RK3399 Orange Pi

Igor

1 hour ago, martinayotte said:

Interesting !

Really? It follows RK3399 reference design pretty closely but adds an ASM1061 or maybe ASM1062 to attach a SATA disk. Regarding pricing and software support some information can already be found here: http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/11/25/firefly-rk3399-development-board-will-fly-with-rockchip-rk3399-hexa-core-processor/#comment-536776  (even same Ampak for non-crappy Wi-FI used here but what's the use case for an ARM board that costs as much as a real Mini PC?)

10 hours ago, tkaiser said:

what's the use case for an ARM board that costs as much as a real Mini PC?

A good question. There are tons of setop-box builders and I am sure other industries that could make use of "cheaper" development boards.

It ships with tons of connectors..

2 hours ago, Tido said:

It ships with tons of connectors..

13 hours ago, tkaiser said:

Really? It follows RK3399 reference design pretty closely but adds an ASM1061 or maybe ASM1062 to attach a SATA disk. Regarding pricing and software support some information can already be found here: http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/11/25/firefly-rk3399-development-board-will-fly-with-rockchip-rk3399-hexa-core-processor/#comment-536776  (even same Ampak for non-crappy Wi-FI used here but what's the use case for an ARM board that costs as much as a real Mini PC?)

Power efficiency, software made specially for arm platform ?

8 hours ago, richardk said:

I'd love to build a database/search cluster from stacks of Cortex A72 boards.  8GB RAM?  Just wishing...

If you want to experiment (or depending on your needs, move into production), packet rent Cavium ThunderX hosts for 50c/hr

https://www.packet.net/bare-metal/servers/type-2a/

That gives you 96 cores at 2GHz with 128 GB of ram. It makes me feel both happy and slightly dizzy just thinking about it. :)

I intend to buy some time at some point and see how the individual cores stack up against things we can get our hands on. Which brings us back to the rk3399. Sure hope Orange are making progress with their board.

Can anyone running a recent kernel please provide /proc/cpuinfo contents or even better output from 'sudo armbianmonitor -u' when running an image based on Armbian? I'm interested in differentiation strategies for the two CPU clusters.

Edited by tkaiser
Asked in wrong thread

Geekbuying are selling four Android TV boxes based on the RK3399 , The VORKE Z3 seems best specs.

Also there is a development board by Firefly-RK3399

These may be cheaper and available now option.

https://www.geekbuying.com/search?keyword=RK3399

Linux SDK for RK3399 for Videostrong VS-RD-RK3399 also sold by Geekbuying MECOOL Development Board RK3399

On 13 Вересень 2017 р. at 7:59 AM, Lion Wang said:

It's probably not going to be that price  soon, now the R3399 chip is about 20 USD

it's a funny feature bug I encounter not the first time on forums, when the quote is marked as coming from a user which actually isn't a poster of it.

I didn't state that. I'd be glad if they fitted into ~100$ for it. Because what is already released, costs ~250$ (firefly, videostrong), hardly they would be selling it to their loss.

20 hours ago, valant said:

I'd be glad if they fitted into ~100$ for it.

Me too. I'm itching for this board to come out. I keep looking at the firefly but it's going to cost me $$$ by the time I factor in the exchange rate, shipping and the hideous border duties. My guess is $100 would be at the low end of the possible price range for Orange, but the closer they can get to that the happier I will be.

The tv boxes look like great value, but I've had bad experiences with every tv box I've tried so far, so I want to see someone else get Linux up and running on one first :)