NanoPi M4 performance and consumption review

On 9/29/2018 at 5:48 AM, Jason Law said:

On a different note regarding the heat sink, are you better off with a fan blowing from the top down? Or from the side for heat dissipation?

Depends. Though in all my tests blowing air laterally performed best (see here or here). With NanoPi M4 just some airflow through the heatsink fins is already sufficient (tested it behind a server PSU's 'hot air' outlet).

But of course you can easily conduct your own tests. Simply use sbc-bench's thermal testing mode and if you want to adjust your fan setup interactively then use the installed cpuminer application in /usr/local/src/ (but please keep in mind that with the huge thermal mass of NanoPi M4's heatsink it's very easy too fool yourself and that's why I would always recommend a combined sbc-bench -t/-T test run)

1 hour ago, Teal said:

If it would be a Marvell based 4-port SATA - and omv compatible like this one for example

I recommended the 88SE9235 for a reason and @mindee said they would use this chip. I hope you're aware that there exist RK3399 boards with full PCIe slots already? PCIe functionality is only a kernel thing (drivers and device-tree settings) and a board design issue (PCB trace lengths/routing and signal quality)

On 9/23/2018 at 1:37 PM, mindee said:

Thanks for your suggestion, we made a SATA HAT prototype for NanoPi M4, it can connect  with 4x 3.5inch hard drive and work well.

IMG_1132.thumb.jpg.69c80a5030248bdb5cdbe0e7c3965689.jpg

That HAT would be the cat's pyjamas:

catspyjamas.jpg.6ed6c787c48b95a8b36abd128a2ad6d5.jpg

On 9/29/2018 at 5:48 AM, Jason Law said:

On a different note regarding the heat sink, are you better off with a fan blowing from the top down? Or from the side for heat dissipation?

Here my temperatures with a small fan on the underside and some screws to raise it. As tkaiser said. It works better when the fan blows over a larger area. This works good enough.
It's a great heatsink. But the downside is that it heats up the whole board. So I don't think it's healty to constantly run it at 85°C. I've done it for 1h for a test. The board smelled badly. I want do it again. With low loads it doesn't heat up quickly.

Temperature
---------------
Armbian Bionic/Stretch 64-bit 2Ghz + 1.5Ghz
                        With fan idle        36°C
                        With fan maxed   65°C
                        No fan idle           40°C
                        No fan maxed     Throttles at 85°C after 14m30s

Lubuntu armhf/arm64 1.8Ghz + 1.4GHz
                        With fan idle       29°C
                        With fan maxed   54°C
                        No fan idle          42°C
                        No fan maxed     69°C (after 30 minutes maxed)

nanopi.png.de985170d1d6938e149dd18ace153153.png

Very very interested in an availability date for the SATA HAT. I am somebody who will connect an SSD to this board, not so much for performance as for lower power dissipation and noise. :)

I could use the USB 3 ports for this, but the enclosure I'm envisioning would make this far more awkward than something which attaches to the top of the board.

1 hour ago, mlevistm said:

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum. Does anyone know if the SATA HAT will power the NanoPi M4 board too? I see a power connector on the HAT.

Thanks

It's very possible as the board can be powered from the 5v pin and a ground.

Oh,You are all cool guys.

I first try to use the neo4 to make a bt server in my school.

But the network server will crashed when I download bt from the websit through ipv6.

And I even can't ping it successful.

When I restart the eth0,it work agian.

But When bt a few minutes,it crashed again.

And I try many ways to find out the reason.

But I don't know why.

So I give up this device.

And I buy a Nano pi M4 for testing if it has the same problem.

In Neo4 with 5v4a,I test the seq speed from sftp to my computer.

The speed is only 50MB, and write speed is only 30MB.

I test it in a ntfs usb3 hdd disk.

the speed when i use the ntfs in my computer or other arm board is always 100MB.

I don't know why.

if it is neo4 has some handware bug or software bug??

all is gone,next I will try use nanopi m4 as a test in bt server, smb server and sftp server

1 hour ago, littlema said:

if it is neo4 has some handware bug or software bug??

Both. Some are known, some not. That is the main reason why none of RK3399 based hardware doesn't have a label "stable". 

Bluetooth is one of the last functions we focus on. There are many other more critical issues, which have to be fixed before that. In new boards as such it is usually better to use well known and fully supported USB BT dongles. Until support for internal improves. I am afraid you don't have any choices. Other images are only at this level or worse.

With which ARM board you have sftp speed of 100Mb/s?

14 hours ago, Igor said:

Both. Some are known, some not. That is the main reason why none of RK3399 based hardware doesn't have a label "stable". 

Bluetooth is one of the last functions we focus on. There are many other more critical issues, which have to be fixed before that. In new boards as such it is usually better to use well known and fully supported USB BT dongles. Until support for internal improves. I am afraid you don't have any choices. Other images are only at this level or worse.

Do you know zidoo x9s ?

It's a tv box which can enable openwrt and android both.

I test the smb speed in zidoo x9s with my usb3 hdd disk in ntfs,

the speed is same as in the computer.100MB/s (not '100Mb/s')

But it has a big box,and I don't need the tv function.

So I sell it.

But It's openwrt's function in usb3 disk is very good.

But when it download bt,the speed is a little slow.

my bt is BitTorrent.

I'm Sorry,It's not Bluetooth.

I don't need the Bluetooth.

16 hours ago, Igor said:

I find out the problem.

the network eth0 will not work in my network enviroment,and other people who use the same network card have the same problem with me.

It's because the enviroment in my school.

And I change another network card with usb,the problem has solved.

9 hours ago, Igor said:

Compare apples with apples. SFTP is encrypted transfer.

yes,but the network will crashed when i download bittorrent file from bt server.

And I don't know why.

When I change to use the usb network card.every thing work good

Good news.

https://www.friendlyarm.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=254

it is out and the price is not bad either IMHO. So with ~95$ you can have a nice NAS (now the only thing missing is a good case) :)

On 2/20/2019 at 10:39 AM, orion said:

Good news.

https://www.friendlyarm.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=254

it is out and the price is not bad either IMHO. So with ~95$ you can have a nice NAS (now the only thing missing is a good case) :)

I did order one.

On my board I got with samba ~ 80 MB/s read write with encrypted 2,5 " harddrive connected with an usb usap adapter. Somewho upload is faster then download a bit.

Edited by igraltist

14 minutes ago, igraltist said:

I did order one.

On my board I got with samba ~ 80 MB/s read write with encrypted 2,5 " harddrive connected with an usb usap adapter. Somewho upload is faster then download a bit.

Are you using an SSD or HDD? Because if that's a 2.5" HDD you are likely hitting the max write speed of the disk.

On 9/15/2018 at 11:39 AM, hjc said:

Not yet, recently I'm trying to use M4 (with mainline kernel) as a network router & gateway (connect 2-3 RTL8153, set up VLAN, routing, NAT, and site to site VPN), and still trying to resolve some USB related issues. Currently with mainline kernel the USB hub must be manually reset (USBDEVFS_RESET) after reboot, or it wouldn't be usable.

With OpenWRT, by any chance? :)

I'm searching for someone who would make the M4 and Neo4 compatible with OpenWRT (ideal board for LTE M.2 modems which uses USB3 or PCIe)

20 minutes ago, Tantalum said:

With OpenWRT, by any chance? :)

I'm searching for someone who would make the M4 and Neo4 compatible with OpenWRT (ideal board for LTE M.2 modems which uses USB3 or PCIe)

Firefly folks supposedly have a OpenWRT fork running on the RK3399...

https://bbs.t-firefly.com/forum-103-1.html

There's no official target on OpenWRT Master yet for Rockchip (in general, much less the 3399)...

18 hours ago, Jason Law said:

That would explain why your upload is faster. I wonder if this board could saturate a gigabit link with a faster hard drive.

It could - take a look at the iperf numbers, and then local iozone with attached storage....

Might take some tuning to get there, considering the maturity of this chip, but it's realistic to expect good numbers there...

On 2/24/2019 at 10:35 PM, sfx2000 said:

It could - take a look at the iperf numbers, and then local iozone with attached storage....

Might take some tuning to get there, considering the maturity of this chip, but it's realistic to expect good numbers there...

Now with an older intel ssd over the usb 3

NFS unencrypted partition, download ~ 107 MB/s

NFS encrypted partition, download ~ 104 MB/S

To upload or download von uncrypted partition has less peeks. Its quit stable. Encrypted is a bit flickering.

Samba download and upload   ~ 80/MBs.

Does not matter if encrypted or not.

NFS unencrypted from emmc, download ~ 65 MB/s.

NFS unecnrypted from emmc, updload ~ very flickering.

Have to build a script for more precise time measurament.

Tunning is not finnish :D

I

On 3/3/2019 at 3:23 PM, igraltist said:

Now with an older intel ssd over the usb 3

NFS unencrypted partition, download ~ 107 MB/s

NFS encrypted partition, download ~ 104 MB/S

To upload or download von uncrypted partition has less peeks. Its quit stable. Encrypted is a bit flickering.

Samba download and upload   ~ 80/MBs.

Does not matter if encrypted or not.

NFS unencrypted from emmc, download ~ 65 MB/s.

NFS unecnrypted from emmc, updload ~ very flickering.

Have to build a script for more precise time measurament.

Tunning is not finnish :D

I got now with usb3 adatper and sata adapter full gbit network speed.