Single Armbian image for RK + AML + AW (aarch64 ARMv8)

balbes150

Launched the "overclocked" version on MX10 (rk3328). Installed in eMMC. So far, everything is stable. At first glance, it works faster than with the default u-boot. Full-screen video in the browser from youtube with a resolution of 1080p works almost without brakes (previously I could only play 720p without brakes on this model). There must be a fan, with it the temperature under maximum load does not exceed 55-65 degrees.

http://ix.io/2rxg
How about s905x, can you make it too?

Sent from my SM-C9000 using Tapatalk

On 7/13/2020 at 9:23 PM, balbes150 said:

Are there users with rk3328 models here ? I am currently testing a performance increase for 3328 and I need volunteers to evaluate the results (how stable it is and how much performance increases). When testing on MVR9 (rk3328), after switching to the "overclocked" version, I get a noticeable increase in performance.

Dusted my MX10 and tried to boot focal desktop from https://yadi.sk/d/DSO6euzB3ahemo/ARMBIAN/20.07/20200714-933,

unfortunately doesn't boot.

22 minutes ago, Rajesh said:

If it is Phantio MX10 it is most likely Allwinner H6 and not rk3328. You may first want to verify this.

Its the rk3328 because it used to work in the kernel 4 days

On 7/13/2020 at 1:09 PM, balbes150 said:

Added the u-boot-20.04 file for use in universal images for rk3328.

Updating specialized versions of Armbian for rk3328. The kernel 5.7.8 and u-boot-2020.04 are used.

@balbes150 Hi , I noticed their are now two folders with kernel 5.7.8 for rk3328 ,

one with postfix 763 and one with 933 , could you enlighten us with the purpose of this ?

(I guess it has something to do with your speed experiment ).

By the way,  I have a v88 mini III with rk3328 ( and the ssv6051 wifi you love so much ;) ) ,

these images boot into desktop from sd with most dtb files for rk3328 ,

I used 933 Armbian_20.07_Rk3328-tv_focal_current_5.7.8_desktop.img

11 minutes ago, Virverus said:

now two folders with kernel 5.7.8 for rk3328 ,

one with postfix 763 and one with 933 , could you enlighten us with the purpose of this ?

763Mhz

933Mhz

The maximum frequency of the RAM. But this requires additional steps. By default, with any image, the regular RAM frequency (embedded in the regular u-boot) is used.

On 7/10/2020 at 1:30 AM, Werner said:

I tried this image on Tanix TX6 which has H6 and everything is working great including on board wifi. Added the new u-boot also.

Is absolutely everything working on this box? LED display?, HDMI Audio?, 2.4 and 5GB Wifi?, Bluetooth?, Remote?, GPU?.  Are you using the 64 bit version of Armbian?

2 hours ago, Madasafish said:

Is absolutely everything working on this box? LED display?, HDMI Audio?, 2.4 and 5GB Wifi?, Bluetooth?, Remote?, GPU?.  Are you using the 64 bit version of Armbian?

I am pretty sure that @Rajesh said that and not me ;)

6 hours ago, Werner said:

I am pretty sure that @Rajesh said that and not me ;)

HDMI Display - yes

HDMI Audio - yes

LED display - No. This will need some additional work.

2.4 and 5GB wifi - yes

Bluetooth - not tested but I think it should work with right drivers.

Remote - I am sure this an be configured with lirc or something similar

GPU - not sure

Boot logo - no [ I tried using sunxi patches from @Igor 's master branch but it did not help. ]

Plymouth - yes

Allwinner H6 is ARMv8  architecture so yes 64 bit version of Armbian is required and it works quite well in my opinion except for temperature issues on H6 with that particular box or in general. 

-R

For my NanoPC-T4, I want to be able to install multiple kernel versions at the same time and boot a specific one by default. In addition, I would like to be able to select which kernel to start if necessary:

Armbian_20.07_Arm-64_focal_dev Boot Options.
1:      linux-default
2:      5.8.0-rc4-arm-64
3:      5.8.0-rc3-arm-64
4:      5.8.0-rc2-arm-64
5:      5.8.0-rc1-arm-64
6:      linux-test

To present my solution, I have used "Armbian_20.07_Arm-64_focal_dev_5.8.0-rc4.img.xz" and "u-boot-rk3399-nanopc-t4.img 07/10/2020 8:50am" on a microSD:

Spoiler

With Armbian_20.07_Arm-64_focal_dev_5.8.0-rc4 running:

First step: prepare kernel versions

cd /usr/lib/modules/5.8.0-rc4-arm-64"
cp --preserve --recursive /boot/dtb ."
cp --preserve /boot/System* .
cp --preserve /boot/config* .
cp --preserve /boot/zImage .

For other kernel versions prepare /usr/lib/modules/<kernel-version> in a similar way in other images and copy /usr/lib/modules/<kernel-version> over.

Second step: prepare for dristro-boot

mkdir /extlinux

Copy the attached extlinux.conf into /extlinux/extlinux.conf over.

extlinux.conf

The single image dependent value is PARTUUID, "9df910cf" is the one setup by "u-boot-rk3399-nanopc-t4.img 07/10/2020 8:50am". If you are using a different MBR use "blkid" to check out and adjust appropriatly.

"ln --symbolic 5.8.0-rc4-arm-64 /usr/lib/modules/linux-default" will determine which kernel will be used by 1: linux-default.
"ln --symbolic 5.8.0-rc5-arm-64 /usr/lib/modules/linux-test" is for convenience to pull in e.g. 5.8.0-rc5-arm-64 by 6: linux-test.
So flipping linux-default/linux-test changes the used kernel without further intervention.

Third step: activate distro-boot
Inform uboot to search at the second partition for its configuration:

fdisk /dev/mmcblk1

Welcome to fdisk (util-linux 2.34).
Changes will remain in memory only, until you decide to write them.
Be careful before using the write command.

Command (m for help): a
Partition number (1,2, default 2): 2

The bootable flag on partition 2 is enabled now.

Command (m for help): w
The partition table has been altered.
Syncing disks.

Reboot and use distro-boot.

All copied files do not interfere with the old boot scheme and can coexist. The content of the /usr/lib/modules/<kernel-version> directory is rootfs agnostic, i. e. it can be used in any image where the kernel fit the device. It is even working with Fedora userspace for me. The old boot scheme can be reactivated by disabling the boot flag again (redo third step).

With this scheme in place I am able to pull in a new kernel without the need to port over my local image configuration to a new image. If the new kernel is not working as expected all previous available ones are just a reboot away. If the new kernel version is suitable for boot on demand just a new boot stanza in extlinux.conf is nessesary.

The mainline uboot for NanoPC-T4 has not yet enabled USB keyboard support. Therefor the on demand selection of a boot option will only work via the serial console keyboard.

The build of uboot with the same options in nanopc-t4-rk3399_defconfig as it was done for Pinebook Pro and rockpro64, should probably enable it in a similar way. This means that only HDMI display and USB keyboard are required.

4 hours ago, AzuriAdore said:

Hello guys,

I noticed that the gx_sound.sh is gone from /root/

My Nexbox A95X's sound with s905x chipset is not working.

Anyone has a workaround?

I think you can get this from older images. Try 'Armbian_20.05.0_Arm-64_buster_current_5.6.0-rc4_desktop_20200314.img.xz'

-R

17 hours ago, Rajesh said:

I think you can get this from older images. Try 'Armbian_20.05.0_Arm-64_buster_current_5.6.0-rc4_desktop_20200314.img.xz'

-R

Thanks for the help,

Unfortunately, even on an older build of Armbian (20200314), I was not able to make it work.

The output for that script file was many "incorrect syntax" errors for the amixer commands:

amixer -c "$1" sset "$2" "$3" $parm
amixer -c "$1" sset "$2" $parm

I'm wondering if the amixer commands parameters changed from a version update or something?

12 hours ago, AzuriAdore said:

Thanks for the help,

Unfortunately, even on an older build of Armbian (20200314), I was not able to make it work.

The output for that script file was many "incorrect syntax" errors for the amixer commands:

amixer -c "$1" sset "$2" "$3" $parm
amixer -c "$1" sset "$2" $parm

I'm wondering if the amixer commands parameters changed from a version update or something?

Check the card name is correct. You can use aplay -L to verify the card name in the script.

If it still does not work, you can try with alsamixer on the device.

-R

hi guy.

Thanx for this image. its work with my Tanix Tx6.

but have question. you have solution for work with Front LED LCD FD650B-S.

I want to see time on it or other data. 

you can help me for grab tools or anyone maked code or app  ?

43 minutes ago, lgranie said:

Can we expect some kernel deb packages?

I plan to send the new version to network repositories after switching to version 20.08. Without this, the kernel package will have the same name as the existing package and the update does not work correctly.

I've managed to install Armbain to EMMC (internal storeage) for the first time (Armbian_20.06.0_Arm-64_focal_dev_5.8.0-rc3_desktop_20200629.img) on my 8/2Gb s905x p201 box by following install-aml-s905-emmc.sh by hand, line by line and it boots reliably from internal flash but with reduced RAM.

Can anyone provide a bootloader/uboot for s905x 2Gb as mine is only showing about 800Mb  after flashing with /root/u-boot/u-boot-s905/u-boot.img .
I'm able to build u-boot source and BayLibre u-boot but no idea what the output does.

21 hours ago, balbes150 said:

ver 20200721-dev kernel 5.8-rc6

@balbes150 I tried this on Tanix TX6 yesterday.  Sharing some initial test data compared to the earlier 5.7.7 image I had used:

1, Onboard wifi is not working. It was working with earlier 5.7.7 images. Wi-fi dongle 

2. Sound card is not configured. Was working in previous images.

3. As expected with kernel 5.8 CPU Speed and governor is functional now. There is remarkable improvement in controlling SOC temperature at the cost of performance. htop has stopped showing CPU temperature so I had to use lm-sensors.

-R

The bionic version of 20200723 (with added desktop) runs now for around 12 hours from internal on two of my x96mini 2/16G boxes without issues or problems as expected. By the way the bionics from 20200720 & 20200715 worked well on the p281 boxes too..

I installed the latest focal current 20200723 image and the new locale settings are a disaster. Just because my IP address is from an arabic country all my default locale settings are changed...

On this image, you boot straight into root password change. This is a regressive move in my view, just because as an example your IP is from France doesn't mean you speak French etc etc etc.

This is almost like websites where you cannot find the option to change your language... armbian-config should be used for this type of change, not a default change you cannot override at 1st boot time.

And I know this is not from this image created by you, but please Mr. @balbes150, speak to our comrades at ArmbianHQ to revert :-)