1 1
linda

pine64: massive date/time clock problem

Hello,
I have a massive problem as the time/date on my Pine64 keep changing randomly to the year 2113.

In my project, I use several Pine64s and the problem now occurs on many of these Pine64s. Unfortunately I need the correct time for my project.

I am using the following system: ARMBIAN 5.32.170911 nightly Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS 4.13.0-sun50iw1 (with additional overlays = uart3 and
console = ttyS3)

Could this be due to the error described in the post

and is the bug fixed in kernel version 4.14?

Could I install this kernel version 4.14 via armbian-config (next-kernel)?

Thanks a lot for help.

9 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

CONFIG_FSL_ERRATUM_A008585=y

According to some discussions and tests this is not enough, A64 timer has worse problems so this was posted on the linux-sunxi mailing list recently. Though I think I've read in IRC logs that even this is not 100% reliable.

And somehow Maxime decided to blame us for not reporting the clock issue, even though it was discussed on IRC several times and we here don't have a perfect understainding of arch timer vs system clock correlation.

7 minutes ago, zador.blood.stained said:

A64 timer has worse problems so this was posted on the linux-sunxi mailing list recently

Yes, I've seen that too. Maxime should not blame us, we only faced the issue and in my case, adding this erratum to config worked without any additionnal patches, I've never face the issue again, but that is maybe only luck ...

If newer patch is better, we can probably try to integrate it in Armbian, but it is up to Maxime to ack the patch, not us ;)

many, many thanks for the quick responses and please excuse my bedelayed answer.

In my current version (with kernel 4.13) CONFIG_FSL_ERRATUM_A008585 is not set.
The updated kernel (4.14) results with
CONFIG_FSL_ERRATUM_A008585 = y

Thus, I will upgrade my existing devices to the new kernel (and hope that the issues zador.blood.staine addresses will not occur to me).

With my test device I realized this with the tool "armban-config". Is there a way to parameterize the "armban-config" tool to run the update via script or is it possible to do the adjustment to the next kernel via command line?

Is it correct to install the kernel with the following command:

apt-get -o APT::Status-Fd=4 -o APT::Keep-Fds::=5 -o APT::Keep-Fds::=6 --reinstall -o Dpkg::Options::=--force-confdef -o Dpkg::Options::=--force-confold -y -qq --no-install-recommends install linux-image-next-sunxi64 linux-headers-next-sunxi64 linux-u-boot-pine64-next linux-xenial-root-next-pine64 linux-dtb-next-sunxi64

(found in the history.log of the updated device)

A test on a device with the kernel 4.13 shows no error and results in the new kernel 4.14.