Zador.

1. He doesn't pay
  2. Has no support contract
  3. armbian has no obligation to deliver !!

That said, he can friendly investigate. And yes, we identified some missing information on the armbian project, but this does not give anyone the allowance to talk like that.

1 minute ago, tkaiser said:

Armbian forum tried to avoid 'moderator actions'

A fresh member with such a behavior is an exception and needs special treatment

5 minutes ago, guidol said:

Maybe someone could help you getting your board back to life/booting.

It's just generating a new Armbian image with the (simple) fix applied. I'll do that now.

@Tido please stop playing 'moderator from hell', thank you (still waiting for you splitting the two display threads you merged today)

5 minutes ago, zador.blood.stained said:

I disagree with this for 2 simple reasons:

• this device is listed as supported
  • there are prebuilt images for this board

Yes - as I can see for booting from sd....
Installation seems to be possible, but why does the user dd from device /dev/zero to /dev/mmcblk0  after the emmc installtion?

The process complete and I launch the "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1024 seek=8 count=1" command directly after.

wouldnt a emtpy mmcblk0 bad for booting?
where did he get this command?

2 minutes ago, tkaiser said:

@Tido please stop playing 'moderator from hell', thank you (still waiting for you splitting the two display threads you merged today)

LOL, says who. You   *ROTFL*  great time.  Do you ever read your postings ?

Done in the afternoon, welcome to the future

To me, the main problem was attitude: double demand from anonymous to fix his problem. In 24h. By amateurs. Sometimes pleads (this was not a plead but demand) can be done over the line but generally, this is not possible and we should tell this. Now, let's stop wasting time on this - it will be fixed when possible.

3 hours ago, Thorsten said:

When will Armbian release a new image without this Big, Big Bug?

Based on your original thread title and the forum you chose I'm assuming you used the nightly Xenial dev image (marked as experimental) 

Please be aware that according to our homepage the next major release is 4 days away: https://www.armbian.com (that said I've no idea whether this will be the case since I simply don't understand 'our' release, testing and board bring up policy).

Anyway, the fix is in the repo since ages, I just added the next target to the board and enabled a new nightly build (still marked as experimental). Please check https://dl.armbian.com/nanopim1plus/nightly/ tomorrow, then a new (nightly/experimental!) build should appear. Stable Armbian releases still use the old outdated legacy kernel and as far as I know that won't change with the next release cycle since we're awaiting kernel 4.14 with a bunch of additional fixes before we release official mainline images for H3 boards.

38 minutes ago, tkaiser said:

Armbian QA problem

It would be a "QA problem" if it was a result of not following written procedures or guidelines, bypassing checking device specific features (like eMMC booting), etc. Non-systematic approach to adding/changing features and list of supported devices has to be changed first in order to start naming other problems

1 minute ago, zador.blood.stained said:

Non-systematic approach to adding/changing features and list of supported devices has to be changed first in order to start naming other problems

While I agree I see no solution (since we talked about this stuff way too often with no results other than everyone is doing what he wants)