1 1
NicoD

Odroid N2+ / N2 Plus

Armbianmonitor:

Hi all. 
I've recently received the Odroid N2+. Since nobody else started a topic about it, I'll be the one. 
All works fine with Armbian since not much hardware changes have been made vs the N2. Except for the CPU frequency.

With the Odroid Ubuntu you can set it to 2.4Ghz for the big cores A73 as overclock (2208 stock)., and 2016Mhz for the A53 cores (1908  stock). 

With Armbian the max clocks are 2Ghz for all cores. Using Armbian Focal 4.9 legacy.
I tried setting the higher values in config.ini. Also tried with the "meson64_odroidn2_plus.dtb" file from the Odroid Ubuntu. Doesn't boot with that. (What do I know :D)

Other changes are the RTC battery that's now on the board. 
The heatsink has changed a little. But it's still more than sufficient to keep it cool even when overclocked. 

USB3 still rather s*cks on it. Slow and a lot of issues with 2.4Ghz dongles(wifi/keyboard...).
Too bad they didn't do anything about that. But that probably could have complicated compatibility with N2 images. 

Also feels a bit more sluggish than RK3399 on NVMe vs 128GB eMMC on the N2+.  That's what fast I/O does. I'll try on USB3-NVMe later.

Here some pictures. 1st pic the N2+ with its case open.
2nd picture the N2 left and the N2+ on the right.

DSCN6203.JPG.f766627dc0dcce9fbbb100793d06f4f8.JPGDSCN6207.JPG.4b5bda2e09c73a78971e4dd9fa4f9579.JPG
Cheers all.

Armbian is a community driven open source project. Do you like to contribute your code?

The N2 plus set to 2.4GHZ + 2.0GHZ works like a storm on the manufacturer's ubuntu firmware. I did not even try Armbian because there was no image that would support such frequencies. But it would be nice to support N2 +. I ordered fan. It works when you rich 65 degrees C

tobetter's Gnome-wayland is the best build I've ever used out of my 2 SBC's.  Rock64 and the N2+.   Just got the N2+ last week and it's as good as folks are saying so far.   So today I built Armbian Deb bullseye-dev for it and I thought you might like to know how it went.

Flashed to sdcard booted first try.   Same as the Ubu focal-dev last week.   Both run great but the nic on the UBU broke as you know using armbian-config to upgrade it to nightly.   The bullseye nic won't download during first upgrade faster than 1-10k p/s.

Popped a wireless nic in , finished upgrade and rebooted.   Solid blue/red lights no boot.   Maybe they are related.

Figured you could use the info.  When I get free time I like to experiment with cutting edge builds of a few arm distro's.  

FYI   I'm waiting for a patch set for mainline kernel on Manjaro hoping panfrost gets support working soon through mesa.

At this time the tobetter libMali drivers seem the way to go until then.  I will attempt an Armbian KDE build/install when panfrost/mesa/mainline is more advanced.  

Cheers, Archetech

Update  8-13-20         Thanks to the dev team I can report that my N2+ is now officially OC'ed to 2100  vs 1800 Mhz and idles at 29 C.    Lanefu built the latest Boot stuff  and I hand edited the boot.ini to match the new dual use- n2 and plus one at github.  Sadly we confirmed the nic can't receive well at all.   Looking forward to more progess on this SBC.

On 8/12/2020 at 4:11 PM, archetech said:

Sadly we confirmed the nic can't receive well at all. 

I remember having the same issue with the N2 when it came out. Most packages got lost.
When putting it to 100Mbit it dit work. With a patch it got fixed. I don't know if this problem is related.
https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?t=34497