NanoPC T4

tkaiser

On 9/19/2018 at 10:06 AM, tkaiser said:

Just tested this too and it also does not work

@tkaiser, I wished to update my NanoPC-T4 today, and I've faced your issue ...

Although the BOOT button trick worked, since I saw the u-boot build date, it was taking the one from SDCard, but it choose to run scripts/kernel from eMMC.

I had to stop u-boot at prompt, do manual "setenv devnum 1" to avoid eMMC followed by "run mmc_boot", it finally booted from SDCard.

It was definitively not like that with my previous old HJC image, so something wrong in the current u-boot scripts ...

9 minutes ago, chwe said:

They may have a difference in definition of 0/1 for eMMC/SD-Card?

Maybe ... Unfortunately, I didn't kept the old private built image with old HJC branch, so I can't even look what was different in both u-boot.

At least, we now have a manual workaround ...

On 6/17/2018 at 8:26 AM, tkaiser said:

Pros:

• Another RK3399 board so software support is already pretty mature
  • Rich set of interfaces (2 x USB2 without shared bandwidth, 2 x USB3, triple display output and so on)
  • No powering hassles due to 12V (2A) PSU requirement
  • 16GB superfast eMMC 5.1 
  • Usable and performant Wi-Fi (dual band and dual antenna so MIMO can be used, for numbers see here)
  • All 4 PCIe lanes exposed (M.2 M key connector on the bottom, suitable for NVMe SSDs, or to attach a 4 port SATA controller or a PCIe riser card)

Has anyone tried a 2 or 4 port SATA controller in the M.2 slot? Does it work? What is the most streamlined way to run power to 3.5" drives in this setup?

48 minutes ago, Jason Law said:

Has anyone tried a 2 or 4 port SATA controller in the M.2 slot? Does it work?

Nope and I don't think so. I wanted to try the same, did some research and ended up with an Amazon review from someone trying this with the Firefly RK3399 saying the Marvell 9235 adapter he had has some components on the bottom that make it impossible to use it on the board without shorting something. These things look like this:

201801231409528235.jpg

And then on NanoPC-T4 there are only mounting holes for 2280 while the SATA adapters are all 2242. So unless you get a PCIe extender somewhere the M.2 slot is 'SSD only'.

Are you aware that FriendlyELEC will provide the below for NanoPi M4 soon (also solving the powering problem):

IMG_1132.jpg

3 minutes ago, Jason Law said:

how will this connect to the M4?

It's a HAT so you simply mount in on top of the NanoPi using 4 spacers so GPIO headers make contact. Since NanoPi M4 is one of the few SBC that have the SoC on the appropriate side of the PCB (the lower one) attaching HATs does not negatively affect heat dissipation.

(still hoping that the final version of the HAT will also use a 40 pin male header so the GPIOs on this header can still be used)

New guy here.  Sorry if I'm in the wrong place.  I followed the link from the Armbian.com /nanopc-t4/ page.

Issue #1:

Lots of this in /var/log/syslog, but otherwise working fine:

Sep 28 21:13:18 localhost kernel: [ 2203.794730] _tdata_psh_info_pool_deq 200: Out of tdata_disc_grp
Sep 28 21:13:18 localhost kernel: [ 2203.794745] dhd_tcpdata_info_get 1092: No more free tdata_psh_info!!
Sep 28 21:13:19 localhost kernel: [ 2203.924558] _tdata_psh_info_pool_deq 200: Out of tdata_disc_grp
Sep 28 21:13:19 localhost kernel: [ 2203.924578] dhd_tcpdata_info_get 1092: No more free tdata_psh_info!!
Sep 28 21:13:19 localhost kernel: [ 2204.283677] _tdata_psh_info_pool_deq 200: Out of tdata_disc_grp
Sep 28 21:13:19 localhost kernel: [ 2204.283696] dhd_tcpdata_info_get 1092: No more free tdata_psh_info!!

I am on the most recent release:

Welcome to ARMBIAN 5.60 stable Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 4.4.156-rk3399
System load:   0.14 0.04 0.01   Up time:       1 min
Memory usage:  2 % of 3811MB    IP:            192.168.1.162
CPU temp:      51°C
Usage of /:    10% of 15G

Originally installed 5.59 via SD card then moved to eMMC boot using armbian-config.  5.59 had the same syslog messages.  Upgraded to 5.60 using armbian-config

Details at:  http://ix.io/1nO0

Issue #2

Generic Amazon mSATA M.2 2280 60GB doesn't show up.   Let me how/where I can provide any more info.

Thanks to the devs for all the great work.

3 hours ago, SMburn said:

Generic Amazon mSATA M.2

Please be very careful with these wordings. M.2 is not mSATA. M.2 is just a mechanical connector able to transport a bunch of different protocols. In case you have no other device suited for an M.2 SATA SSD you might want to have a look at https://jeyi.aliexpress.com/store/group/USB3-0-USB3-1-Type-C-Series/710516_511630295.html for external USB3 enclosures (to get a bulky but ultra fast 'USB pendrive'). But since a 'generic' 60 GB SSD will perform crappy anyway and you talked about Amazon the best you could do is to return such a thing right now.

19 hours ago, hjc said:

The M.2 connector on T4 does not support SATA, so you should get an NVMe SSD.

Thanks for schooling me on this.  My SATA stick is keyed for both M and B connectors.  My clearly wrong ASSumption was that if it fits, it works.

19 hours ago, tkaiser said:

In case you have no other device suited for an M.2 SATA SSD you might want to have a look at..

Thanks.   With that, my car audio system USB input will now get a music library source that that isn't mobile phone dependent. 

Returning to my other issue:

23 hours ago, SMburn said:

Sep 28 21:13:18 localhost kernel: [ 2203.794730] _tdata_psh_info_pool_deq 200: Out of tdata_disc_grp
Sep 28 21:13:18 localhost kernel: [ 2203.794745] dhd_tcpdata_info_get 1092: No more free tdata_psh_info!!

Is there any more info I can provide, or is this a known thing that's being worked on and I just need to relax?

Thanks again for your help.

currently i'm trying to load a dtbo to 4.19-rc4. attachted dts works and results in loading modul adv7180.

/dts-v1/;
/plugin/;

/ {
        compatible = "friendlyelec,nanopc-t4", "rockchip,rk3399";

fragment@0 {
//              target = <&i2c1>;
                target-path = "/i2c@ff110000";
                __overlay__ {
                        #address-cells = <1>;
                        #size-cells = <0>;

adv7282-m@20 {
                                status = "okay";
                                compatible = "adi,adv7282-m";
                                reg = <0x20>;
                                device_type = "v4l2-i2c-subdev";

//                              powerdown-gpios = <&gpio2 28 1>;// 92
//                              reset-gpios = <&adv_gpio2 27 1>;        // 91
                        };
                };
        };
};

i need some advices for
- referencing by phandle (like target = <&i2c1>)
- defining gpios (commented out gpios)

On 9/19/2018 at 10:39 AM, tkaiser said:

Boot priority with Rockchip boards is AFAIK always eMMC first then SD card. So once RK3399 finds a bootloader signature on the eMMC it will boot from there even if a bootable SD card is inserted. If you want to reflash eMMC in this situation you

• delete the bootloader on the eMMC (can be done from the running system: 'dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/mmcblk1 bs=1M count=64 ; sync')

This worked for me, when using the right device for the zero source

• 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk1 bs=1M count=64 ; sync'

On 10/13/2018 at 3:08 PM, habeIchVergessen said:

fragment@0 {
                target = <&i2c1>;
  				adv7282-m@20 {
                              powerdown-gpios = <&gpio2 28 1>;// 92
                              reset-gpios = <&adv_gpio2 27 1>;        // 91

dtb files included in kernel source tree needs to be build with __symbols__ node (dtc -@ ...). just modified the dtc command in scripts/Makefile.lib.

entries in __symbols__ node are required to be able to resolve existing phandle.

I see multiple people facing issues with the OS on eMMC. Is it safe to "Etcher" the ROM below to a SD card,  apt update && apt upgrade, followed by a nand-sata-install in the armbina-config utility?

ROM: OMV_4_NanoPC_T4.img.xz (2018-10-09) (source)

Or could I install the ROM directly onto the eMMC by following the proces 'Flash Image under Windows with Type-C Cable' (FriendlyARM wiki)? The wiki mentions "images-for-eflasher" so I'm unsure if the ROM needs to be specifically prepared to enable this flashing method.

On 11/2/2018 at 11:51 AM, Alexio said:

I see multiple people facing issues with the OS on eMMC. Is it safe to "Etcher" the ROM below to a SD card,  apt update && apt upgrade, followed by a nand-sata-install in the armbina-config utility?

Or could I install the ROM directly onto the eMMC by following the proces 'Flash Image under Windows with Type-C Cable' (FriendlyARM wiki)? The wiki mentions "images-for-eflasher" so I'm unsure if the ROM needs to be specifically prepared to enable this flashing method.

I didn't have problems with eMMC-Installation. I booted from SD-Card and used armbian-config to install to eMMC. No need to use other flash methods.

On 11/2/2018 at 11:51 AM, Alexio said:

Hello, I'm one of those people I'm not sure which steps to follow to install OMV on emmc.

Could someone kindly explain the steps ?

- flash the img on SD card with etcher / or use Linux_Upgrade_Tool_1.27 ?

- insert sd card and boot ? (-> nothing happens on screen.)

- use that nand-sata-install tool / how ?

On 12/13/2018 at 11:25 AM, pudding said:

Hello, I'm one of those people I'm not sure which steps to follow to install OMV on emmc.

Could someone kindly explain the steps ?

- flash the img on SD card with etcher / or use Linux_Upgrade_Tool_1.27 ?

- insert sd card and boot ? (-> nothing happens on screen.)

- use that nand-sata-install tool / how ?

Out the top of my head, here's how I did it:

1. Flash image provide on ARMbian page using Etcher

2. After successful flash insert SD card and boot

3. Find out what the IP of your system is (you can use for instance Angry IP scanner or login to your router which handles the IP's)

4. Connect via SSH to this IP (first start requires password change)

5. Run the code below

nand-sata-install

6. Select EMMC and (I believe) the preferred filesystem

7. Wait some time

8. Turn of your system, remove SD card and power system back on

On 8/16/2018 at 4:34 AM, s_frit said:

Are the heatsink mounting holes compatible with "every Northbridge cooler with a mounting hole distance of 60 mm" as for the RockPro64?

It's around 56mm, and very tight. I stuck a 4-position housing with a couple blank sockets (to hold it in place) on the ADC connector to avoid any possibility of contact with the heat sink bracket (the fifth pin is a ground, and I happened to have the 4p housing). Threaded inserts are 2.5mm for the heat sink (M.2 is 3mm, i.e. standard). I trimmed a couple #4 nylon washers for the back of the board (to clear components).

Photo (2MB JPG): http://www.tailbone.net/p1000325.jpg

I'd cover the GPIO header, too, but I ditched all of my 40p housings years ago (unless I still have some 40p -> 80 wire ATA housings somewhere...).

So the Thermalright HR-05 (non-IFX, old mounting hardware, long discontinued) works with minor modifications. Something like the Enzotech CNB-S1 would likely work if you trimmed the mounting ears (and didn't mind spending $30); I don't believe there are any high/tall components within about 20mm of the CPU center, but that's the limit. The Enzotech R1 is too large (in diameter), for instance; the Zalman Flower would be as well. There's not much of a selection any more, since PC chipsets are simpler devices these days. (I have an old K10 with an nVidia MCP55 Pro chipset with an HR-05 IFX on it that runs a bit hotter than the RK3399.)

As always, YMMV.

Just a side note here : Is there any nightly build NanoPCT4 users who are using 4.19.y builds on eMMC ?

I ask that because I've some local patch for months that I never committed related to eMMC, which in my case was required since my T4 have an older eMMC, I had to comment those lines in DT :

//mmc-hs400-1_8v;

//mmc-hs400-enhanced-strobe;

FYI 5.0-rc1 works on NanoPi M4 with this DT,  Bluetooth works with this instruction:

The missing bits are Wifi and I think for GPU/VPU a new mali userspace is needed.  ops, no mali or VPU ready on linux-next, sorry.

ERROR: The DDK is not compatible with any of the Mali GPUs on the system.
The DDK was built for 0x860 r2p0 status range [0..15], but none of the GPUs matched:

11 minutes ago, xauser said:

I've read somewhere that the armbian nanopc t4 kernel is overclocked. Since my t4 is in a metal case without a fan I want to ask if there is an easy way to downclock it or do I have to modify the kernel sources for this?

No need. Just edit /etc/default/cpufrequtils and lower MAX_SPEED following by:

service cpufrequtils restart

8 hours ago, Teal said:

Has anyone tried the M2 slot yet?

On T4? Yes, it works on legacy 4.4.y kernel and its (ATM) broken on 4.20.y

8 hours ago, Teal said:

I plan to install a riser card, like this one m2 riser card  and install a non-raid SATA Controller to get native SATA Ports. Might this work?

It should.