Armbian for Amlogic S9xxx kernel 5.x

balbes150

Now to enable uboot-2018, do I need to to rename the file before inserting it into TV Box? Mean rename s912-uboot.img to uboot.img and then run install-2018.sh. Am I right? or do I need to take some different steps to install u-boot-2018? Anyone tried it in H96 Pro+?

11 hours ago, sekarpdkt said:

Now to enable uboot-2018, do I need to to rename the file before inserting it into TV Box? Mean rename s912-uboot.img to uboot.img and then run install-2018.sh. Am I right? or do I need to take some different steps to install u-boot-2018? Anyone tried it in H96 Pro+?

I copied s912-uboot.img to uboot.img indeed. It was on VIM2 though. People report different results on different hardware. I am planning to try it on other hardware soon.

12 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Update Ver 20181112

Hi Babes I have installed the new version Armbian_5.64_Aml-s9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.19.0-rc7_desktop_20181112

I still have no ZRAM on my 1gb Mecool s912 showing up.

Am i doing something wrong?

Hello,

I'm using the newest version armbian for amlogic 5.64 on S905D, but when installing open-iscsi, there are some error messages:

Job for iscsid.service failed because of unavailable resources or another system                                                                                                                      error.
See "systemctl status iscsid.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
invoke-rc.d: initscript iscsid, action "start" failed.
● iscsid.service - iSCSI initiator daemon (iscsid)
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/iscsid.service; enabled; vendor preset: e                                                                                                                     nabled)
   Active: failed (Result: resources) since Sat 2018-10-13 13:44:05 UTC; 21ms ag                                                                                                                     o
     Docs: man:iscsid(8)
  Process: 6965 ExecStart=/sbin/iscsid (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 6960 ExecStartPre=/lib/open-iscsi/startup-checks.sh (code=exited, sta                                                                                                                     tus=0/SUCCESS)

Oct 13 13:44:05 aml systemd[1]: Starting iSCSI initiator daemon (iscsid)...
Oct 13 13:44:05 aml iscsid[6965]: iSCSI logger with pid=6966 started!
Oct 13 13:44:05 aml systemd[1]: iscsid.service: Failed to read PID from fil…ment
Oct 13 13:44:05 aml systemd[1]: iscsid.service: Daemon never wrote its PID …ing.
Oct 13 13:44:05 aml systemd[1]: Failed to start iSCSI initiator daemon (iscsid).
Oct 13 13:44:05 aml systemd[1]: iscsid.service: Unit entered failed state.
Oct 13 13:44:05 aml systemd[1]: iscsid.service: Failed with result 'resources'.
Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full.
dpkg: error processing package open-iscsi (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.24-11+deb9u3) ...
Processing triggers for systemd (232-25+deb9u4) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.6.1-2) ...
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.130) ...
ln: failed to create hard link '/boot/initrd.img-4.18.7-aml-s9xxx.dpkg-bak' => '                                                                                                                     /boot/initrd.img-4.18.7-aml-s9xxx': Operation not permitted
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.18.7-aml-s9xxx
W: mdadm: /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf defines no arrays.
update-initramfs: Converting to u-boot format
Errors were encountered while processing:
open-iscsi
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I tried to start the iscsid service manually, but get error:

can not bind NETLINK_ISCSI socket 

perhaps the kernel not support iSCSI.

could you please fix it?

Thanks to balbes for his builds!

Actually I'm running the 181113 Ubuntu desktop from internal memory and testing the 181114 version of it from micro sd card on an x96mini s905w p281 2/16 tv box. Armbian runs pretty nice with Ethernet connection, but with some little issues:

Most annoying is the color inverted pink-green screen on every boot up. After re-plugging HDMI the colors are okay, but that prevents to place the box in shelf. I got the same issue on balbes' libreelec builds, but there colors are right automatically after kodi splash screen coming up on x96mini and tx3mini. Not at armbian where I always need to unplug and reconnect HDMI to get a proper color. Is there a simple way/setting to get rid of the inverted picture on start (of x)?!

When I power the x96mini off, it always reboots. To get it really off I use a switch on outlet for power supply, but is there a way to disable this permanent reboot behavior?

Because I got no sound output on av port I use an USB sound card as workaround. Most likely the output is routed via HDMI, but as my fhd monitor lacks of speakers I can't proof it. Is there a way to show and control all possible output paths (analog stereo & HDMI) like in recent libreelec builds (with 4.x kernel) as on armbian HDMI and or switches for HDMI aren't shown in pulse audio, alsa or any other mixer?

I know, that there are better ways like libreelec or even android to use kodi on those boxes, but is there a way to get a working kodi 18 beta running on these 5.64 armbian builds? The 17.6 from synaptic install works sometimes a bit sloppy but especially for radio/mp3 pretty well.

Sure a keyboard-mouse-combo is best for most tasks, but my last question atm is how to get the original remote working on these armbian builds? Which debs (from where) needs to be installed and which style and name is needed for the config file (got for the pretty similar p281 tx3 mini minimum 4 different remote configuration files in very different code styles for several libreelec versions..). 

18 hours ago, Turgus said:

When I power the x96mini off, it always reboots. To get it really off I use a switch on outlet for power supply, but is there a way to disable this permanent reboot behavior?

No. On mainline kernel on the arm boards without a separate pmu is just a reboot and no shutdown.

18 hours ago, Turgus said:

I know, that there are better ways like libreelec or even android to use kodi on those boxes, but is there a way to get a working kodi 18 beta running on these 5.64 armbian builds? The 17.6 from synaptic install works sometimes a bit sloppy but especially for radio/mp3 pretty well.

wayland(weston) + mali and v4l2... But it's still bad for "daily uses". For more info, use google translate http://ua3nbw.ru/all/kodi-18-mainline-linux-allwinner-h3/

Hi, @balbes150.  Could you post the kernel header for major releases (switch to a new branch)? Raising a virtual machine to compile one wi-fi module is unproductive. Thank.

3 hours ago, balbes150 said:

The new version 20181116. Added support for ZRAM , iscsi.

Thank you very much.

I have installed this version and check the open-iscsi: apt install is OK, but service iscsid still fail:

● iscsid.service - iSCSI initiator daemon (iscsid)
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/iscsid.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: activating (start) since Fri 2018-11-16 12:52:51 UTC; 27s ago
     Docs: man:iscsid(8)
  Process: 8838 ExecStart=/sbin/iscsid (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 8835 ExecStartPre=/lib/open-iscsi/startup-checks.sh (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Tasks: 0 (limit: 1895)
   CGroup: /system.slice/iscsid.service

Nov 16 12:52:51 aml systemd[1]: Starting iSCSI initiator daemon (iscsid)...
Nov 16 12:52:52 aml iscsid[8838]: iSCSI logger with pid=8839 started!
Nov 16 12:52:52 aml systemd[1]: iscsid.service: Failed to parse PID from file /run/iscsid.pid: Invalid argument
Nov 16 12:52:52 aml iscsid[8839]: iSCSI daemon with pid=8840 started!
Nov 16 12:52:52 aml iscsid[8839]: can not create NETLINK_ISCSI socket

I found a commit of armbian/build that comments 'Enable iSCSI kernel options for mvebu-next', is it any help for this problem?

thanks again.

1 hour ago, talraash said:

Could you post the kernel header for major releases

1 hour ago, raptorz said:

I have installed this version and check the open-iscsi: apt install is OK, but service iscsid still fail:

It will be in the next version.

1 hour ago, talraash said:

No. On mainline kernel on the arm boards without a separate pmu is just a reboot and no shutdown.

wayland(weston) + mali and v4l2... But it's still bad for "daily uses". For more info, use google translate http://ua3nbw.ru/all/kodi-18-mainline-linux-allwinner-h3/

Thanks for the info, then it seems I have to keep the switch on power adapter, but that is okay.
I had also a quick look on the link, but that seems a bit too much fiddling just for testing it, then I will live with the Krypton on armbian(for real kodi I use libreelec lapotato-007-build).
Is there a way to update the armbian builds, or is it mandatory to do always a fresh install?!

2 hours ago, zogu said:

@talraash H3 is 32bit board, i think it is much better supported, are you shure this will work on 64bit cpu?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Huge problem - mali blob... if you find blob, and use v4l2... It can work as proof of concept, but as i write not for daily use... link - as an example.

Version 5.67 20181117.

Added support for ISCSI and deb packages kernel, header etc.

The version of the image with Xenial - will be assembled only on request.

p.s. When checking, it turned out that WiFi works on Khadas VIM2 Basic (with AP6356S chip). Khadas VIM1 (s905x) works WiFi and BT. :)

Accidentally discovered in the latest version of Armbian 5.67 (VIM2) reaction (sound is added and decreased when the test video is played) control the sound volume in MPV from the remote control from Khadas. I wonder if it’s just me or other people’s as well ?

On 11/16/2018 at 5:37 PM, balbes150 said:

The new version 20181116. Added support for ZRAM

I am using the latest version.

Zram is a total success. Has made a big difference to my Mecool 1 GB s912.

Much Much more stable OS.

But I lost ethernet driver so I just plugged a wifi dongle in and all is working. Thanks heaps babes.

On 11/15/2018 at 9:41 PM, Turgus said:

Actually I'm running the 181113 Ubuntu desktop from internal memory and testing the 181114 version of it from micro sd card on an x96mini s905w p281 2/16 tv box. Armbian runs pretty nice with Ethernet connection, but with some little issues:

Most annoying is the color inverted pink-green screen on every boot up. After re-plugging HDMI the colors are okay, but that prevents to place the box in shelf. I got the same issue on balbes' libreelec builds, but there colors are right automatically after kodi splash screen coming up on x96mini and tx3mini. Not at armbian where I always need to unplug and reconnect HDMI to get a proper color. Is there a simple way/setting to get rid of the inverted picture on start (of x)?!

Now checked the latest version on Ubuntu 5.67 x96 mini to dtb (meson-gxl-s905x-khadas-vim.dtb). The system starts, the monitor works without problems. The start of the graphical shell takes about 1-2 minutes, no WiFi and BT. The remote control from Khadas VIM works in MPV (adjusts the sound, can rewind the video, etc.). The standard remote control from x96 mini does not work.

Shutdown works correctly. After switching off, just press the button on the remote control and the system starts again.

I have a strange issue and I digged it a bit on google but I can't see what's exactly wrong. In dmesg I see:

[ 1005.422372] ath10k_sdio mmc2:0001:1: failed to write to address 0x828: -84
[ 1005.422392] ath10k_sdio mmc2:0001:1: unable to disable sdio interrupts: -84
[ 1147.797298] ath10k_sdio mmc2:0001:1: WARNING: ath10k SDIO support is incomplete, don't expect anything to work!
[ 1147.823159] ath10k_sdio mmc2:0001:1: Failed to find firmware-N.bin (N between 2 and 6) from ath10k/QCA9377/hw1.0: -2
[ 1147.823166] ath10k_sdio mmc2:0001:1: could not fetch firmware files (-2)
[ 1147.823192] ath10k_sdio mmc2:0001:1: could not probe fw (-2)

I have checked the relative firmware folder and I have the firmwares:

root@aml:/lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA9377/hw1.0# pwd
/lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA9377/hw1.0
root@aml:/lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA9377/hw1.0# ls
board-2.bin  board.bin  firmware-5.bin  firmware-6.bin  notice_ath10k_firmware-5.txt  notice_ath10k_firmware-6.txt

Is it possible that it's looking for the firmwares in another folder instead of the standard one? (CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR != /lib/firmware) 

Thanks!

35 minutes ago, r4w said:

I have a strange issue and I digged it a bit on google but I can't see what's exactly wrong. In dmesg I see:

I have checked the relative firmware folder and I have the firmwares:

Can't advise you on your specific device but I had a similar problem and it was down to incorrect firmware file names.
I had to go back to the original working Android and find the firmware_path, nv_path etc by using dmseg and comparing file sizes/md5sum signatures.
The specific device was t95 (Armbian forum post).

How do I properly update to the newest version using the .dep packages? I have tried

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

but there were errors with these packages:

• firmware-aml-full-20181114_5.67_arm64.deb
  • linux-image-aml-s9xxx_5.67_arm64.deb
  • linux-libc-dev-aml-s9xxx_5.67_arm64.deb

Thank you!

27 minutes ago, dbsharpe said:

Can't advise you on your specific device but I had a similar problem and it was down to incorrect firmware file names.
I had to go back to the original working Android and find the firmware_path, nv_path etc by using dmseg and comparing file sizes/md5sum signatures.
The specific device was t95 (Armbian forum post).

Thanks! According to the error, the filename is correct (Failed to find firmware-N.bin (N between 2 and 6) from ath10k/QCA9377/hw1.00). Looking at other forums, I saw similar errors but reporting the full path, for example: e.g. /lib/firmware.ath10k/QCA9377/hw1.00, that's why I'm wondering where it's expecting to find the firmwares. 

On 11/17/2018 at 12:18 AM, balbes150 said:

Version 5.67 20181117.

Added support for ISCSI and deb packages kernel, header etc.

The version of the image with Xenial - will be assembled only on request.

p.s. When checking, it turned out that WiFi works on Khadas VIM2 Basic (with AP6356S chip). Khadas VIM1 (s905x) works WiFi and BT. :)

Tried this and found after flashing to eMMC (install-2018.sh), ethernet MAC address keep changing after every reboot. any idea or fix? (X96 Pro+ 3G/32G)

Note: I am using server version, not desktop.

Edit#1: As a workaround edited /etc/network/interfaces to set static info