9 9
tkaiser

NanoPC T4

I'm having booting issues with the new Bionic Desktop image i.e 19.11.7. It won't boot at all. Black screen with no signal. Sdcard green light flashes only once after 5 secs of starting and then nothing.

Last image worked was 19.11.3 (kernel 4.4.192). 4.4.198 didn't boot either, so I flashed now 19.11.7 (kernel 4.4.208) and it fails as well.

I waited over 25 mins for it to boot.

1 hour ago, Aciel said:

I'm having booting issues with the new Bionic Desktop image i.e 19.11.7. It won't boot at all. Black screen with no signal. Sdcard green light flashes only once after 5 secs of starting and then nothing.

Do you hold boot button? Otherwise it boots something from your eMMC ... I just tried this image and works normally on my T4.

11 hours ago, Igor said:

Yes.

11 hours ago, Igor said:

Do you hold boot button? Otherwise it boots something from your eMMC ... I just tried this image and works normally on my T4.

No, I only hold the power button ~2secs when 1st starting the board and it always boot from sdcard (worked with 19.11.3). I do the same to boot my LibreELEC SDCard. No card,  power on boots Android from eMMC.

6 hours ago, starman345 said:

Maybe try a different SD card?  Those images you mention boot fine on my NanoPC-T4

Tried 2 different SDCards, but same behaviour.

1 hour ago, Aciel said:

but same behaviour.

It is expected to behave like this. If you don't hold boot button, you boot with boot-loader which is present on eMMC. Which is out of our control ... 

46 minutes ago, Igor said:

It is expected to behave like this. If you don't hold boot button, you boot with boot-loader which is present on eMMC. Which is out of our control ... 

I tried with holding the boot button then power up the board, and kept holding the boot button for like 10 secs = Still won't boot.

I'll re-try 19.11.3 (kernel 4.4.192) image now and post result.

13 minutes ago, Aciel said:

I tried with holding the boot button then power up the board, and kept holding the boot button for like 10 secs = Still won't boot.

1. Attach power

2. Hold boot button

3. Power the board and wait until leds start to flash, then release.

My procedure that works for me:

Press boot button and hold, press power button and hold for 4-5 seconds, then release both buttons. If I hold more than about 5 seconds the red power light goes out and I need to start over.

4 minutes ago, Igor said:

1. Attach power

2. Hold boot button

3. Power the board and wait until leds start to flash, then release.

Did the exact thing, no result. Board turns on (red light is there) but it won't boot from sdcard. Will the try last image that worked for me now.

@Igor

I flashed the 19.11.3 (kernel 4.4.192) image and it booted right away (I didn't hold the boot button) and I get to the console. Set user account, etc and I'm in desktop.

Now the diagnostic part about what is wrong with the new images.

When I flashed the 19.11.7 (kernel 4.4.208), this is what my blkid said (sda = sdcard Armbian is flashed to)

# blkid
/dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/mmcblk0: PTUUID="b811ee1f" PTTYPE="dos"
/dev/mmcblk0p1: SEC_TYPE="msdos" LABEL_FATBOOT="LIBREELEC" LABEL="LIBREELEC" UUID="2211-5513" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="b811ee1f-01"
/dev/mmcblk0p2: LABEL="STORAGE" UUID="a321c910-4860-4321-bec0-31d20884f00c" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="b811ee1f-02"
/dev/sda1: PTUUID="02f47b31" PTTYPE="dos" PARTUUID="cf28ecd8-01"
/dev/sdb1: LABEL="Aciel" UUID="4E1AEA7B1AEA6007" TYPE="ntfs" PARTUUID="51e1ebcd-01"
#

Here is the one from 19.11.3 (kernel 4.4.192):

# blkid
/dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/mmcblk0p1: SEC_TYPE="msdos" LABEL_FATBOOT="LIBREELEC" LABEL="LIBREELEC" UUID="2211-5513" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="b811ee1f-01"
/dev/mmcblk0p2: LABEL="STORAGE" UUID="a321c910-4860-4321-bec0-31d20884f00c" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="b811ee1f-02"
/dev/sdb1: LABEL="Aciel" UUID="4E1AEA7B1AEA6007" TYPE="ntfs" PARTUUID="51e1ebcd-01"
/dev/mmcblk0: PTUUID="b811ee1f" PTTYPE="dos"
/dev/sda1: UUID="dd3833fd-2ea5-411b-a48d-91968fe7241f" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="cf28ecd8-01"
#

19.11.7 = creating dos partition and unable to boot

19.11.3 = creates ext4 partition and it boots normally

35 minutes ago, Aciel said:

When I flashed the 19.11.7 (kernel 4.4.208), this is what my blkid said (sda = sdcard Armbian is flashed to)

Images are made in automated fashion, they are also mainly tested. Yes, sometimes things go wrong which is why I test this image: https://dl.armbian.com/nanopct4/archive/Armbian_19.11.7_Nanopct4_bionic_legacy_4.4.208_desktop.7z and it works.

This means problem is 100% not ours. Since you don't have OS on the card, two things remains:
- failed SD card https://forum.armbian.com/forum/31-sd-card-and-psu-issues/

- wrong writing method or troubles with the computer where you write that image https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Getting-Started/#how-to-prepare-a-sd-card